Escape to the Movies: Heaven Is For Real - Doesn't Make Much Sense

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
I feel like these films are on the rise because of internal fears within the Christian church of the rise of non church oriented faith, and non belief in general. In the face of the growing modern world, churches are injecting tons of money into these "keep the faith" type of venture to maintain retention. Remember the key of this movie is to "help" doubting young Christians who are on the fence. So you might think its preaching to the quire, but its preaching to the quire that's debating a move. Once they lose a christian its likely they will not only that person but all their offspring as well because once you realize its all bollix, you certainly are going to tell you kids and their kids that too who will then realize its all bollix or will be too busy enjoying life to bother even knowing what a church is (my kids).

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
scw55 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
On the forums proper, this will probably not cause much of a discussion unless maybe a random very Christian person shows up. But I feel the Facebook feed is about to be set on fire.
My Christianity level varies depending on what atheist or Christian people say and do. And how much I am thinking about my dead belovéd cat.

The movie looks very dry. And I really disapproves of people weaponizing or monetizing their faith. It's kinda contradictory to the whole point of Christianity.

Humans are corruptible and are capable of sinning and it's impossible to not sin (that's the Christian view). So, you will get movies like this and franchises coming up.

My take on the story based off Bob's review is that a Child who has been brought up in a Christian household dreams when he was under. Because his brain is full of his faith, it probably manifested as a dream that he "saw" as a message. The kid could have really been to heaven, but, I don't like how his daddy is making money from his kid's vision. So I am going to be cynical. The kid dreamt what was on his mind, Christianity.

When I was very ill, I hallucinated that I was designing Roller Coasters. I doubt that's a spiritual message saying that I will be the Roller Coaster Designer Messiah.

Film looks dry and dull. For other Christians, they might get a lot more going to Church or talking amongst themselves than paying to see this wallpaper paste.
An interesting thing about near death experiences around the world. People of different faiths tend to have visions of the faith they already have. It's a bit odd that people use these experiences to argue their religion is true because they totally saw it, because it would serve as proof of pretty much every faith, even the ones they say aren't true.

And I agree with you, someone is probably far more likely to get a nice experience out of a friendly prayer group than they are this boring tripe. But, to each his own.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Jesus rides a rainbow horse?

I saw Amazing Spiderman 2 the other night. There were some nice scenes between Peter and his loved ones, the fights were good (no shaky cam, I sh*t you not) and the soundtrack was decent (Electros techno beat was badass and I won't hear other wise) but the film is trying waaaaaay to hard to set up future movies so things feel rushed and/or contrived for the sake of universe building and the bad guy designs are boring, like really dull. Electro wears a poxy wet suit, I know Spidys cast was a maybe a little too flamboyant for most people but if Marvel can pull off Thor than Sony has no excuse.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
I just watched Spidey (in South Africa). If you want an angry review about something Bob feels strongly about, wait for that.

Interesting review Bob. I'm glad there is no real Bible-belt here.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
What's with all the Christianity movies lately? Is Hollywood trying to dispel the (stupid) idea that they're all godless liberals?

Anyway, I'll pass. I stopped watching these kind of movies after seeing Fireproof, which after watching, I wanted to throw into the nearest fireplace...along with Kirk Cameron.

Scrumpmonkey said:
EDIT: Newest Tweet "In heaven you can shoot guns at each other for fun" Oh come one! This can't be legit!
Apperantly, this kid has never heard of paintball. Or first-person shooters. Or even laser tag.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
twosage said:
PuckFuppet said:
I hated the first one, agreed with Bob on a lot of his points and still loved the second one start to finish. It was easily superior to Winter Soldier, if only because of much of a visible improvement on the first one it was.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion... but wow.

When you die, please donate your brain to science. It must be a truly fascinating thing.
Pfizer already got the rights, had a nice bidding war beforehand too.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Brave horse...was that a movie about a My Lil Pony? heh (all this talk of rainbows and horses..)

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
jabrwock said:
As for "who buys this crap"? There has to be an audience. I was attending a baptism in one of those mega-churches, and the bookstore was filled with bland "inspirational" books (both fiction and non-fiction), bland music, bland movies, and bland coffee. And the congregation was snapping them up like they were hotcakes dipped in bacon fat laced with Rockets. I didn't get it at all, but then I'm not the target audience.
They buy the stuff for the same reason that North Koreans have framed pictures of the various Kims on their walls: to demonstrate loyalty. Not being loyal; demonstrating loyalty. The goal is to reduce or eliminate suspicion of not hewing to the dominant ideology. And since this is religion, they are as much trying to fool themselves and God as much as their neighbors. Buying all this avowedly "Christian" stuff serves the same purpose as bleeding out a goat on an altar.

After all, who would you believe is more Christian? Someone whose house is chock-a-block with crosses, books, figurines and who is never seen without one of several ornate crucifixes, or somebody living a very spartan lifestyle? Someone who is utterly orthodox as regards the various "stances" of the Church leadership and attends all the big events or someone who stays quietly at home and is mostly only interested in helping their neighbors?

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Rabidkitten said:
I feel like these films are on the rise because of internal fears within the Christian church of the rise of non church oriented faith, and non belief in general. In the face of the growing modern world, churches are injecting tons of money into these "keep the faith" type of venture to maintain retention. Remember the key of this movie is to "help" doubting young Christians who are on the fence. So you might think its preaching to the quire, but its preaching to the quire that's debating a move. Once they lose a christian its likely they will not only that person but all their offspring as well because once you realize its all bollix, you certainly are going to tell you kids and their kids that too who will then realize its all bollix or will be too busy enjoying life to bother even knowing what a church is (my kids).
I think that's pretty spot on. As time passes, people are becoming less religious, and that scares the holy shit out of bible slingers and anyone else who has a vested interest in maintaining a mythology monopoly.

The internet - the greatest repository of human knowledge this world has ever seen - is single-handedly making religion even more redundant than it already was. I for one can't wait to see the state of the religion industry ten years from now.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Man, I haven't laughed this much during one of these episodes in... actually I think this one might be the funniest (not that funny is what you're usually aiming for). So many awesome one-liners and jokes in the first two minutes a lone.
"Braveheart, Braveheart Goes to Vietnam, and Bravehorse."

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I dreamt about heaven as well.
It consisted of the pearly gates sitting there, on and endless layer of clouds, slightly ajar.
On the other side was Jesus, just standing nose up to a brick wall just staring at it.
Then Scarlett Johansen showed up and we went on spy adventures in a mini-van.
It got kind of fuzzy after that but I remember just before I woke up I was sitting on the Enterprise bridge talking with Data about cats.
So basically, heaven is wonderful because Scarlett Johanson...
...and Data I guess.

I wonder what Bob'll think about Amazing Spiderman 2.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
Weird that Bob is wasting his time (and ours) with these "fish in a barrel" reviews. What a shock, he didn't like a by the book faith based movie! Anyone surprised by this? I believe him the movie is lame, but why waste an episode of this show on stuff that his audience will likely never see and probably already knows is not good?

Also, any time you feel the need to go out of your way and say "i'm being sincere", it kinda means the opposite.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The Gentleman said:
"No one is lining up to hear about Bob and his illuminating conversation with Lion-o and slimer."
What kind of cold medicine were you given, Bob?
Sounds like the premium shit. Or I hope it was just from watching cartoons.
Speaking of, my jaw dropped at the picture of Lady Rainicorn from Adventure Time. Lord knows where Bob would go talking about THAT show.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
HBaskerville said:
Weird that Bob is wasting his time (and ours) with these "fish in a barrel" reviews. What a shock, he didn't like a by the book faith based movie! Anyone surprised by this? I believe him the movie is lame, but why waste an episode of this show on stuff that his audience will likely never see and probably already knows is not good?
I'm guessing it's because it's one of only a few films (or maybe it's the only film) that came out this week. I mean, I can't really think of any films that came out today off the top of my head...

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There have been an awful lot of religious movies recently. Though as far as i would know Noah was the only one that got a big release here in the predominantly atheist Germany but it seems like we are not missing out on anything.
Noah wasn't really a religious movie and I, an atheist, quite liked it.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
impocalyptic said:
I had to go see this with my significant other. Bob's dead on the money with this. And I had to hold back laughter at the rainbow horse in the theater. The one word which seems to be hovering over the circumstances of the whole thing but is never said is masturbatory. "You believe in this already? Good! Because you're right."
Meh, the same could be said for the utterly boring White House Down. It's pretty much Heaven If For Real for far-left liberals, as it preaches to their choir just as hard and in much the same ham-fisted way. The only difference is the actors in HIFR will be blacklisted after this movie while the WHD actors will not.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Veylon said:
jabrwock said:
As for "who buys this crap"? There has to be an audience. I was attending a baptism in one of those mega-churches, and the bookstore was filled with bland "inspirational" books (both fiction and non-fiction), bland music, bland movies, and bland coffee. And the congregation was snapping them up like they were hotcakes dipped in bacon fat laced with Rockets. I didn't get it at all, but then I'm not the target audience.
They buy the stuff for the same reason that North Koreans have framed pictures of the various Kims on their walls: to demonstrate loyalty. Not being loyal; demonstrating loyalty. The goal is to reduce or eliminate suspicion of not hewing to the dominant ideology. And since this is religion, they are as much trying to fool themselves and God as much as their neighbors. Buying all this avowedly "Christian" stuff serves the same purpose as bleeding out a goat on an altar.

After all, who would you believe is more Christian? Someone whose house is chock-a-block with crosses, books, figurines and who is never seen without one of several ornate crucifixes, or somebody living a very spartan lifestyle? Someone who is utterly orthodox as regards the various "stances" of the Church leadership and attends all the big events or someone who stays quietly at home and is mostly only interested in helping their neighbors?
Keeping up with the Jones', faith edition.

Yeah, I can see that. Would also explain why it's pushed so much more in the US. Exponential-size flag-pin syndrome.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Zontar said:
Evonisia said:
Well thanks for clearing that up, I was waiting to excitedly watch The Amazing Spiderman 2...'s review.
Amazing Spiderman 2 is released on the 3rd for North America, so it'll probably be next Friday he does it.
Though, to be fair, Moviebob released his Amazing Spiderman 1 review when it came out on a Wednesday. Therefore, it isn't a that much of a stress he does something similar.