Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

Sebster 105

Feb 27, 2011
Isn't it sod's law?
I thought Sod's law was where if it can go wrong it will and Murphy's Law is "if something good happens something just as bad will happen

correct me if I'm wrong

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
One question MovieBob.

Did you not see the Greenlantern trailer with Deadpool spoof? That pretty much highlighted exactly why this will be shit. The trailer on itself (the first one at least before the spin doctors got their hands on it) smelled like shit.

At least I look at this in a positive light. Every single reviewer on the internet MIGHT post a video ripping Green Lantern to shreds. That will be highly entertaining for the coming week.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
aei_haruko said:
hey guys, out of curiosity how many of you guys watched the movie? If so and you're commenting, why not give it a chance? I LOVE moviebob, and I respect his work, but the only true judge of something is YOU
Because movies cost money to watch and being able to make a valid opinion isn't a good enough reason to put money in to something. Its being pretty universally paned so I think I'll just pass.

aei_haruko

Jun 12, 2011
drisky said:
aei_haruko said:
hey guys, out of curiosity how many of you guys watched the movie? If so and you're commenting, why not give it a chance? I LOVE moviebob, and I respect his work, but the only true judge of something is YOU
Because movies cost money to watch and being able to make a valid opinion isn't a good enough reason to put money in to something. Its being pretty universally paned so I think I'll just pass.
Although I adimt you have points I disagree. How many great reviews did Transformers 1 get? How many bad reviews did sucker punch, scott pilgrim, and machete get? I'm just saying. Like I loved those movies, especially the last one considering I'm in tenshin aikido. BUt people ( including moviebob ) had told me that some of those movies were bad/ good movies when I disagreed. Ya know? Plus if I follow what everybody else says then what makes me "me".Idk, do ya disagree on this with me?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm not a critic, but when I saw in the tv trailers...

Main Character showing his new suit to someone who looks amazed: "I KNOW, RIGHT??"

Narrator explains why he uses his powers: "to kick ass!"

...I knew it was going to be horrible so I didn't need to see it. I don't read comics anyway, but if I did, I migh be part of the comic nerd rebellion forming against hollywood.

Sir-jackington

Aug 12, 2009
Steel was feckin awesome! one of the best movie of my childhood, don't dis it! oh and thats a disappointment about the Green Lantern i was looking forward to it, maybe i'll get drunk beforehand, that usually makes bad movies seem awesome

LordOfTheDance

Mar 30, 2009
TheZooblord said:
This is very similar to how I felt. Though I have slightly more experience with Green Lantern, had a subscription for about a decade as a kid when Kyle was the lantern.

The movie wasn't perfect and had some weird logical failures. But it was still a good popcorn action flick.

Super hero movies have improved greatly in the last few years and this one does not measure up to Iron Man, Dark Knight, or First Class. But it most certainly is better then the other four X-Men films, the Spiderman trilogy, and the Fantastic Four films.

I really think this movie is better for people who are not up on all of the recent Blackest Day/Brightest Night story-line, which sounded like a good enough story line to me that I actually put in some orders with the local comic shop. (Something I have not done since High School.

This is most certainly an expectations issue. I really think too many people were expecting Iron Man or Dark Knight. I have let the big expectations bug bite me before so I totally understand but I do think many readers here would have enjoyed the movie had this review not scared them away from it.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
J03bot said:
Noooooo! I wanted it to be good. I really did. And whilst you should usually take 'Bob pans a movie' with a grain of salt, that was pretty damn brutal.

As a lantern fan, this is upsetting. Ah well. It's not like I have anything better to do this Wednesday (Orange give half price cinema tickets to the entire UK. I could probably work an orange lantern/avarice joke in there somewhere, but I'm too upset to do so right now.)
I know how you feel, the Green Lantern has been my favorite superhero since I was 7! Wow I didn't really know what Moviebob was going to think, but this....

Oh well at least the game is fun, it has co-op too! Kinda' like Ultimate Alliance meets Zaxxon. (Yes that's a massive oversimplification.)

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
el_kabong said:
Monty McDougal said:
hopefully this will scare Reynolds back to deadpool
My fear is that it will spook studios away from Deadpool...which would be a real shame.
In my opinion if Green Lantern doesn't make enough money to warrant a sequel they're unlikely to want Reynolds involved in a second comic book movie.

And if Green Lantern does make enough money to warrant a sequel they'll want to make a sequel as it will be considered a safer bet.

I suppose they could want to do a sequel and Reynolds could bow out in favor of a Deadpool movie, but that seems unlikely.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Thus a another comic super hero is placed deep into the ground because of a really bad impression on the mainstream stage. Anyone else think "Hey, blank could make/write a better movie about this" for crap shots at good subject matter? Well I thought that when I was young until I released that once something bad is done, the damage is done, and I sadly won't be seeing another attempt at a Green Lantern movie for a decade I bet. At least we have Batman right? For now at least.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
I went ahead and saw it. I am surprised that you didn't also reference Seth Rogen's performance of the Green Hornet because for some reason they were forcing in alot of the same traits too. I guess any room for interpretation of any character allows you to force in the preppy douchebag mentality.

Sidenote, I liked Mark Strong's Sinestro.

pandasaw

Mar 18, 2011
Versago said:
O.O Jesus... I've NEVER seen Bob this angry. EVER.
People who've seen it: how much of this is his shattered hope, and how much is genuinely terrible?
It's both. It is one of the worst superhero movies I have ever seen. My time would have been better spent watching paint dry.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Steel bad?? Jesus...

To be fair, Ryan Reynolds should be kept away from fantasy stuff. He's not credible in any role that isn't a modern day man, either at college or in a suit.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
So apparently I'm alone in thinking this was a good film?

I really enjoyed Green Lantern myself, not accurate to the source material of course, but that never stopped me in most other adaptations. Ryan Reynolds easily held my attention and the special effects were nice to look at, not terribly realistic of course but if I wanted realism I wouldn't be watching Green Lantern. And sure it was cliche, but again I wouldn't be watching Green Lantern if I wanted an innovative masterpiece of storytelling. I got exactly what I wanted out of the film, which was interesting looking action scenes and characters.

Personally I think people were expecting too much out of this film, but I loved it myself.

And also, I liked Daredevil and Fantastic Four too, I seem to like a lot of superhero films people don't generally like. I loved this film but hated Spider-Man 2 for example.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Saw this coming, and glad I stayed far away from it. To boost, I really didn't like thor, at all, I'm not a comic book geek, so it just felt.. Unwelcoming, the action was good, but that was only 2 or even 3 fights in the whole thing, and everything else just felt, forced or just not good. And now I can't put something below that to raise it up by some degree, DAMN YOU REVIEWERS! [note, I like reviewers and reveiewing.]

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Once again, my position of not bothering with super hero movies has been justified. Something about guys in silly outfits just doesn't work with live actors. They should stick to animated movies. It'll be better for the genre.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
...Wait, even the music? Do you know how incredibly difficult it is to screw up music on a technical level? Composer nerding. Ignore me!!!!