Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
While Moviebob did raise some excellent points for how bad the execution of the movie was, and I do agree on most of the points, the GL movie was never going to be easy to do.

First of all, the 'bar' for Super-hero movies is high. Spiderman, Batman and Iron Man were great movies which told the origin story extremely well and showed how the heroes came into their own as a Super-hero. They showed using their abilities in ways they weren't expecting. But Green Lantern can't do that. He doesn't have to practise webswinging like Spidey, or fighting like Batman or Iron Man's flight and weaponry. He just has to concentrate on something which would hardly make trilling viewing.

Also character development. Spider-Man, Batman and Iron Man get 'guilted' into the role. Peter Parker with Uncle Ben, Bruce Wayne and his parents, and Tony Stark realising the gravity of his effect on the world and terrorism. Hal Jordan gets chosen by a Magic Ring... hardly driving stuff.

The whole Parallax thing also tricky. Spider-Man fighting the Green Goblin (Man in combat armour with an Iron Man style fetish), Batman fighting Ras Al Ghul on the train, Iron Man versus 'The Poor Iron Man Suit. All iconic villains that they fought in their origins with a memorable look. But Parallax is the manifestation of Fear. To me this is the only villain that could pass off looking like a cloud (I'm glaring at YOU Galactus from Fantastic 4 2!!!)

So while the movie execution was poor, it was mildly entertaining. And while the Sinestro 'spin' is hardly a surprise you would've been more upset if he didn't put the ring on.

Also, a parting observation about why the GL Corps didn't take the ring back. This is explained in the movie, but I will reiterate its point here. Because it chose Hal, it wouldn't work for anyone else because out of the entire population of the planet it picked the one person it felt could use it to it's best potential to fight Parallax.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wait...FIRST Transformers? gosh that one was at least halfway decent and enjoyable compared to the second one which killed off any desire I had to even bother watching the third

mhawtin1995

Sep 4, 2012
I agreed completely until "Daredevil bad" I mean what's up with that?! Daredevil was an awesome film. A good replacement would be Spider-man 3 bad. That was god-awful...