Escape to the Movies: Gravity

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
That really looks amazing. Unfortunately the only Cuaron movie I saw was that Harry Potter one. It will launch on the 10th here in Brazil, so I'll definitely look for it then.

Also, since there's no more "buy my book" for 30 seconds, could the episodes go back to its 5-6ish minutes of glory?

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
That last shot shown from the movie just makes me think of 'Major Tom'

Dansrage

Nov 9, 2010
Man just the footage gives me chills, if anyone else here has played Orbiter Space Flight Simulator you know the abject horror of finding yourself floating 3 feet from safety but without enough fuel to actually reach it, or overshooting by a few meters and realizing you have too much momentum to turn around and try again.
Seeing astronauts flying around like ping pong balls is a terrifying, exciting and eerily realistic prospect.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Dansrage said:
Man just the footage gives me chills, if anyone else here has played Orbiter Space Flight Simulator you know the abject horror of finding yourself floating 3 feet from safety but without enough fuel to actually reach it, or overshooting by a few meters and realizing you have too much momentum to turn around and try again.
Seeing astronauts flying around like ping pong balls is a terrifying, exciting and eerily realistic prospect.
Yeah, my first reaction to seeing the trailers and stuff was "This looks like it's going to be a great movie and whatnot, but that looks terrifying."

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Billy Zane as the Phantom. I remember that. Come to think of it whatever happened to Billy Zane?

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
Hey! -Billy Zane- is always relevant. Always. Remember when he was Ansem in the first Kingdom Hearts? Well you do now!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
maybe one day. it looks interesting when i saw the trailers several times at the movies but never really thought much of it at the same time.

Jan 12, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Hmmmm, maybe I would have been more open to this movie if the trailer didn't have the same soundtrack as the Captain Phillips trailer.
Every trailer sounds similar nowadays, or at least has the same darn sound effect. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA]

OT: I'm glad to hear the movie is good and has decent action; I was afraid it would be 80 minutes of Bullock soliloquies as she floated off into space. Also, thank God Bob got rid of that "joke" advertisement for his book.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
what?! the phantom!? i actually watched that movie as a kid! it was so cool, and then i grew up...

and its still so cool :D

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ken_J said:
Billy Zane as the Phantom. I remember that. Come to think of it whatever happened to Billy Zane?
Just watched him in a good supporting role on Netflix streaming just yesterday: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2139843/?ref_=sr_3

I dunno if I want to see this. Just looks like "Deep Water" but in outer space. If they live, it is going to feel like BS to me.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Every time I think of this movie I'm reminded of the awfully padded space sequence in FFVIII. I was thinking about skipping this one because I was fairly sure that it was going to be overly long sequences of talking before and after 1 big action sequence, but knowing that it goes on throughout changes my perspective a bit.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Jinx program? What's that reference to?

Anywho, great review. Can't wait to see the movie.
I have no idea. For some reason, my Googlefu is failing me.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Jinx program? What's that reference to?

Anywho, great review. Can't wait to see the movie.
I have no idea. For some reason, my Googlefu is failing me.
It would seem to be from Space Camp ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceCamp ).

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
80 minutes of 2 people falling and it was good? I'm not convinced. I'll wait for it to air on TV.

Also, I wish Bob would pick an accent and stick with it. At least the book plug is gone.