Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

azurawolf

Apr 27, 2009
Oh I can't wait. We are suppose to see it today but if my mom doesn't get off work in time we are seeing it tomorrow.

I have loved the books and movies for about 10 years now so I am sad that it is ending but happy that is seems to be ending good. I have always been able to rely on Harry Potter staying true to the books (except for the Half-Blood Prince... *huff*).

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
what's with the cable network declaring war on japan? i dont follow American or even Danish tv but from what popculture reference i have gathered over the years i would guess that those guys are either some green group or the cast of the deadliest catch, and i dont see how either could start a war.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
The quest explanation was fucking awesome! I don't think I've ever laughed that hard at one of your reviews MovieBob. Great job!

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I got to watch these damn movies some day. I've only seen the first one, and that was shortly after it's DVD release.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Just saw it, can't really tell if it was a good movie for the lack of the missing 2nd half.

But a few nitpicks, plot holes, convenient coincidences, deus ex machinas and cliches carry over from the book. Basically, a movie about moping kids who get lucky by randomly wandering England.

Other than that, colour correction and the weird kissing scene. wtf was that all about?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Nice to know this is a good film.

The others after prisoner of Azkaban have been kinda mehhhhhh.

Is it just me, or in the first 2 films, the set was nice and bright and cheery...then in number 3 the movie turned Emo and really liked black?

Anyway I'm going to see this no doubt, better be right Bob!

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Yay, first good review for this film I have seen. Going to see the movie tonight, hoping MovieBob is right.
[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]Also, FUCK WHALES.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
[Gavo said:
]Just woke up. I saw the midnight premiere, it was amazing.

Much better than past movies, it actually followed the book almost to the letter. It completely makes up for all the movies that didn't quite meet expectations *cough*third movie*cough*
The 4th did that for me, my mate said Dobby was in it...

I cried at the end :( i love Dobby!

Nvv

Sep 28, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
I have yet to watch a single Harry Potter film so far, and you know what, I intend to keep it that way. I just really can't take it seriously.. wizard school!?
How else would you become a wizard? Is it so laughable?
If I wanted to be a lawyer I'd go to law school...

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
Good thing knowing the movie I'm gonna see in about 2 hours is a great one. Kinda makes me a bit relieved since I didn't really enjoy the last one. They left out way to much from the book.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Thats made me much more confident that it will be good... very much appreciated Movie Bob! Only a few hours now!!! :D

the trooper

Oct 17, 2009
good to know its really good. im glad i really got into them. at first i kept the fan side of me get in the way and kept comparing it with the books. but i just really hate myself for doing that. i actually envied the people who hadn't read the books caz there were experiencing harry potter for the first time. So for the last few movies i have watched them particualry disregarding thw books completely and it has helped a great deal. i've put aside the old ideal that movies are never as good as the source material. Has anyone else done this, or do you just let the fan side of you take over?

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Bob was referring to 'Whale Wars' [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_Wars] on the Discovery Channel. However, an apt analogy would be to say that a real-life version of the three stooges is declaring war on Japan, because those guys are so incompetent, they don't add up to a fart in a hurricane.

I was going to be dragged to see HP anyway, so it's nice to know that it's decent, at least. I appreciate Bob mentioning the theme of ending being prevalent. Nice to know he's still capable of honest reviewing, and not just going fanboy, spewing unreasoned hatred, or drooling over tits.

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
j0frenzy said:
1) What channel is trying to declare war on Japan? I seemed to have missed something.
Swaki said:
what's with the cable network declaring war on japan? i dont follow American or even Danish tv but from what popculture reference i have gathered over the years i would guess that those guys are either some green group or the cast of the deadliest catch, and i dont see how either could start a war.
Looks like something with that stupid Whale Wars show. I'm more or less against whaling, and even I think these guys are assholes. I'd just ignore them; Green Trolls are green and trolls.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I'm one of the odd people that while liking harry potter, having seen the films and read the books, don't consider myself a massive fan. While the main story was very good, most of the films were quite bad (1-2-4) and the last book felt like she had a dart bored with peoples names on it, then just threw darts at it to see who dies(Spoiler warning, if you like a character It will die. If you sort of like one, they will die too) and personal found myself half asleep during the 5/6th books.

BUT, I have to say the over all deal with harry potter has been one of the best things to happen in a long time, it helped revive the ailing British film industry, it turned a new generation of children on to reading, it has a very, VERY strong anti racist/Classist message that it never EVER uses as a main defining point, rather a subtle message through out of tolerance, the subtle difference between good and evil. Its main characters were all Flawed, with weaknesses as large as there strengths (even the 'Mary Sue' Dumbledore if you read/watch all of 7) and most of all a not so cringe worthy "you can do anything no matter who you are" message that most other IPs make vomit worthy.

Im happy they gave this a worthy send off, Looking forward to watching it with my GF, do want to watch Jackass 3d First mind.

mrkmil

Nov 19, 2009
I loved the final line about the orchestral theme. It was a pretty intuitive way to end the review.

Otherwise, While I've been a fan of Harry Potter for a while, friends and family aren't, So I probably won't be seeing it for a while, if just so I don't have to take a crap from them.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I haven't seen 7P1 yet, but I will next week.

What I want to know is how you can say Harry Potter 3 (the movie) was good? I thought it was the worst one in the bunch and it started the long tradition of the movies cutting WAY more from the book than the should, especially some important key details needed for later in the series.

As for me, 1, 2, and 4 are the best and most memorable. 3 was the worst. 5 was... okay. I just don't remember it as much. 6 was just a let down. The epic final battle at the end for Dumbledor's death was so anti-climactic that it was just downright disappointing. I'm hoping 7 will redeem the series from the faults of the lesser films.

docsamurai

Nov 18, 2009
In my opinion if anyone on food network could overthrow castro it would be Alton Brown.
You know I'm right.