Escape to the Movies: Heaven Is For Real - Doesn't Make Much Sense

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Heaven Is For Real - Doesn't Make Much Sense

MovieBob gets confused by what exactly Heaven is for Real is all about.

Watch Video

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
"No one is lining up to hear about Bob and his illuminating conversation with Lion-o and slimer."

Please, Tell me more on tuesday.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
On the forums proper, this will probably not cause much of a discussion unless maybe a random very Christian person shows up. But I feel the Facebook feed is about to be set on fire.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well thanks for clearing that up, I was waiting to excitedly watch The Amazing Spiderman 2...'s review.

As for this film well it doesn't seem like anything good could really come from it's roots. It just sounds like it's aimed at people who will already believe everything the child says.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
There have been an awful lot of religious movies recently. Though as far as i would know Noah was the only one that got a big release here in the predominantly atheist Germany but it seems like we are not missing out on anything.

Jan 12, 2012
Odd that Bob chose to leave his regular religious disclaimer until the end on this one; usually he front-loads with his own stance and his claim of neutrality in regards to the topic at hand.

Also, I'm really hoping that he is serious about having an open mind about the next Spider-Man; from the (deserved) thrashing he gave the original movie, to all the snarky stingers about the Green Goblin's costume, it seems like he's going in there with his mind already made up.

Daniel Lowery

Nov 3, 2010
crimson5pheonix said:
On the forums proper, this will probably not cause much of a discussion unless maybe a random very Christian person shows up. But I feel the Facebook feed is about to be set on fire.
Yes, we must begin writing the Book of Bob

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
Marjoe Gortner did this whole shtick since the forties. IIRC recreated the whole thing in his adulthood. Not his faith, just that the visions from god were just something his parents told him to say.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Man, nothing worthwhile must have been screened by Bob over the past two weeks if he had to review this piece of religious propaganda. Hoping for better next week!

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Man, we're getting a lot of Christian movies, nowadays, aren't we? I don't want to say anything against the alleged events of "Heaven is for Real", but I think the movie doesn't need to be in theaters. (Kevin Sorbo, what happened to you after Hercules?)

Also, Bob, I've seen your Twitter feed. Having seen TASM2, I think you're not going to be a fan.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
Daniel Lowery said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Yes, we must begin writing the Book of Bob
I'm gonna assume he was going off the assumption people have heard the disclaimer enough times to know he's agnostic and pretty neutral to religion in general. Although he seems to have made more than a few swipes at Roma Downey and Touched by an angel, for (to my knowledge) no exact reason.

Andd I'm sort of hoping he comes out of amazing spiderman 2 with a "well...that was pretty okay." kind of opinion. I'm sort of wanting to see it but I feel like I should see the first one, but at the same time I'm kind of on the fence since most reviewers haven't said much nice things about the first movie in the rebooted series. I kind of stand with bob on the "Peter parker being predestined to be spider man is kind of bullshit" territory.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
It seems at least arguably better than "God is not dead" which was pretty much a textbook definition of a propaganda film.

I'm still not going to see this one because I have no interest in the subject matter, but it sounds like I'm less likely to be personally insulted by the basic premise.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
My Christianity level varies depending on what atheist or Christian people say and do. And how much I am thinking about my dead belovéd cat.

The movie looks very dry. And I really disapproves of people weaponizing or monetizing their faith. It's kinda contradictory to the whole point of Christianity.

Humans are corruptible and are capable of sinning and it's impossible to not sin (that's the Christian view). So, you will get movies like this and franchises coming up.

My take on the story based off Bob's review is that a Child who has been brought up in a Christian household dreams when he was under. Because his brain is full of his faith, it probably manifested as a dream that he "saw" as a message. The kid could have really been to heaven, but, I don't like how his daddy is making money from his kid's vision. So I am going to be cynical. The kid dreamt what was on his mind, Christianity.

When I was very ill, I hallucinated that I was designing Roller Coasters. I doubt that's a spiritual message saying that I will be the Roller Coaster Designer Messiah.

Film looks dry and dull. For other Christians, they might get a lot more going to Church or talking amongst themselves than paying to see this wallpaper paste.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Andrew Siribohdi said:
(Kevin Sorbo, what happened to you after Hercules?)
Andromeda. And it didn't happen to him, it is something that he did which happened to us.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
What's with modern christian-themed movies being about as challenging as a walk in Central Park? This movie is about the child of a preacher confirming their own bias to a town of people who believe the same. God's Not Dead is about a college freshman debating the world's worst philosophy professor in a convenient set up (also about how other religions are full of hate-filled people). Son of God is about the incredibly hansom white man living in the fairy tale version of his own story.

Seriously, these movies are just a round of "we are the greatest underdogs ever". If I were a christian, I would feel that my faith was being insulted. "Don't patronize me," I'd say, "I'm a big boy now."

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There have been an awful lot of religious movies recently.
I wish Hollywood could take a norwegian view on the easter season. And with that I mean nothing but murder mysteries, detective stories & crime novels.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
I bet Sony is embarassed about all that VAIO product placement now that they want to sell it. Or maybe this is their sales pitch? Clever bastards...