Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
As always, an excellent fucking episode, but I don't fully agree (omg someone that doesn't agree! what a shocker! lol). Anyway, I like the Halo story and find it interesting, but something about the whole anime style movies just made it totally uninteresting and unenjoyable for me. Halo was already kinda cheesy, but when you stack that total anime cheesieness (I love anime, by the way) ontop of more cheesieness, you just get an unappealing ball of cheese...that smells. I did think that "The Duel" was fucking awesome and "Odd Man Out" was a little funny, but honestly none of it caught my attention enough to make me feel motivated to watch it all the way through. I haven't seen "Homecoming" yet so I guess I shouldn't give it a final judgement just yet.

Violet 10

Feb 19, 2010
I say only the clips that weren't shoving anime essence and Japanese culture down our throats were the good/decent/tolerable ones. Like, the "Origin" clips were great and so was "The Package" but what got to me was that the Japanese don't understand that Halo can't fulfill every anime nerd's dream because it is a first person shooter without jiggling boobs or experience points so they went and changed it to something that would relate to that genre.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
You know, I'm not even going to scroll through the 250-some-odd comments to make sure no one else raised this issue already. I am irritated enough to just skip that part of the process and go right to expressing my opinion (which I intend to forward directly to you as well as posting here in the forums).

Bob, when- exactly- did you get to decide what I should like and dislike?

I'm asking that question because you seemed to have stepped over the boundary of informing me- the consumer- about the pros and cons about the execution of the work in question, and subjecting me to your personal biases and opinions regarding the subject matter of the work in question!

Listen, fuckhead: YOU ARE A CRITIC, NOT GOD. That means you critique the style and the execution. That DOES NOT MEAN you get to determine whether or not something is fit for my viewing--- well, you know, the exception being that you are suddenly transported to Nazi Germany and took a position in Goebbel's propoganda department.

And before you write me off as some sort of rabid Halo fanboy? I played through Halo once. Just ONCE. I played about two hours of Halo 2. Other than that, I have not played any other Halo-related game. (Don't even own an XBox 360; just FYI.)

But all the same, I am filled with rage after watching this video, because- dating from the Book of Eli review until now- I can see you interjecting your own personal beliefs and biases into your reviews, rather than serving as an objective lens, which I believe is the goal of the critic. After all, would you really presume to speak for the preferences of everyone who watches your review??? Are you THAT arrogant? I would hope not. I would hope that you would limit your critique to those elements of movie-making that affect everyone (your review of 2012 comes to mind, where you contrasted it with the dreck that Michael Bay dishes out), rather than trying to dictate what the viewer prefers.

But apparently, you've recently decided that you should be telling us what is worth watching and what isn't. And in this review, your distain for the Halo franchise hangs heavy over the whole matter, and clearly leeches out any useful information about whether or not this video might interest me- someone who has neither a positive nor a negative attitude towards the franchise.

Thanks, Bob, for completely wasting my time. As if I couldn't find a myriad of other people to do that.

AngelHunter_D

Feb 14, 2010
I'm sorry Moviebob, but Homecoming was in truth the main one I had a problem with. I mean, the story is the military kidnapping children to become super soldiers? Instead of adopting orphans, wouldn't the kidnapped victims hate and resent those that destroy their life. I don't know it felt very sloppy, that she wouldn't go on a suicidal rampage to take revenge against the system, doesn't make any sense.

Ps: MY 1ST POST -- Avid animelover and haven't played any Halo games nor FPS

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
solidstatemind said:
You know, I'm not even going to scroll through the 250-some-odd comments to make sure no one else raised this issue already. I am irritated enough to just skip that part of the process and go right to expressing my opinion (which I intend to forward directly to you as well as posting here in the forums).

I'm asking that question because you seemed to have stepped over the boundary of informing me- the consumer- about the pros and cons about the execution of the work in question, and subjecting me to your personal biases and opinions regarding the subject matter of the work in question!

Listen, fuckhead: YOU ARE A CRITIC, NOT GOD. That means you critique the style and the execution. That DOES NOT MEAN you get to determine whether or not something is fit for my viewing--- well, you know, the exception being that you are suddenly transported to Nazi Germany and took a position in Goebbel's propoganda department.

And before you write me off as some sort of rabid Halo fanboy? I played through Halo once. Just ONCE. I played about two hours of Halo 2. Other than that, I have not played any other Halo-related game. (Don't even own an XBox 360; just FYI.)

But all the same, I am filled with rage after watching this video, because- dating from the Book of Eli review until now- I can see you interjecting your own personal beliefs and biases into your reviews, rather than serving as an objective lens, which I believe is the goal of the critic. After all, would you really presume to speak for the preferences of everyone who watches your review??? Are you THAT arrogant? I would hope not. I would hope that you would limit your critique to those elements of movie-making that affect everyone (your review of 2012 comes to mind, where you contrasted it with the dreck that Michael Bay dishes out), rather than trying to dictate what the viewer prefers.

But apparently, you've recently decided that you should be telling us what is worth watching and what isn't. And in this review, your distain for the Halo franchise hangs heavy over the whole matter, and clearly leeches out any useful information about whether or not this video might interest me- someone who has neither a positive nor a negative attitude towards the franchise.

Thanks, Bob, for completely wasting my time. As if I couldn't find a myriad of other people to do that.
To be fair, Yahtzee does the exact same thing, and his statements possess even less truthyness. This is the new age of critics, where they believe that everyone should have their beliefs. It is the internet age of critics, where you don't need to be good to get noticed, you just need an internet connection and a throbbing ego. Forget it Jack, it's Chinatown.

knight56

Aug 12, 2009
I pride myself as a moderately enthusiastic Halo/Xbox fan. (As in not foaming at the mouth) This sounds interesting.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Wow, what little I saw of The Duel looked really, really, REALLY good.

Halo is a little like the Matrix for me. I like it a lot but acknowledge its inferior sequels, obnoxiously-loyal fanbase and the fact other series' (both in gaming and out of it) have done science-fiction warfare a lot better. For example, I don't think anything in the Halo anime is going to stack up to, say, Jin-Roh, Ghost in the Shell or Battle Angel Alita. But that's okay. It's cool to see experiments like this. Am I the only one who looks at this package and thinks "Animatrix?" That's what this feels like. Sure, the Animatrix had some duds in there, but it was also a cool experiment that yielded some impressive results.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Souplex said:
solidstatemind said:

To be fair, Yahtzee does the exact same thing, and his statements possess even less truthyness. This is the new age of critics, where they believe that everyone should have their beliefs. It is the internet age of critics, where you don't need to be good to get noticed, you just need an internet connection and a throbbing ego. Forget it Jack, it's Chinatown.
This seems like a good point to interject that Critics today are taking on the sort of evolution that was foretold (and later came to pass) for journalists in the film Network. The Internet, more than anything else, is the world's largest soap box.

Also, I believe some people have called me retarded several times over the course of this thread. I would like to reciprocate with a suggestion they retain their anonymity or I shall be forced to hunt them down.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
*grumbles*

*grumbles*

damnit movie bob. Your review actually makes me want to go out and see them now, so good job!

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Teh Blasta said:
paragon1 said:
Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.
Some of those are not FPS.

OT: Weird review, didn't expect Halo Legends to be this week's review.
And? I seem to remember his statement being that Western games, not FPS, had only one type of character. He only mentioned Halo, and showed images of Halo and Gears (which isn't an FPS either, btw) as examples of Western games. I disagreed with his sentiment, and provided a few counterexamples.

ostro-whiskey

Aug 23, 2009
What a shit movie review. First time I couldnt finish watching one of the Bobsters videos.

I wouldnt even call this tripe a movie.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
Will give it a look. MovieBob, I have learned that you and I have very similar movie taste, which is a bit odd. Keep up the good work.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Ironically it is availiable on Blu-Ray, which is Sony's format. So you can actaully have Halo on a PS3 now.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I thought I was the only one that remembered Monster Rancher. God, to be 10 again...
Thanks, Bob. Japan FTW I guess.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
RTR said:
I thought I was the only one that remembered Monster Rancher. God, to be 10 again...
Thanks, Bob. Japan FTW I guess.
I remember Monster Rancher, too! I remember how awesome it was, and how they kept skipping episodes when it got near the end of the first season.

Yeah, there apparently was a season 2 that never came out in the US, or so I've been told.

Dragnridr3

Dec 26, 2008
From this reveiw it sounds like they took the Animatrx and stamped Halo on the cover. I like the Halo series but I would have to give them an F on originality here.