Escape to the Movies: Fury - Tank You Very Much

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Scorpid said:
Gorrath said:
Good review, gave me a lot of information without really spoiling anything (as if there was anything to really spoil.)

That said: "War is designed to turn people into psychopaths."

War is designed to turn people into bodies. The stress of it can have harmful effects on people's lives. War is not "designed" to turn people into psychopaths. Next to no one who comes back from a war is turned into one. Seriously, that line sounds deep and all, but it's pretty much total BS. No one I ever served with was turned into a "psychopath." I say this as someone who served in three of the damned things.

Quick Edit: And yea, I know it was just supposed to be kind of a throw away line. War is horrible, blah, blah, blah. It's still a load of horseshit.
Well if we're going to do the "what is war good for" question then I go with Clauswitz and say that war and its objectives are an extension of politics. Its been a very long time since a noble mounted war horse and marched men to fight for him because thats what he is expected to do by his father. Its goal isn't to make men dead but to end war so that one side can have its policy forced upon another. Britain in WWI went to war to protect its flagging hegemony of the sea lanes and investment banking against a Germany that was insisting on being the continental leader of europe and would therefore upset Britain's politics. I also agree though that war isn't a machine to turn men into psychopaths since a psychopath isn't a simple killer of men. A psychopath is a level of selfishness where nothing of compassion or guilt even exists. A soldier still has compassion or guilt for his comrades and modern war doesn't train you to let all your buddies die as long as you get to live.
I don't disagree with your point, but I was speaking of war on the level of those fighting it, not the level of the geo-political forces and their goals. The purpose of moving into in an area and engaging the enemy is to create maximum destruction of their forces and materiel. From the standpoint of the soldier, your job is to create dead bodies and destroyed equipment. (I am being simplistic here, there are many military jobs that are not that at all, obviously.)

Even in the role of killer and destroyer, the soldier is not a psychopath, just as you point out, so I appreciate your understanding there. No sane person does this without remorse or care, which is why it's so hard to deal with it afterwards for a lot of people. If we really were psychopaths, PTSD wouldn't be a thing.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Gorrath said:
War is designed to turn people into bodies. The stress of it can have harmful effects on people's lives. War is not "designed" to turn people into psychopaths.
Well, it's not "war" which turns people into bodies, it's other people. Therefore, "war" (or rather, certain elements of military service) are designed to turn people into people who can turn other people into bodies. That's something which most people have an intensely socialized aversion to doing.

I don't think Bob's use of the word "psychopath" was meant to be taken literally. Very few of the people who staffed the death camps were actual psychopaths, they were ordinary people who had friends and family but who still went to work every day and just did their job as part of an institution which turned millions of people into bodies because that's what they'd been trained to do.

This is a horrible truth which people have been trying to wrap their heads around ever since. People don't need to be psychopaths to act like psychopaths. The vast majority of the most horrific atrocities of recent times were carried out by people like you and me, people who had good, functional relationships with other people, who had feelings, compassion for others and at least the capacity for remorse. Those people had to be trained to shut those things off.

Does war turn people into psychopaths? No. Does war make it more likely that people will act like psychopaths? Well, I guess it depends how you see it, but if you take the ability to override that deeply ingrained socialized revulsion towards killing people as one symptom of psychopathy, then war probably brings people closer.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
Odoylerules360 said:
Really, what's with all the red and green lasers?
They are tracer rounds. They burn a particular composition of chemicals to give off a particular colour and light intensity. Tracers are actually old technology, the Brits developed the first generation of them in 1915.
---

For those who are familiar with the technical aspects of WW2 tanks, how authentic is the tank combat? In the trailer, there is a sequence where a near point blank shot from a German Tiger glances off a US Sherman tank. That is pretty questionable, but it is hard to tell from a split second clip.

Any depiction or mention of the Commonwealth forces in the adjacent sector? Any acknowledgment of the Soviet offensive into Berlin?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Gorrath said:
Scorpid said:
Gorrath said:
Good review, gave me a lot of information without really spoiling anything (as if there was anything to really spoil.)

That said: "War is designed to turn people into psychopaths."

War is designed to turn people into bodies. The stress of it can have harmful effects on people's lives. War is not "designed" to turn people into psychopaths. Next to no one who comes back from a war is turned into one. Seriously, that line sounds deep and all, but it's pretty much total BS. No one I ever served with was turned into a "psychopath." I say this as someone who served in three of the damned things.

Quick Edit: And yea, I know it was just supposed to be kind of a throw away line. War is horrible, blah, blah, blah. It's still a load of horseshit.
Well if we're going to do the "what is war good for" question then I go with Clauswitz and say that war and its objectives are an extension of politics. Its been a very long time since a noble mounted war horse and marched men to fight for him because thats what he is expected to do by his father. Its goal isn't to make men dead but to end war so that one side can have its policy forced upon another. Britain in WWI went to war to protect its flagging hegemony of the sea lanes and investment banking against a Germany that was insisting on being the continental leader of europe and would therefore upset Britain's politics. I also agree though that war isn't a machine to turn men into psychopaths since a psychopath isn't a simple killer of men. A psychopath is a level of selfishness where nothing of compassion or guilt even exists. A soldier still has compassion or guilt for his comrades and modern war doesn't train you to let all your buddies die as long as you get to live.
I don't disagree with your point, but I was speaking of war on the level of those fighting it, not the level of the geo-political forces and their goals. The purpose of moving into in an area and engaging the enemy is to create maximum destruction of their forces and materiel. From the standpoint of the soldier, your job is to create dead bodies and destroyed equipment. (I am being simplistic here, there are many military jobs that are not that at all, obviously.)

Even in the role of killer and destroyer, the soldier is not a psychopath, just as you point out, so I appreciate your understanding there. No sane person does this without remorse or care, which is why it's so hard to deal with it afterwards for a lot of people. If we really were psychopaths, PTSD wouldn't be a thing.
In short, Bob let his politics flop out on the table again. I hope he's not the type who thinks all soldiers are bad, especially ours. Now I'm dreading what he'll say in his Intermission column about Captain America 3.

OT: I had a feeling that Fury is going to be good. If I can find some free time to watch this, I'll see it. Was anyone able to read that poster at the end with the whale in it?

captcha: Built Ford Tough
A good way to describe the tank in the title role, and its crew

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Higgs303 said:
For those who are familiar with the technical aspects of WW2 tanks, how authentic is the tank combat? In the trailer, there is a sequence where a near point blank shot from a German Tiger glances off a US Sherman tank. That is pretty questionable, but it is hard to tell from a split second clip.
It is pretty questionable because even though they aren't super powered like modern day tanks, they still can pack a punch. Or in this case, one shot would obliterate the other battle worn tank out just like that.

Regarding my desire to see this film... I am probably going to pick it up when it's on DVD because: 1. It has Shia LeDouche in it. And for the second reason: Brad Pitt his hilarious performance as Lt. Aldo Raine has ruined any future World War 2 film association for me.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
evilthecat said:
Well, it's not "war" which turns people into bodies, it's other people. Therefore, "war" (or rather, certain elements of military service) are designed to turn people into people who can turn other people into bodies. That's something which most people have an intensely socialized aversion to doing.
We are not actually that socialized to be adverse to killing members of "other tribes." We are more socially and even evolutionarily geared toward being peaceful within our own tribe, and being quite deadly against opposing tribes. Your point that it isn't "war" that turns people into bodies is, I think, mostly semantic. War is the institution of major military conflict, to say it doesn't kill people seems like a stretch. Contrary to what some think, the military doesn't have to break you down, steal your personality and empathy and turn you into a killing machine. As it turns out, humans aren't all that adverse to killing, though I am, obviously, speaking in the broadest of scopes here.

I don't think Bob's use of the word "psychopath" was meant to be taken literally. Very few of the people who staffed the death camps were actual psychopaths, they were ordinary people who had friends and family but who still went to work every day and just did their job as part of an institution which turned millions of people into bodies because that's what they'd been trained to do.
I won't presume one interpretation of his meaning over another, but there seems to be two ways to take what he said. Either war does actually turn people into psychopaths, or else war and its institutions cause regular, sane people to act like psychopaths. Either way you slice it, he's dead wrong. There is nothing inherently psychopathic about fighting in a war. Now that does not mean it's all sunshine and roses or that atrocities aren't committed by people who either break down mentally or really are psychopathic, but again, we're speaking in broad tones here. Again, I didn't take Bob's words as some literal condemnation of soldiers or a suggestion that we're all raving lunatics, I just didn't like what he said because it was horse manure.

This is a horrible truth which people have been trying to wrap their heads around ever since. People don't need to be psychopaths to act like psychopaths. The vast majority of the most horrific atrocities of recent times were carried out by people like you and me, people who had good, functional relationships with other people, who had feelings, compassion for others and at least the capacity for remorse. Those people had to be trained to shut those things off.

Does war turn people into psychopaths? No. Does war make it more likely that people will act like psychopaths? Well, I guess it depends how you see it, but if you take the ability to override that deeply ingrained socialized revulsion towards killing people as one symptom of psychopathy, then war probably brings people closer.
If you think one just "shuts off" things like remorse, compassion or empathy, I'd say you're wrong if you're speaking about most people. At no point did I ever shut off any of that stuff. There was nothing psychopathic about calling in a mortar attack on a machine gun nest, or an air strike on a sniper position, or firing down range at targets more than willing to shoot back at me. It was simply a matter of doing what had to be done, even if it was messy business. We knew we were killing people and we weren't happy about it either, but we also knew that if we didn't kill them, they'd try to kill us. Our willingness to do what we did was not only not psychopathic, it was so normal as to be practically mundane.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Apparently Shia LaBeouf went above and beyond for this movie. He had his front tooth removed and cut his face because he didn't think the make up was realistic enough.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/shia-labeouf-slashed-his-own-face-with-a-knife-to-make-his-fury-character-more-realistic-says-costar-logan-lerman-9776923.html

Say what you want about him, you can't fault his dedication.

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
When I saw Brad Pitt was in the movie, this is what came to mind.

Thank you America, for giving us your hunks so we could be free.

arcade109

Jul 7, 2010
Anyone else hear the Alien trailer music on that last clip? Maybe I have just been playing too much Isolation.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
The only thing I dislike in this review is the subtext of: "War makes Psychopaths".
During wartimes yes, but I think all the Grandpas (for the 30 years old if we talk about WW2) beeing Psychopaths otherwise is a rather loose thread, that only developed VERY few times RL on whatever side of the conflict.

And despite usually not having too much nice words for either side of the war (I'm looking at the Bombers. >.<): Your Graps prolly isn't / wasn't a Psychopath. Not after the war. :p

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Murlin said:
When I saw Brad Pitt was in the movie, this is what came to mind.

Thank you America, for giving us your hunks so we could be free.
I absolutely love Kate Beaton. If ever I were to offer myself in marriage to someone based on their sense of humor alone, it'd be her.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Wolf Hagen said:
The only thing I dislike in this review is the subtext of: "War makes Psychopaths".
During wartimes yes, but I think all the Grandpas (for the 30 years old if we talk about WW2) beeing Psychopaths otherwise is a rather loose thread, that only developed VERY few times RL on whatever side of the conflict.

And despite usually not having too much nice words for either side of the war (I'm looking at the Bombers. >.<): Your Graps prolly isn't / wasn't a Psychopath. Not after the war. :p
Sorry, I've already been ranting about this above but I just wanted to add something I've already said up there here. I agree with your point except to say that even during the war we aren't psychopaths nor acting in a psychopathic way. I probably seem like I"m harping on this at this point but it just irks me to think that people believe that soldiers act in a psychopathic way when at war. On the whole, we're just regular people doing regular, rational shit in an extraordinary situation. Firing on armed people who want to kill you isn't psychopathic in the least. Other than that one bit, I think your point is great, so please don't take my one criticism of it too harshly.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
When I saw the two second clip of Pitt with the STG I thought the film was about a Panzer crew desperately fighting an impossible war. Big disappointment.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
If you like fury, you might like world of tanks!

come blow up some tanks today!

hit me up if you want to play some tanks ;p

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
usually sick and tired of WW2 movies and games. but maybe i give this one a try. otherwise i just wait for it to be released on dvd.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Here's the thing that bugs me. That's a Sherman Firefly, with the long 17 pounder gun. The Americans didn't use them, the Commonwealth armies did since they were modified by the UK. US armor doctrine in WW2 called for specialized Tank Destroyers like a Hellcat or a Grizzly, which were usually less armored, faster and having higher caliber guns, while regular Shermans were infantry support.

Since both these tanks came from the Bovington museum in the film, I can forgive them, though, since the Firefly's long gun makes it look a hell of a lot more threatening. Also, did the film crew actually break the tanks while filming? I thought they said that they didn't have a problem with Tiger 131.