Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
AnonymouZero said:
JaredXE said:
I think I'm going to rent it. See, I am one of those few Halo fans that actually have both common sense and a sense of the ridiculious. I don't play Halo because it's a FPS, I play it for the story. I play it multiplayer, but not XBL because I detest Halo fans and the kids on XBL in general.

Btw: OMFGBBQWTF, there ARE female spartans.....as they have already established before. So if anybody is surprised....then they are mentally retarded.
what do you think of THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6JKP_W_HGY

@ _ @

Ok, I laughed, but I also felt really bad because I know guys like that. Not EXACTLY like that, mind you, but really close to it. And that is a huge reason why I hate the FPS culture.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
lordlee said:
It's almost certain you have no idea what any of those titles but Final Fantasy 5 are. None of their stories are remotely alike, same with the gameplay.
Ok. So being a generalizing person such as Movie Bob apparently is those four are essentially late teens/early twenties people who's world is slowly dying/about to be conquered by a long lost thought to be defeated enemy, said people must assemble team, be imbued with some sort of weapon/soul/knowledge in order to save world from complete and utter destruction.

In a nut shell. Granted there is more to the stories than that, but I'm giving them just about as much chance as Movie Bob gave Halo. Just being fair here.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
simmeh said:
lordlee said:
d319tm said:
lordlee said:
d319tm said:
Also rememer: Anime is not a genre. It's a medium.
Sorry for being slow, but what do you mean by a medium in this case?
I mean it's no different than books, movies, or games. It's just another medium for storytelling. There's lots of different genres for it, where everyone seems to think they are all about little girls with breasts larger than their bodies in giant robots.

To contrast: Baccano is about mobsters. Oh, and the first episode is a bit confusing, so don't be turned off by it.
Quoted for truth. Here's another way to think about it:

Imagine filling a burlap sack with every single cliche you've come to accept about anime: giant robots, superpowered samurai, teenagers wielding weapons of mass destruction, legions of women fawning over sexually inert men, gratuitous and unecessary diversions to the beach/pool, etc. Then, imagine a show that takes that sack, ties it to a cinder block, and then throws it off the end of a pier. That show is basically Baccano!
I'm watching the opening credits. Verdict: I'm already in love <3

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
B-b-b-but STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl?!
Considering that this is a game based of ANDREI TARKOVSKY'S MASTERPIECE sci-fi film Stalker, which in of itself is based on the sublime Russian novel Roadside Picnic, its not exactly the ussual source matterial for a game?

Fallout, System Shock, Bioshock, TF2, Portal, Deus Ex ect have already mentioned but that's just considering a FPS's cultural and artistic merit. There are plenty of other shooters that are still fun and exciting even if they aren't the cultural or narrative equivilent of The Godfather. Gears of War, Halo, they're still fun and exciting like a dumb action movie.

Oh and actually, I think most people associate Japanese game characters with the kind of stupid androgenous spikey haired angsty anime RPG characters you get in Final Fantasy and every other kind of JRPG. That's their problem.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
lordlee said:
It's almost certain you have no idea what any of those titles but Final Fantasy 5 are. None of their stories are remotely alike, same with the gameplay.
Ahem

Fire Emblem - Fantasy-Style game where the main character has a sword and wild hair

Final Fantasy V - Fantasy-Style game where the main character has a sword and wild hair

Tales of Symphonia (or the Tales Series in general) - Fantasy-Style game where the main character has a sword and wild hair

Soul Nomad - Fantasy-Style game where the main character has a sword and wild hair

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
lordlee said:
whycantibelinus said:
lordlee said:
Ok. So being a generalizing person such as Movie Bob apparently is those four are essentially late teens/early twenties people who's world is slowly dying/about to be conquered by a long lost thought to be defeated enemy, said people must assemble team, be imbued with some sort of weapon/soul/knowledge in order to save world from complete and utter destruction.

In a nut shell. Granted there is more to the stories than that, but I'm giving them just about as much chance as Movie Bob gave Halo. Just being fair here.
Playing a game and finding the plot bland is not the same as taking a number of games and arbitrarily slapping some cliches on them without playing them.

Moviebob's treatment of Halo is also not relevant to what you and I were talking about.
I notice you didn't disagree with my cliche's though. How do you know Movie Bob has played the western games that he ripped a new one? He didn't say whether he did or not, just started talking a bunch of shit about them saying the plot was bland and the characters are one dimensional. If he had played Gears of War he would know that Marcus Fenix is not a one dimensional character, he is very emotionally damaged and isn't really in the military just to kick some alien ass. Master Chief isn't really one dimensional either despite appearances. Even though he was raised to follow orders and such, through his friendship with Cortana and other characters in the games/books he isn't just following orders, he is doing what he needs to do in order to save his friends. So it would lead me to believe that Movie Bob is one of three things 1) Has never played the games he tore up. 2) Is extremely ignorant of plot/character development in FPS's/TPS's. 3) Just hates Western games that much that he can't stand the sight or thought of them and refuses to believe that any of them can be good.

That's my opinion. Clearly I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. You're just doing what I was doing when I originally commented in this thread, defending something you like because you feel it has been wrongfully accused of being shallow and limited.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
I was playing Halo campaign split screen with a friend once because his internet connection was down, and he pounded the "skip cutscene" button once, and I was all, "Dude, what the hell? Let me hear the story!" and he gave me a look like I just asked him to take his pants off. I'd love to watch this with him. He'd be looking for the "skip" button the whole damn time.

Nice review, Bob. Wasn't expecting this, though. Although it does beat Alice in Wonderland, a movie which I will probably develop a fanatical fanboy love for once I see it.

Seriously, it's my favorite director, favorite actor, and favorite composer all in one place. I gotta love it.

Oh, and Worgen?

Worgen said:
sounds like I expected
I just wanted to say I love your avatar.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
lordlee said:
You are confirmed to have not played a single one.

Well, except Tales of Symphonia. That actually is fair.
Nope, pretty spot on in my assessment

Soul Nomad and the World Eaters is a tactical RPG IN A FANTASY WORLD(well, kinda dystopic too) and the Main protagonist is a young man with odd hair and a long black sword.

Fire Emblem is a tactical RPG IN A FANTASY WORLD where the main protagonist has slightly spikey and weird hair(depending on which game and which main character) and uses a sword

Final Fantasy V is a turn-based RPG IN A FANTASY WORLD where the main protagonist is a man with overstylized hair and primarily wields a sword. And there is a job system.

Other than Soul Nomad, which I have played, I own all of the above.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
lordlee said:
whycantibelinus said:
lordlee said:
whycantibelinus said:
lordlee said:

Playing a game and finding the plot bland is not the same as taking a number of games and arbitrarily slapping some cliches on them without playing them.

Moviebob's treatment of Halo is also not relevant to what you and I were talking about.
I notice you didn't disagree with my cliche's though. How do you know Movie Bob has played the western games that he ripped a new one? He didn't say whether he did or not, just started talking a bunch of shit about them saying the plot was bland and the characters are one dimensional. If he had played Gears of War he would know that Marcus Fenix is not a one dimensional character, he is very emotionally damaged and isn't really in the military just to kick some alien ass. Master Chief isn't really one dimensional either despite appearances. Even though he was raised to follow orders and such, through his friendship with Cortana and other characters in the games/books he isn't just following orders, he is doing what he needs to do in order to save his friends. So it would lead me to believe that Movie Bob is one of three things 1) Has never played the games he tore up. 2) Is extremely ignorant of plot/character development in FPS's/TPS's. 3) Just hates Western games that much that he can't stand the sight or thought of them and refuses to believe that any of them can be good.

That's my opinion. Clearly I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine. You're just doing what I was doing when I originally commented in this thread, defending something you like because you feel it has been wrongfully accused of being shallow and limited.
He's touched on this sort of thing in his other series (The Game Overthinker).

And I DON'T disagree on the cliches, I just don't feel like arguing with you when you clearly aren't willing to actually DISCUSS the matter, unlike the guy from the previous page.
Just because I won't agree with you? Ok, I mean I thought my whole wall of text was part of a discussion but apparently not, and I already addressed why this is going nowhere, You're just as stubborn as me. So I bid you farewell.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
lordlee said:
Bartz is just a brunette (though I don't know his hairstyle, being a sprite).
Amano's character designs, always fun to see how they were drawn before pixelization.