Escape to the Movies: Fury - Tank You Very Much

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fury - Tank You Very Much

Fury is a good, brutal war movie that breaks the mold.

Watch Video

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I was wondering about this movie. It didn't look quite typical. I'm glad that it's not. I'll give it a shot when I get the chance.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Didn't know you fallowed the borderlands series bob.

Anyway yeah while ww2 movies are not my thing, I might rent this one to watch with my grandfather. He was too young when ww2 happened but he enlisted during korea but the fighting ended as he was getting on the plane so he spent 2 years as an MP in Germany.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I will watch it when I can, the money must be preserved for the releases I want in the video game department. I kinda like that, I've spent most of 2014 watching films every week, then switch to games after the end of summer (August was kinda barren for both).

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Wasn't it Bob himself who said that Shia can act if you give him an actual role, a character? In Lawless (2012).

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Well this suddenly looks like something I want to see

I just thought it was another braindead "America fuck ya" WW2 flick - but this... this looks interesting

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This looked pretty interesting. At least we have never seen a movie (to my knowledge) that centered around a tank crew. And Brad Pitt tends to pick his movies really well, which is what has kept him a Hollywood A Lister for his entire career.

i4njw

May 7, 2014
"David Ayer, whose films frequently depict savage, angry, unapologetically-brutal characters but also ask: "Does that mean they weren't also people? That their stories don't get told?""

I think he's a good pick for the Suicide Squad film based on that alone.

Definitely going to check this one out. Still have to see Gone Girl, though.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Not sure if I want to support a film who wrecked the only working Tiger left in the world and leaving Bovington Tank Museum with a huge bill to get it working again when they were supposed to look after it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Wait, David Ayer made a Kurt Russell movie? Why didn't anyone tell me?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
i4njw said:
"David Ayer, whose films frequently depict savage, angry, unapologetically-brutal characters but also ask: "Does that mean they weren't also people? That their stories don't get told?""

I think he's a good pick for the Suicide Squad film based on that alone.

Definitely going to check this one out. Still have to see Gone Girl, though.
Yes. You have to go see Gone Girl before it gets spoiled for you. Great, great film.

As for this, doesn't look to bad.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Hmmm, I haven't seen a good World War II movie for a while so it is nice to know that this is at least good as a movie. Now the question remains if it is good as a historical war movie (I study military history intensively).

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Good review, gave me a lot of information without really spoiling anything (as if there was anything to really spoil.)

That said: "War is designed to turn people into psychopaths."

War is designed to turn people into bodies. The stress of it can have harmful effects on people's lives. War is not "designed" to turn people into psychopaths. Next to no one who comes back from a war is turned into one. Seriously, that line sounds deep and all, but it's pretty much total BS. No one I ever served with was turned into a "psychopath." I say this as someone who served in three of the damned things.

Quick Edit: And yea, I know it was just supposed to be kind of a throw away line. War is horrible, blah, blah, blah. It's still a load of horseshit.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
So, uh, is there a reason why the cannon shots about half way though this review look like green and blue lasers?

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Haven't seen it yet, but didn't 'Kelly's Heroes' (one of my favourite war movies of all time) do all this stuff first?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Gorrath said:
Good review, gave me a lot of information without really spoiling anything (as if there was anything to really spoil.)

That said: "War is designed to turn people into psychopaths."

War is designed to turn people into bodies. The stress of it can have harmful effects on people's lives. War is not "designed" to turn people into psychopaths. Next to no one who comes back from a war is turned into one. Seriously, that line sounds deep and all, but it's pretty much total BS. No one I ever served with was turned into a "psychopath." I say this as someone who served in three of the damned things.

Quick Edit: And yea, I know it was just supposed to be kind of a throw away line. War is horrible, blah, blah, blah. It's still a load of horseshit.
Well if we're going to do the "what is war good for" question then I go with Clauswitz and say that war and its objectives are an extension of politics. Its been a very long time since a noble mounted war horse and marched men to fight for him because thats what he is expected to do by his father. Its goal isn't to make men dead but to end war so that one side can have its policy forced upon another. Britain in WWI went to war to protect its flagging hegemony of the sea lanes and investment banking against a Germany that was insisting on being the continental leader of europe and would therefore upset Britain's politics. I also agree though that war isn't a machine to turn men into psychopaths since a psychopath isn't a simple killer of men. A psychopath is a level of selfishness where nothing of compassion or guilt even exists. A soldier still has compassion or guilt for his comrades and modern war doesn't train you to let all your buddies die as long as you get to live.