Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Boba Frag said:
Now there's the sound of betrayal...

I was getting so stoked for this, but I think I'll delay my viewing of it a bit.
I still want to see it, but I was never going to bother with the 3D.

I think I'll read Blackest Night soon after seeing it,though. I'll probably need it to cheer me up :p
Should read Blackest Night anyway, everything is better with Blackest Night.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
messy said:
Boba Frag said:
Now there's the sound of betrayal...

I was getting so stoked for this, but I think I'll delay my viewing of it a bit.
I still want to see it, but I was never going to bother with the 3D.

I think I'll read Blackest Night soon after seeing it,though. I'll probably need it to cheer me up :p
Should read Blackest Night anyway, everything is better with Blackest Night.
haha! Absolutely, I just don't own it... YET!

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Well, I think this is an issue of Bob REALLY REALLY hoping the film would be good and being disappointed because everyone phoned it in. For me I expected the film to be phoned in when I first read that Ryan Reynolds was going to be Hal Jordan. After the trailers I expected the Maverick rip off and so for me I thought that it was good, you know the same way that Sarah Palin is good as long as she doesn't fall on her face tripping over the bar we set for her.... So yeah, low expectations make an otherwise bad film good.

AgentLex

Dec 15, 2009
Zac Smith said:
Woodsey said:
Zac Smith said:
At least Bob explained why he didn't like it, rather then in Transformers just ranting "this sucks this sucks this sucks"
That's the about the only level of description Transformers deserves.
Regardless of actual opinions of the film, it is his job to "Review" films, not just berate them. If he thinks it sucks, justify it to us. I'm more inclined to believe him then. Besides, having known absolutely nothing to do with Transformers before, I quite liked the film
He lists quite of bit reasons in the review.

The CGI is bad.
It's full of superhero movie cliches.
Barely any of the other Green Lantern characters were in it.
It looks cheap.
Ryan Reynolds acting is terrible.
Awful script.
Ect, ect.

I mean....did you watch the review at all?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Well, from the trailers I knew the costumes would be bad (although better than the first draft), the battery designs would be absolutely the worst things ever and the background didn't look too good either.
But now you crushed my hopes of seeing a half-decent GL film. Shame on you for that!

Though I think I'll still go check it out as soon as it finally comes to cinemas in this shitty country. Another fourty-fuckin' days, urgh.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Griff Morivan said:
tehweave said:
It's better than Steel and Batman and Robin. Those were gaudy monstrosities that really should never have been made.
I don't mind the rest of the post, since, hey, you have a right to your opinion. But this line is where I take issue. Partially because comparing those to the trailers for this, Batman and Robin was subtle. Everyone looks like they've got Cortana's glowing skin effect here, with the gamma turned to 11.
Frankly, I didn't mind the special effects, and I found the 3D fun... But again, this is my first foray into the Green Lantern series. I'm pretty sure if someone said "J.J. Abrams Star Trek is the best of the series!" I might have to agree it was a fine movie, but then punch them in the face and force them to watch the entirety of Next Gen so they understand what superb Star Trek really is.

Plus, you can't really judge a movie from its trailer. Trailers IMO are so much fun to watch, because more often than not they show you a completely different movie than what they're advertising.

I don't know. From the people who are Green Lantern fans, what exactly did the film do wrong? How is Ryan Renolds not a good choice for Hal Jordan? How is Parallax being depicted as a giant space... Cloud... A bad image of a villain? How is the Green Lantern Corps not depicted well?

I'll listen to your arguments. I seriously want to know why I liked it but everyone else didn't.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
I highly recommend Bioshock myself, It's one of those games that attempts to scare the player with complex psychology instead of cheap popping up monsters.

Yet the sequel is kinda ugly, UGLY, UGLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
I wanna just post a link of a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance meme and be done here but I gotta say, I can't believe Ryan Renolds is anything other than "that guy in rom-coms".
Which really is where he belongs, are you really shocked? Any of you?
Lets just focus on marvel for a bit and see if DC comics pick up their game for something other than batman to win us back.

Oh and people saying they want too see first class instead of Green Lantern... don't bother. Its not that great, its an xmen movie, even with the recast (and a fanwank cameo) its just an xmen movie.

I enjoyed Thor though even though I got up too pee and missed what I'm told was a badass action sequence.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
all i can say was it was boring really really really boring like throw away my 3d glasses in annoyance and waste of my time i want the 2 plus of my life back annoyed. hmmm spending time watching critics is starting to seed my own critical ambitions.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
Walt85 said:
lol oh Bob, you sound like such a hurt little fanboy it almost became pathetic.
unlike bob i am not a fan of the green lantern comic so much as i am an avid fan of the ring lore, not the green so much as the others (personal favorites being red (rage) and black (death) ) but i was outright insulted. if the deadpool movie were to ever be made ryan renolds would of booted off the project after this bomb

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
I feel for you bob, I had pretty much the same reaction with Stallone's Judge Dredd.

I'll probably still go to see it though, for no other reason than to finish off what you've talked about for the last few webisodes.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
ironlordthemad said:
I gotta say, I can't believe Ryan Renolds is anything other than "that guy in rom-coms".
Which really is where he belongs, are you really shocked? Any of you?
Watch Buried.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I always thought Reynolds would make a better Kyle Reiner then Hal Jordan. Too bad it's a bad film. I may have to wait for this one on DVD. Been thinking that for a while.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
MatParker116 said:
Outside of anything Chris Nolan directs Warner sucks at making Superhero movies. Mainly due to the fact that the DC Universe outside of Gotham City does not translate well into other forms of media.
Marvel did one with the fucking son of Odin, anything translates well into other forms of media if you don't suck at it.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Sean Steele said:
MatParker116 said:
Outside of anything Chris Nolan directs Warner sucks at making Superhero movies. Mainly due to the fact that the DC Universe outside of Gotham City does not translate well into other forms of media.
Marvel did one with the fucking son of Odin, anything translates well into other forms of media if you don't suck at it.

THANK YOU :D

Korroth Dyahwanre

Jul 3, 2010
While deeply disappointed at this movie I have to say I was entertained and not upset I spent the $8.50 on the tickets. I sadly watched the review before seeing the movie and was unable to suspend the portion of my brain tallying everything Bob griped about.. .and sadly in most cases I do agree. Reynolds didn't seem to have his heart into the second half of the movie. And Blake Lively has no depth as an actress.... where did they find her? Did she blow her way into the role?

While GL is my favorite DC character (Batman is a close second)I had hoped for a lot more out of the film.... Comic books are like the story boards. 80% of the work is done all the directors and writers have to do is follow the damn story. open the damn comic and use that as a reference point. Stop rewriting the story in order to "make it work" cause it invariably never works. The Latest Batman series is excluded from this statement because they are easily the best Comic movies to date. Thor was really good(I enjoyed it as much as you did, Bob.) Although i really liked the Thomas Jane Punisher movie as well.

in all I'd give this a 3/5 stars I was entertained even with the countless flaws and Bob, you nailed a lot of them in your review and I can see where it would take you three or four to nit-pick the movie to death.