Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

The Ultimate 2

Lord Of Madness
May 13, 2009
Now, I wonder if Japan is going to make anime shorts of Bioshock? That would be awesome, think about it one story wold be about how Ryan left Russia and went to america where he found the Parasites, and another story of Tenenbaums time during the prison camps to where she found the sea slugs and created the little sisters, and storys of Ryans debates with Dr Lamb, and to top it off the fight over at Fontaine Futureistics where Fontaine made his "last stand".

YewrickMybarrs

Aug 10, 2008
As much as I've liked your previous reviews, the way you composed this one and your comments contained within have very clearly shown that you're as much a "Japan fanboy" as Halo fans are "Halo fanboys". Your views have come off very elitist and "grognardy" for reasons I don't want to touch fully on for lack of relevance. You frequently imply that by the very virtue of becoming an anime, Halo becomes inherently better. This is as silly as it is untrue. Regardless of what you think of Halo, there is as much regurgitated, copy-paste rehashing done with fiction in other countries as there is in America. Your glasses may be pink-tinted because of how much you like Naruto or somesuch thing, but the fact remains that it's one of a million different manga lines that are nearly exactly the same.

Japan is exotic to you. It is not exotic to some others, and this gives us the ability to see how lopsided your views truly are in this particular instance.

Review movies, it's your strong suit.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
lordlee said:
You forgot Torment which is better than the lot of those and was made by black isle studio no less.

I forgot to mention that a lot of those are still good games except fire emblem and soul nomad I haven't played and cant say for sure.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
lordlee said:
JaredXE said:
lordlee said:
Bartz is just a brunette (though I don't know his hairstyle, being a sprite).
Amano's character designs, always fun to see how they were drawn before pixelization.
*has just looked up Amano's designs for 5*
Dear god I hate that man. Nomura was a big step up.
Having just bought FFV, I agree with you, his portraits are the worst thing about the game (though unfortunately, I haven't really been engaged by it yet). The "hurr durr androgyny shemales" thing I detest so much is actually accurate there.

Also, I mentioned this to Doug earlier, but with all the people accusing Moviebob of being a Japanophile I must link to his 9 review: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/924-9
Putting the "liking Japanese things=weeaboo" crap so many here spew aside, he is not the rabid Japanophile so many of you think he is.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
So, your general statement is, "its anime, thus Japanese, therefore good." Thanks, I hate anime, so I won't be checking this out

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Woohoo, Enders Game reference. Woohoo! Saving Private Ryan reference.

OT: Leave Halo alooone! Funny review.

flosy

Feb 1, 2010
Halo needs to die... Halo 1-3 where fun enough games, and thats all, nothing special. Ok riding through ppl in the Ghosts and watching them fall in ammusing ways. But I still can't see why they keep making more games... Halo ODST was one of the worst FPS games I have ever played, and yet it was voted the best game 2009 in the Guinis Game records thingy book. This reminds me a lot of the Matrix, the first film was realy good, so time-warner decided to employ a synergy tactic in order to milk the cult following for all they where worth. They relesed a game, and online game, advertised in time magazine, sold the game and fim through AOL which they just merged with, and in almost an identical twist also made a serise of short anime cartoons "The Animatrix". The result was a film filled with plot holes so you watched the anime, played the game, and so on, and when you did. It was terrible! This is what Halo is doing now, and its going 2 ruin the whole serise sonic style. Quit while your ahead, and keep some dignity would be my oppinion.

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
Alright, I'm going to say it before any assumptions come up. Yes, I'm a Halo Fanboy. BUT. I'm a Halo Story fanboy. Sure, Multiplayer can stir up some lawl, but I love the storyline.

Now, this, this...is just terrible. Make fun of me all you want, but I know a good Halo storyline. Duel: no, not the whole Japanese culture thing, cool concept, but not Halo. +Gundam sized Hunters just don't work. +1 for the cool art style.

Babysitter: Meh, not bad, but not good. A but cliche. I know of the female SPARTANs, (I mean, come on, Kelly is a badass in FoR.) But the long, flowing hair doesn't work, SPARTAN's were ordered to have stort hair. Nor longer than a stubble.

Origins: Okay, you can figure all this out if you read the Terminals in Halo 3, but whatever.

Prototype: Tie on the best. Story was a BIT blah, but it had a good Halo feel. Good "Humanity's loosing, what now?" Thing.

Homecoming: Other tie, but barely. The darker take was good, and the ending was realy good. but SPARTAN's would never rebel at that stage of training. The whole training prevents that. Any sign of rebellion, and they usually "lose them." But the take was a good concept, that, for the most part, was executed pretty well.

Odd one out: Oh please god....No......If you want to parady it, leave it on the internet. With other parodies. There is nothing I HATE more than loud, screamy, running around anime.

Packege: meh... Good visuals, terrible voice acting.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
YewrickMybarrs said:
As much as I've liked your previous reviews, the way you composed this one and your comments contained within have very clearly shown that you're as much a "Japan fanboy" as Halo fans are "Halo fanboys". Your views have come off very elitist and "grognardy" for reasons I don't want to touch fully on for lack of relevance. You frequently imply that by the very virtue of becoming an anime, Halo becomes inherently better. This is as silly as it is untrue. Regardless of what you think of Halo, there is as much regurgitated, copy-paste rehashing done with fiction in other countries as there is in America. Your glasses may be pink-tinted because of how much you like Naruto or somesuch thing, but the fact remains that it's one of a million different manga lines that are nearly exactly the same.

Japan is exotic to you. It is not exotic to some others, and this gives us the ability to see how lopsided your views truly are in this particular instance.

Review movies, it's your strong suit.
Hmm, interesting statements there, though you may have to instantly lose points for that Naruto reference. I don't think that MovieBob was explicitly saying that Halo : Legends was any better than the Halo games solely due to the fact that it was anime. I imagine the point was that (especially with "Homecoming") the anime studios had managed to inject the characters in the game with more than a little personality than is normally present in the games. Let's face it after all, Master Chief (who I would loathe to actually act refer to as a character) has all the draw and personality as a bucket of ditchwater.

Adding some personality and humour can be no bad thing.

Also, the third and second last sentences in your post makes your views come off as very elitist and, dare I say it "grognardy" (I had to look that one up). But hey, it must make you feel clever to use a daft word that very few people are likely to know.

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
im still wondering when people who dont like halo will stop whining about halo, we get it, you think it sucks, now go back to your life, provided you havent destroied it by going overboard with your hatred of a game that most people you know, actually enjoy. its getting annoying really, but that said, i liked halo leagends, my only complaint was a few of the ships wernt the right ones >.> yes i read the books, they are actually pretty good. one of the ship was the pillar of autumn, which i thought was yknow, a hole in the side of a giant ring.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Oh NO FEMALE SPARTIAN AHHHH....

Fanboys, STFU!! When I heard about this I thought it was dream come true, something Halo related that is in anime form? OMFG!

Definity picking this one up.

The87Italians

Jun 17, 2009
I've watched a few of them, but my personal favorite so far is "the Package". The parody one (the one with the dinosaur) was stupid even for a parody and some of the anime styles were getting annoying.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
gamegod25 said:
I am a big Halo fan (but not fanboy tyvm) but I was very underwhelmed and disappointed by the episodes they showed on waypoint. The animation was only passable at best, the voice acting was bland, and the continuity very suspect.

And to Bob and anyone who is not a halo fan, Origins is a lie. It goes against everything you're told in the games. If you hoped for it to explain the Halo backstory for you then you were sadly misled. Even if you look over that it's still boring, ugly, and stupid.
How was it wrong? It's exactly right and goes with whats told in the games... the Flood invaded the Forerunner's society and the only way to stop it was to activate the Halos, killing all sentient life. Yeah, part two may have been a little off in how the ENTIRE Covenant worked with the humans to combat the Flood, but..

What single thing in the games contradicted what was told in Origins?

Sorry, man, but as a huge, HUGE fan of the Halo story (not the games as much as the books, but I still love it all), I have to call bullshit on that claim. Please elaborate.
Ok TBH I haven't seen the second part (no vidoes on youtube and long waiting period on netflix) so perhaps the second one makes more sense. Anyway my problem is that they said that humans are not forerunner. Everything in the games points to humans being forerunner, hell you're flat out told that by Guilty Spark, the Gravemind, and Truth.

But even ignoring all that it's still stupid. First of all the Halos were activated millenia before humanity (and most of the other races) showed up. It's not like only a few thousand years passed activation. Secondly, if their tech is so advanced why can't they make a weapon that only kills Flood or at least much more effective against it? I was willing to over look this in the games but does seem odd to me. And third, if you have the ability to preserve species from the Halos activation then why not do it for your entire race? That's like building a bomb shelter but only putting your pets inside.

As for the anime itself I found the art and animation lacking, what little action was slow and dull, and overall just not up to the quality I was expecting.

Riley Guttman

Feb 12, 2010
Good review. I'll check out the DVD. It seems interesting enough.

I completely agree with you on the idiocy of the Halo fan base. I'm a Halo fan and I can't stand the idiocy of the arguments that some fans put out there.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
qbanknight said:
interesting review, though you are very well justified in knocking the foamy-mouthed dickheaded group of people known as Halo Fans
Ummm, are you sure that's foam around their mouths?
Anyways, I might (kewyord MIGHT) rent this, if Mr Movie-Download-Addict Uncle doesn't get to it first.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
flosy said:
Halo ODST was one of the worst FPS games I have ever played,
Then I guess you haven't played many FPS because I can name plenty of games that are far worse.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
Man, i can't wait for a Gears of War Anime, or a Modern Warfare 2 1/2 anime. Or a Police Academy Anime, or a Naked Gun Anim-

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
theres always been a female spartan infact (correct me if im wrong) theres about three or four...and they are women...so yea just sayin