Escape to the Movies: Iron Lady

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Iron Lady

MovieBob shows the pros and cons of Iron Lady.

If you're in the Boston area during the weekend of January 13th, he'll be at Arisia 2012 [http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2012/01/heres-where-moviebob-will-be-at-arisia.html], so stop on by.

Watch Video

FriendGuy

Dec 20, 2011
Eh...my desire to see this movie was pretty much solely based on how much complexity and nuance they could convey the subject matter. In other words, my intrest is now dashed...

Merryl Streep is a great actress, but can anyone else not help but notice the similarities between this and her earlier film "The Queen"?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I wish your review surprised me more. Although I wasn't expecting the wacky ghost side kick, so there's that :)

They should do a Mark Thatcher flick next!

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
Note to self; If I find myself desiring to help prop up the capitalist regime, I'll go watch the Iron Lady and have steam coming out of my ears by the end of it...

Why oh why did I put on a red t-shirt today? :p

Dec 14, 2009
I still haven't forgiven her for selling pretty much all of Britian's gold reserves for around 79p.

Also, the milk.

Never mess with a kid's milk.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
I've been less than impressed with this movie from the word "GO". Also, I knew the moment that I heard Meryl Streep was the female lead, she was going to get her yearly Oscar-nod, and her semi-annual Gold Statue addition to her Mantle. To me, Meryl's career is like Shyamalan's directing style at this point. She acts in a movie, she's gets Oscar nomination, and every other time or so she gets the Oscar.

As for the political side of the fence; Margaret Thatcher was essentially the Beta version of George W. Bush, except she was in England. Given the lens of time, we know for a FACT that she f***ed her country at the expense of her own ideology. That's slowly starting to become known fact with Good Ol' Georgie.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I have to say that after seeing this I think they focused to much on her eventual mental health issues instead of her policy. Dear Abi Morgan(Writer): Please fix this.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
FriendGuy said:
Eh...my desire to see this movie was pretty much solely based on how much complexity and nuance they could convey the subject matter. In other words, my intrest is now dashed...

Merryl Streep is a great actress, but can anyone else not help but notice the similarities between this and her earlier film "The Queen"?
"The Queen" (2006) starred Helen Mirren and was directed by Stephen Frears, who considered it a political indictment of the royal family. Not really the same level of film-making.

EDIT: But otherwise, yeah, without much complexity, it just doesn't sound very interesting.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
FriendGuy said:

Ummm... The Queen was Helen Mirren, not Streep.

EDIT: Crap. kyogen beat me to the punch.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Yeah I pretty much knew I wouldn't watch this regardless. Why? A bit of context for Americans, for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.

Gallium

Cannon Fodder
May 3, 2011
number2301 said:
for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.
He isn't kidding. Scotland too. In light of recent events it is fast becoming apparent that her ultimate legacy will be the break up of the United Kingdom.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Gallium said:
number2301 said:
for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.
He isn't kidding. Scotland too. In light of recent events it is fast becoming apparent that her ultimate legacy will be the break up of the United Kingdom.
Ha! I got the message to say I'd been quoted and was certain someone was going to be accusing me of exaggerating! Guess not ;)

Also, Scotland don't go! I really like our flag :(

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
So I guess You could say the Iron Lady came off a little...

<color= red>Rusty
Completely unfunny and doesn't make sense.

I'm being 'made' to watch this tomorrow, and I'm disappointed to hear there is a focus on suggested mental health issues - and I don't understand why such a direction has been chosen when there is so much material to take advantage of.

I'm assuming the angle of whom I'm accompanying to the cinema tomorrow is that she wishes to be educated (I use the term lightly) due to her having a friend working in the Houses. A good excuse, but I'm now concerned that the massive impact that this incredible woman had on our country (whichever side of the fence you sit on) will be too watered down.

I guess I can update my comment post viewing.

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
I dunno I'm an Australian and was living funnily enough in Australia during the time of Thatcher I was also pretty much at school for the duration. But I dunno I would hardly call her a British George W. She was more a mix of Ragen and Bush senior in terms of policy and despite the unpopularity of her decisions she was hardly unintelligent. The British in those days were alot more ready to go on strike and fight both politically and physically for their rights than most of us are today. Thats what this world needs more of I think more people not just willing to go along with everything and actually stand up and risk a good old fashioned barney with the rozzers. Then again in America there would be a bunch of idiots in the crowd with guns so maybe not good idea.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I'm not British so I don't know much about Thatcher, but I can see why this movie would make people upset. It's stupid to take such a controversial figure and only show one side to their life.