Escape to the Movies: In Time

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Lord of War was awesome. I was kinda "eh" on this movie, the concept sounded kinda silly and the message isn't something i didn't already get. Also the idea kinda struck a little too close to home for me as live on the very bottom of that 99%. as in, i wouldn't have as much in common with JT as i would that dead guy on the street. But considering it was done by hte same guy as Lord of War, i might try to go see it.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I accepted Timberlake a while back. All the SNL stuff where he kinda proved he doesn't take himself too seriously sat well with me. I begrudgingly admit that I like him. And he was pretty entertaining in Social Network as well, which certainly didn't hurt.

So long as he keeps away from Janet Jackson's sagging mamaries, he and I are cool.

Also this movie looks interesting. If I'd known it was made by the guy who did Gattaca I'd have already been on board. That was a pretty great flick, sounds like this new one is too.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
The premise of this movie sounds really stupid to me. Maybe it's because David Firth got there way before Hollywood:

At least it looks like it's got cool cars in it.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Went to look for movie times on rotten tomatoes and couldn't find the movie right away because the critic consensus is 35% (was looking for a red tomato not a green one). Wow, one of the few times Movie Bob doesn't agree with critic consensus.

I think I'll wait for this one to come out on DVD.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
movies sound interesting

>.>

could a done with out the 'welcome back' to the 2 dumb asses though, REALLY didn't miss them

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
How dare you recommend a movie starring Justin Timberlake!

But really, I didn't know Matt Bomer is in this one. I will eventually watch this one. He's all kinds of awesome.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I enjoyed GATTACA quite a lot, even if the religious stuff, while minor, was spread quite heavily. I probably won't get a chance to see In Time in theaters but I'll definitely look for this down the road.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Gee, MovieBob liked a movie that has Amanda Seyfried in it. This isn't supposed to come as a shock anymore, is it?

Also, no mention that it's basically an Alpha Dog reunion? That is disappointing. I mean, it has three (maybe more?) actors from that film in this one, with two of them having much bigger roles. Maybe there's no mention because nobody actually saw Alpha Dog? I dunno, but I would have thought Bob would have included it. Oh well.

As for the film itself, I might get the chance to see it in theaters, which would be nice because it does look fun.

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
I liked Lord of War; it had a good plot, but it seemed a bit heavy-handed at times.

This movie, in the way that Bob described it, seems just plain Anvillious. It seems to be pretty much conforming to the liberal Hollywood stereotype. I know that it got lucky with the timing of the OWS movement, but I want to see the movement outside of the context of current events. I might give it a rental or if a friend is interested, but from the review, I'm not going out of my way to see it.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Aiddon said:
This might as well be that Harlan Ellison short story "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman. Though unlike James Cameron, Nichol doesn't seem like the kind of douchebag who deserves to be chewed out by the gloriously grouchy Ellison
Yeah, I was sort of hoping Movie Bob would comment on this. Ellison actually sued to have the movie stopped, saying In Time jeopardizes an official film adaptation of "Repent Harlequin!"

( link : http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/harlan-ellison-sues-claiming-foxs-235987 )

My personal bias is to favor Harlan. Ideas do get shared around, but when the creator isn't acknowledged or gets marginalized I think it's right to take umbrage. While I quite liked Gattaca and found it clever and unique, would point out that Niccol also is known for The Truman Show, which in my most H of O's got most of its ideas from Dark City. That could just be me, though.

Either way, needs less glowy-arm-bits and more jellybeans.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
When I first saw the trailer where it mentioned life-time was the new currency, it reminded me of the premise of the Terry Pratchett novel "Strata" where it's the same thing (though the setting and theme of the novel is completely different). I'm relieved that this film doesn't bastardise this ingenious concept.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
CronoT said:
I was thinking this was going to be a "modern retelling" of Logan's Run. But, it seems like it's a bit deeper than that. I might give it a watch.
That was EXACTLY what I was thinking. I even made a few snide comments at the TV ads I saw for it. Anyone mind handing me some barbeque sauce to go with this crow?

Dang, Bob, did you seriously make me want to see TWO movies now? For someone like me who generally hates movie theatres and their overpricedness (and frequently doesn't even have time or patience to watch movies on Netflix), that's pretty impressive.

Wait, I hadn't yet gotten around to seeing Gattaca. Crap. That's three. *resigned sigh, slow clap for Bob*

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Marter said:
Gee, MovieBob liked a movie that has Amanda Seyfried in it. This isn't supposed to come as a shock anymore, is it?
Amanda Seyfried is one of those actors that could really be great if she didn't chose to be in bad movies. She tends to add a good side to something bad. Her career could have a good boost if her agent didn't say "Here's a movie that will make you popular with only teenagers." I remember your thoughts on Jennifer's Body and I disagreed with it because I thought it was a "so bad it's good" movie. Although, I forgot to mention that Ms. Seyfried contributed a lot to make that movie fun to watch. Then again, it's all opinions.

I'm actually interested in this movie and I'm happy that Bob didn't decide to go the easy way and blast Paranormal activity 3 instead.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Took them long enough.
You need to have seen their movie to get it.

Movie sounds good, only deepens my belief that I don't like seeing Olivia Wild on screen. Her eyes always spaz out when they shouldn't.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I remember seeing Gattaca a year or so back, I thought it was alright, it was pretty cool that the whole dystopian element was kept at a believable level, but otherwise it didn't make much of an impression on me. So I was kind of surprised later when I found out it was such a critical darling, I would never have imagined that while watching it. Goes to show how average my taste in movies is :p

Anyways, nice review.