Escape to the Movies: Hugo

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
First person to comment, lucky me

EDIT: This is actually the first time I've heard of this movie and wow. I didn't know that Sacha Baron Cohen actually did roles that were not comedic.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Spoilers and all, it's probably still going to be one of the better films this season.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wait, that chick's a guy? I just thought it was one of those weird japanese cross-dresser things, like in Sailor Moon. Or Justin Beiber.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
You have to keep reminding yourself the new Spiderman reboot is coming out

I keep desperately trying to forget that the new Spiderman reboot is coming out.

You're the lucky one Bob.

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
I will probably not be seeing this movie, though I am much more interested in it now than before seeing this review

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:
Okay, question:

What game is that character from at 4:51 in the vid?
He's the villain in Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, other than that I can say no more, haven't played it yet, but I know enough about the game to know that

OT: Now THAT is a spoiler, but I probably still won't see it, not enough funds to waste on a movie concept I have little interest in

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
I am still a little torn about the film. I understand that it's Scorcese and everything, but the book is unique.

I hate people who think that film adaptations of their favorite books will ruin everything, but The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a book that is sort of ground breaking as far as children's literature is concerned simply because it's kind of a combination of a traditional book, with large portions of the book consisting solely of pictures that must be "read" in order for one to receive the full context.

While I can't say that people here should or shouldn't go see the movie because
a) I haven't seen it yet and
b) that's Bob's job,
I can say that if everyone here reads the book, they'll be shocked. Even as a teacher, I don't really keep track of the current trends in children's literature, but this book is one-of-a-kind and has an amazing depth of character and story for a kids book. There isn't anything else like it, and probably won't be for a while.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
A schizophrenic Scorsese is probably better than 85% of other directors when focused.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Gah! I want to see this movie so I had to stop watching 2 minutes in to this review... but on the other hand I'm guessing he's also going to point out the big negatives of this movie.
Oh well... I will have to experience them on my own and hope to remember to check back here retrospectively.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Damnit, Bob, I really want to watch the rest of the video, but now you've got me worried that I'm going to have a mind-blowing turn of events comparable to the plot twist in Bioshock spoiled for me if I go any further.

EDIT: I think I was just ninja'd.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I should dig out that book again. Be interesting to re-read it knowing... What I know now. Actually almost posted the spoiler, hoo boy that would have been awkward. Must be tired.
Anyway, I don't get to see a lot of movies right now, being an hours drive from the nearest cinema, but I'll definitely be checking this out on DVD if I don't get the chance to go see it.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Good on you for throwing that spoiler warning up, Bob. The other reviews I've read didn't even try to be secretive about the movie's second half.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
Great review I was really curious about this movie, sadly I didn't heed the Spoiler Warning, oh well I was warned.

Also

at 2:06

Did anyone else see somthing that reminded them of

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Now that I know what this movie is really about, I'm still not really interested in seeing it. When I saw the trailers, I thought it was a steampunk genre piece. Now that I know it's a love letter to one of the godfathers of modern cinema and film making techniques, it seems a bit more interesting. However, I tend to dislike bait-&-switch films, novels, games, etc.; so I'm still pretty much on the fence.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Wow, did not see that twist coming at all.
Knowing about it now elevates what was otherwise a "meh" movie for me to something I might actually want to check out.
Thanks for the recommendation Bob.