Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
i have a hunch, a suspicious hunch, that movie bob did not like this movie. call me crazy, but im pretty sure he thought it was not so good.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
Imper1um said:
Wow, I'm reconsidering seeing it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

To be honest, Ryan Reynolds has never done good in any movie which he starred in it.
Buried was pretty good

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Lets see:

Create super big movie w/ Batman like fame

mediocre film about Superhero....

OPTION 2!

Yeah,
I didnt want to see it because they pitched some guy that looks like a dbag to play Hal Jordan

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I feel bad for Bob, not only does he have to sit through an awful movie, he has to talk about it and assemble a video of it afterwards.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
wow...

I believe that if the film is as bad as you say, then you should have given it an appropriate comment rating.

The worst comment rating you can give is that this is not worth Pirating... because... its gonna be cheap but if even a £1 price tag isn't enough then add that its not worth the time to steal...

In future you should consider it to really make sure a bad film can be related in how bad it is to others.

AzzA-D

Nov 18, 2009
The impression I got from The Big Picture videos regarding the Green Lantern was that you were looking forward to this movie far too much, and as Yahtzee says, its better to hate everything until it proves itself worthy.

As someone said, I would love to see a Harry Plinkett style video tearing this film apart for a few episodes. Would make me a very happy Escapist!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'll say this...I WANTED it to be good, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I was looking at trailers and stuff. I was following the movie and I kept saying "Ok, it might be good" but of course I had that little nagging voice in the back of my head that said "You gotta admit...it might not be."

If I do go see this movie now, it will be months later at the cheapo theater that only charges $1.99 per ticket.

Someone who has already seen the movie (preferably someone who didn't like the movie so I can get some insight) the biggest thing I was looking forward to about this film was Mark Strong as Sinestro.

Please say at least he was cool in this?

madeleinehatter

Mar 8, 2010
Easy there, fanboy. I'm sure the movie was bad, but you're acting like it killed your dog or something. It can't be that serious, can it?

Luciano Silva

Aug 26, 2010
Man I expected a pretty good movie but if moviebob didn't even bother to put the theme to his review it must have been terrible.

Dane Tesston

Jul 27, 2010
Well, I wasn't expecting that. So there I was, just sitting there stunned after watching the video, at a literal loss for words as to what I just saw. Then it hit me: I just spent five minutes listening to a full grown man throw a temper tantrum.

Now don't get me wrong. Movie Bob is one of my favorite things about the Escapist. But when I look forward to his videos every week, I expect the commentary of a funny, clever individual that I can actually relate to, not... this. This is the kind of pissing and moaning I'd expect from Yathzee (and shut it Yathzee fans, I do not care). But from Bob? I'm still having a hard time fathoming it. Hell, I hate to think how bad it might be if the Captain America movie isn't any good. And what's worse, this is exactly the kind of behavior that he's made fun of in the past. "Hypocrite" and "Movie Bob" are two words I never thought I'd use in the same sentence, and I hope I never will again.

I mean, jesus dude, have some fucking dignity.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
I wasn't sure if Bob was full of shit on this one. So I checked Rotten Tomatoes.... oh dear god... 24% freshness.... Bob is right on the money on this one. I'm going to see it with that in mind. If it sucks, well then I expected as much. Though I had a feeling that this movie was going to hell with some of the previews.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011

Seemed appropriate, I must admit, GL flew under the radar until his dual Big Pictures, and honestly, prior to that, I always thought of GL as kind of a puss(Without having any forknowledge of the character/mythos etc) because....He uses a ring that fights with light....It just seemed too corny, but damned if he didn't make it sound awesome, paralax+Scarcrow is officialy one of my favorite idea's that would be awesome to see become reality ever. But hearing it sucked THAT much, I'm tempted to ask, was Mr Bay involved at all? But seriously, the raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage o_O he's channeling the Red Light, run away o.o

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Rabid Gamer said:
Well I like Daredevil, the Director's cut anyway and the First Transformers was fun. (The second Transformers was all kinds of horrible and Elektra, well, the less said the better there)

And anyone who saw the trailer knew Blake Lively has got no range. I didn't need to see the whole movie to find that out. What show is she on anyway "The Hills"?

So for those of you looking of a good Green Lantern movie, see "Emerald Knights". It was better than "First Flight" by a mile.

A Curious Fellow said:
I thought it deserved a solid B, actually. I found it better than Thor, at any rate.
Are you high?
RatGouf said:
I'm So Happy This Movie Sucked! That's For Taking Deadpool's Actor!

Still I don't expect Deadpool's movie to be any better so meh.

Daniel Way SUCKS as a Writer.
Way is a fine writer, not sure why that an issue. A Deadpool movie would be terrible regardless of the actor in it. He won't translate well.
You only quoted half my comment.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Wow. If Bob's pressure gauge isn't reading zero, it must be very close. That wasn't just a vent, it was an emergency purge. I hope Bob has an emergency tank, as he'll almost certainly need it for Transformers 3.

I just had a peek over at metacritic. Right now Mr Popper's Penguins is doing better than Green Lantern among the critics. Ouch.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
"I am a heartless broken shell of a Critic... See ya next time :D"

Sorry, I thought that was cute.

ZetaPi1070

Dec 6, 2010
Holy over-reaction Batman. It wasn't that bad. It's not going to win any Oscars to be sure, but it was entertaining to watch if you went into it knowing what you were getting yourself into. It's not the Dark Knight or even Iron Man, but it's not trying to be.
Also, Blake Lively ftw.

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
Just saw it, and Bob is absolutely right on this one. The film was absolutely terrible in almost every regard. I had a different reaction than Bob did, though: While he got mad, I laughed. I have a copy of Batman and Robin sitting on my shelf that I get out sometimes just to laugh hysterically at, and I may buy this DVD to put right next to it. There are two kinds of bad- bad that pisses you off and makes the movie unwatchable (Sucker Punch), and bad that is so bad that it becomes funny. Green Lantern falls squarely in the second category. My friends and I had a grand old time completely making fun of it, sometimes during, but mostly after, the movie. I saw it for only $5, too, so I didn't feel all that ripped off.

I don't think it was bad as Steel or Batman and Robin, truthfully, but boy, is it bad. Yeesh.