Escape to the Movies: Inception

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I just saw it. I'm still reeling. My mind, she is blown. I tweeted on my way out of the theater "Get the eff off Twitter and go see Inception NOW." I can't remember the last time I walked out of a theater with my mind going a mile a minute. I love movies and I'm easily pleased by them, but this one...just wow.

And yes, everyone in my theater let out a collective groan at the appropriate time.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Just got back from watching it. Quite a good movie, but I got a tad bit confused around the time where they

entered the third or forth dream in a dream in a dream

partly because my dad fell asleep and needed me to explain what happened up to that point.

Don't take my dad falling asleep as a bad point. Dark air-conditioned room with a cold drink tends to put him to sleep pretty quick.

Interesting fact to note though, this is one of the first if only films I've seen DiCaprio

live to see the end credits. He's always died in the movies I've seen him in, though he did get run over by a train to wake up from limbo so I suppose it partially counts.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I've seen it twice so far, and I am planning on seeing it at least one more time this weekend. It's just so damn good. Both times, the audience clapped, and they didn't make any sounds when the film was playing unless it was some warranted laughter. As people filed out of the theaters, I hear nothing but good things from these folks saying how they loved it and they want to see it again.

I haven't heard talk like that since District 9 (some might say Avatar, but I don't remember much from the night I saw it, including the film).

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
The spoiler warning wasn't even necessary for me. I'd heard what you mentioned already from other sources reviewing the movie, so I know what was what about that. I still want to see this movie, because, actually knowing that fact makes me want to see it MORE.

AlexR89

Oct 26, 2009
The fact that I absolutely have to see this movie aside, I actually want to point out how much I love the Little Nemo nod there at the end. I can't believe anyone else ever saw one of my favorite child memories in cartoons.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I found the closing scene in Inception to demonstrate this very visual poetry in action. If it was one second longer it would have been lost, cutting where it did left enough room to ask. Was he right? Was she? What does either consequence state about the events that unfolded before?

How can one know what they are seeing and define parameters of reality? Is every film not just a dream of a director that we live through? How do we determine what fits within the confines of the reality established on screen? Where does our suspension of disbelief end before we become aware we are watching a dream? None of it is real, but our mind can accept or reject based on our own preconceptions. As the character says "we never know how we get to a dream, we are simply there" to me this is a comment on how audiences are dropped into scenes in films and we don't ask what happened before, we accept what we are presented as the reality.

I found Hans Zimmer's score to be distinct and memorable and also fitting to the story and emotions of the characters. I found the hotel scene to have some of the most beautifully executed fight scenes that conveyed the nature of the world there. I thought the layers and the juggling act of sustaining intensity for over 90 minute climax to be a wonder of what the medium is capable of. DiCaprio gives a strong performance with layers of himself revealed as we travel into the layers of dreams seeing his struggle to maintain his own reality and order of events and the reveal of his guilt and our reaction shows how much we need to have bearings in our reality and our trust in him.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
Axolotl said:
Thanks for the spoiler warning man. I didn't watch the review beyond that point (you told me what I wanted to know).

Just posting to say I appreciated the warning.
Agree, also stopped at the warning! Thanks Bob!

*Goes off to see the movie*

Keith_F

Mar 3, 2010
Great review Bob. I like your point about the way Nolan treats emotions. I loved the movie (saw it last night), but there was a woman behind me who was lost and asking her date to explain. So perhaps there's some credence to the concern. To be honest, I do think there is a bit of a hole in the plot in the final stage of the film that is a bit confusing, but as a whole it is so meticulously constructed that it's hard to complain (and the hole certainly doesn't make it any harder to follow).

I did have an interesting movie-going experience to mention. The packed theater was pretty much silent during the entire film, but at the end of the hair-pulling shot Bob refers to there was this kind of synchronized response, half laughter and half groans. It was kind of like everyone was holding their breath and they just all exhaled at once.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
itf cho said:
saintchristopher said:
itf cho said:
Damn... considering how much I dislike Leonardo Decapitator, I was hoping for a bad review. Now I may have to go see it anyways.
Why the DiCaprio hate? The guy's been in nearly nothing but gold since Catch Me If You Can.
Just don't like him... never have. Can't recall why. Maybe I saw him in something I hated years ago. And Shutter Island was gold?!?
I think there are still remnants of hate for the guy since his teen idol hunk days where all the middle school girls fawned over him and thusly the boys were pretty much obligated to hate him.

jamesmax

Aug 25, 2009
paprika is all i got to say about that .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnmmykiJSME&feature=related

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Hm...

I haven't seen the movie yet, and was going to discuss the review's mentioning of certain themes.

But now that I think about, almost -anything- at this point could be considered a spoiler. so n/m

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for letting me know about the Spoiler Warning. I'll go see and be back! :D I have been looking forward to this film tho, so I hope it is as good as you say.