Escape to the Movies: Four Lions

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Well being English anyway I should be fine with it. Definitely want to see it now thanks bob =)

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Strangely enough, I saw about 10 minutes of this film months ago. I was at my local cinema and walked into the wrong screen, sat down and saw this. I thought it was a trailer at first but when it went on coherently for 10 minutes I realised I wasn't in the right place.

Yes, by the way, the characters are that stupid, even from the short amount of time I watched it, it was clear that this was the case.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
This seems a lot like the Rubbish Terrorists cartoon that was on Monkey Dust.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5-aOF7ZWs&feature=related

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
I loved this film and need to get a bloody big copy of it because the creators deserve it. Oh and the Honey Monster's been cool for ages. I respect him more than David Cameron and his Right wing party that is going too far. Fox hunting with dogs hurts the fox immensely, so STOP DOING IT!
Go away leftie, you're not welcome here.

And the Tories are Centre-Right, they're barely different to NuLabour apart from a slightly more liberal economic creed. And I've never heard of them peddling Fox Hunting re-legalization while the coalition has been about.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I saw this on DVD for rent where I work, it's been out here for a long while, I'm surprised this was the film you chose this week.

I've been putting off watching it because I'm not that big on comedy, but I suppose I'll give it a go.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
What's so bad about fox hunting? How is it any different than any other form of hunting that ends with a dead animal?

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
D0WNT0WN said:
It has Omid Djalli in it, he is my favorite comedian.

Im going to see it.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, Omid Djalli isn't in this film. Regardless, go see it.

OT: I agree, good film.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Djinn8 said:
This seems a lot like the Rubbish Terrorists cartoon that was on Monkey Dust.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5-aOF7ZWs&feature=related
Monkey Dust!

The sketch of "The Meatsafe Murderer", "The Pedofinder General" and that one where the step dad has his son around and tries to impress him but fails miserably (and that one episode where that sketch goes severely dark) have always been my favourites.

I suspect you're also a fan of "The League Of Gentlemen" as well? If you are, what did you think of the movie?

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Bah, I forgot about this film, it looks really good. Definately going to get this on DVD.

Holy_Handgrenade

Feb 16, 2009
I'm really suprised they got away with this film with almost no controversy, mainly because it's a british film and we don't complain like some of you Americans but it is a massively british film which I think people in the UK will find amazing but anyone from other countries will find it great but miss out on a lot of jokes and I mean a lot.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
bahumat42 said:
ok having just watched it yesterday its not a musical, and its not python (which is a very particular kind of spoof comedy which we don;t see so often) what it is though is a funny if occaisonally disjointed movie which handles the issues maturely and whilst the characters do over the top things it all seems scarily believable. definantly worth the watch.
Well that's all I needed to hear. LOL Bob actually hooked me in the moment he mentioned a Comedy about terrorists....There is some SUPER SERIOUS LAUGHS waiting for me just by saying that.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
Jack and Calumon said:
I loved this film and need to get a bloody big copy of it because the creators deserve it. Oh and the Honey Monster's been cool for ages. I respect him more than David Cameron and his Right wing party that is going too far. Fox hunting with dogs hurts the fox immensely, so STOP DOING IT!
Go away leftie, you're not welcome here.

And the Tories are Centre-Right, they're barely different to NuLabour apart from a slightly more liberal economic creed. And I've never heard of them peddling Fox Hunting re-legalization while the coalition has been about.
I'm all for having right wing. There are some things I want to keep in this country and traditions to preserve which is what the right wing is about but last Sunday there was talks over a re-legislation of the lifting the fox hunting ban, which is totally not cool.

I wouldn't call myself Left Wing, as I hate the people who want to change society and try to improve it as well but there are some things which need to be kept the same and some things that need to change. For example, Health and Safety taking away "Cheese Rolling" over how dangerous it could POTENTIALLY be is too much, but keeping Fox hunting with dogs is not cool either.

Also, you discriminate against Left Wing people? That's not nice. Then again, I wasn't expressing all my views right so we can call it even.

Finally, no more arguing, I was foolish to discuss politics outside of the Politics board which we could debate there.

Calumon: They all look to smart... why can't they look more fun! :D

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Absolutely loved the movie, for me hands down top movie of the year.

I think it pushes the boundaries quite brilliantly, because it gets you to the very edge of the cliff where you get a perfect view of what comedy is all about.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
JaredXE said:
What's so bad about fox hunting? How is it any different than any other form of hunting that ends with a dead animal?
o_O sorry this is off topic, but the moment you mentioned Fox-hunting I immediately snapped to that awesome scene of Metal Gear Solid where Greyfox was fighting Metal Gear Rex!

Liquid: "In the Middle East we don't hunt Foxes, we hunt Jackals and instead of Foxhounds we use Royal Harriers"

Gentlemen Time for the Hunt!

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
fanklok said:
J03bot said:
How have I not heard of this? I was semi-expecting a review of Let Me In, and then this rolls along? I am intrigued, and shall endeavour to see it.

And yes, the Honey Monster is awesome. As my Sugar Puffs T-shirt suggests.

But Let me in was released forever ago, I don't even think it's still in theaters.

What the hell is a honey monster
It only just came out in the UK... Silly slow release dates.
Did you watch the video? The Honey Monster is basically the mascot type thing for a breakfast cereal in the UK called Sugar Puffs. They're amazing!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Saw this last night actually, it is very good. There are quite a few British references, and you kinda need to know a fair bit about Britain to understand this fully.

Other than the obvious story about the terrorists, it also has a MASSIVE undertone about how the West (mostly Britain) are dealing with the issue of terrorism. From politicians to the police, it's the British equivalent of the South Park episode where they bury their heads in the sand, only instead of ignoring the issue, the politicians/police are over reacting and getting things wrong because they don't fully understand the REAL issue.

While it is a comedy, it's also an apt commentary of how things are, or have been going on in the UK. If you are American or any other nationality, you should watch it, but be prepared not to find it as funny as we might. If any of you watch it, which I recommend, make sure you watch the credits. You'll find out where that bazooka missile went...

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
JaredXE said:
Because they chase the fox with a pack of dogs for fecking ages and then don't eat it or anything worthwhile.

Just terrorizing the animal and killing it as a group instead of hunting for food or any other reason than just to scare and kill it.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
This was one of the best films me and my friends ever had the pleasure of watching.

We were still laughing when we left the cinema, XD.

kinky257

Apr 15, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
I've had this on DVD for a little while now being terribly British (was released in september i think) and all i have to say is go and see it. It's a perfect antidote to an issue especially america has very little grasp on the reality of, it's both hilerious and an insight into just how absurd the reaction and perception of terrorism is.

Also crow-bomb.
Indeed, the films insight into our reaction to terrorism is pretty amazing given that the rest of the film is essentually an Ealing comedy, easily the funniest and most disturbing film I've seen this year.