Escape to the Movies: Iron Lady

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Steam?

Volf99 said:
good, then maybe Ireland will finally be united
Son, Ireland tore itself apart back in 1912. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles]
I realize that, but England [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans] played a role in trying to suppress the Irish pursuit for freedom from the English. The British have played a part in causing misery [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_%281972%29] long after 1912. Margret Thatcher also helped make things worse by denying people [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands] their rights.

A little off topic, but...
EDIT: Do to a request I have changed the song

Jun 11, 2008
Glademaster said:
Son, Ireland tore itself apart back in 1912. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles]
That is quite cold.
It's a very cold situation for me. My family were "involved".
I'm sure they probably were a lot of families were but you make it sound like Ireland brought all of this disunity on itself. Well it is more the year that bothers me to be honest. I could get behind saying the way the Republic went about dealing with the actual Troubles as tearing itself apart but not with the whole Home Rule and Unionism in 1912.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Volf99 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
dalek sec said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The other stuff I could deal with.

But the milk...

Dman, that was a low blow.
I'm sorry but as a Yank what exactly did she do with the milk? I've read the little chant of her snatching milk but what exactly did she do? I'm not judging, just asking cause well... I'm a Yank and when it came to politics I kinda rolled my eye's cause it usally makes me rage. Sorry if I sound so lacking about her time as PM.
Well, to put it simply, she got rid of providing free milk to to school children below a certain age.
Well why did she get rid of it? I really doubt that it was out of a pure evil intention.
Because she hated children and wanted us to suffer.

She feeds off of anguish you see, she's like a vampire, but without any of the cool powers.
lol, I'm sure. But seriously, while I don't agree with everything she did, it seems absurd to have a serious opinion that she was "evil".

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
Volf99 said:
Barciad said:
Just to say, for those that don't know too much about her in real life. Imagine if Dick Cheney was a woman.
lol, get serious. That is an incredibly biased/silly comment to make. I was under the impression that she actually did some good for the UK. I'm not saying it was all good, but to compare here to Cheney? No, that's going to far.

As far as some of her policies/views are concerned, in regards to EU there seem to be people like Nigel Farage(who is in the UK Independence Party) that dislike the EU as much as she did.

Here is what I am referring to....

I have yet to hear an elected politician from an Independent American political party say the same things that Cheney said.
Wow. Did you just try defend someone by comparing their views to Nigel Farage?! Let's get some perspective on that guy...

On race relations:

Nigel Farage ... told former UKIP leader Dr Alan Sked ?We will never win the ****** vote. The nig-nogs will never vote for us?, according to Dr Sked.
On terrorism:

In January 2004, MEPs from several parties and countries received letter bombs. The targets included Gary Titley, leader of the Labour group of MEPs, whose assistant was injured in the attack. UKIP issued a press release in which they said that they could ?understand the reasons behind [the attacks]?.In the face of widespread public outcry, the UKIP leadership then issued a statement in which they refused to withdraw their remarks and in fact congratulated their MEP Nigel Farage on making them.

Mr Titley?s letter bomb attack was followed by a deluge of electronic hate-mail from people who endorsed UKIP?s views on terrorism. The party itself denied any involvement.
On professionalism:

UKIP?s founder leader Dr Alan Sked has revealed that Nigel Farage MEP often failed in his duties because he was ?blind drunk?. Dr Sked has added: ?UKIP?s MEPs are a standing joke at Strasbourg, where their attendance record, even by the standards of most MEPs, is relatively poor and where, according to independent research by the European Studies centre at the London School of Economics, the three often vote in different ways on the same issue.?
On his own bloody job:

Nigel Farage MEP has admitted that he had ?no idea how [the European Parliament] worked? when he was elected.
On law:

On 4 September 2000, police and local trading standards officers seized four video copies of a BBC TV documentary, The Enemy Within, when they raided UKIP?s South East branch offices in Redhill. Nigel Farage MEP had been copying and selling them illegally in breach of copyright. Jeffrey Titford MEP later claimed that Farage had done so because he was irritated that the BBC had decided not to screen the documentary in which he featured.

Also in 2000, the European Parliament ordered UKIP to repay £11,500 of expenses. The party had diverted surplus travel expenses to fund the failed court cases of the ?metric martyrs?, market traders who were taken to court for refusing to display metric measurements alongside imperial ones when selling their wares. Nigel Farage MEP has since repeated UKIP?s intention to use parliamentary expenses ?to further the objectives of UKIP back in Britain?.
The BNP links:

Nigel Farage MEP has admitted meeting Dr Mark Deavin (the BNP?s then head of research who had briefly infiltrated UKIP as Research Director and NEC member to pass on information about its work to the BNP until being expelled from UKIP in May 1997) over lunch on 17 June 1997 at the latter?s request, to discuss his defection from UKIP to the BNP.65 Farage was also photographed in June 1997 chatting to the BNP?s Tony ?The Bomber? Lecomber66 (who has served two prison sentences: he was jailed for three years in 1985 for possession of explosives, and for three years in 1991 for stabbing a Jewish schoolteacher).
Think the Cheney comparisons were quite complimentary in comparison...

Feb 13, 2008
Volf99 said:
I realize that, but England [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans] played a role in trying to suppress the Irish pursuit for freedom from the English. The British have played a part in causing misery [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_%281972%29] long after 1912. Margret Thatcher also helped make things worse by denying people [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands] their rights.
Glademaster said:
I'm sure they probably were a lot of families were but you make it sound like Ireland brought all of this disunity on itself. Well it is more the year that bothers me to be honest. I could get behind saying the way the Republic went about dealing with the actual Troubles as tearing itself apart but not with the whole Home Rule and Unionism in 1912.
I've thought about this, and I won't be continuing on this subject. I've far too much invested in what happened, what happens and what will happen.

Suffice to say my family were "involved" heavily.

Dec 14, 2009
Volf99 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Volf99 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
dalek sec said:
Daystar Clarion said:

But the milk...

I'm sorry but as a Yank what exactly did she do with the milk? I've read the little chant of her snatching milk but what exactly did she do? I'm not judging, just asking cause well... I'm a Yank and when it came to politics I kinda rolled my eye's cause it usally makes me rage. Sorry if I sound so lacking about her time as PM.
Well, to put it simply, she got rid of providing free milk to to school children below a certain age.
Well why did she get rid of it? I really doubt that it was out of a pure evil intention.
Because she hated children and wanted us to suffer.

She feeds off of anguish you see, she's like a vampire, but without any of the cool powers.
lol, I'm sure. But seriously, while I don't agree with everything she did, it seems absurd to have a serious opinion that she was "evil".
Nah, of course she wasn't evil.

She was a politician, which pretty much sums up all my feelings for her.

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
Volf99 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
dalek sec said:
Daystar Clarion said:

But the milk...

Because providing it costs money. Money that could be saved by not providing it.
This was a -good- decision.

I'm a northerner. I grew up on a council estate, I'm most definitely still working class and there's quite possibly nothing I fear more than the middle-upper class being in positions of authority.

Thatcher is not our equivalent of Dick Cheney or Bin Laden. I'm not going to totally outline my political views here but 30 years on, do children get free milk (at the expense of the government) at schools? And all of them mines, they've opened up again right? No?... Interesting

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Ruairi iliffe said:
Volf99 said:
I'm sorry, Thatcher Might have messed up my homeland as much as the next, but if honesty you think the UK breaking up would honestly make Ireland United, I've a soild 22 odd years of my life living in Co. Armagh and Down Knowing that is the biggest insult I've heard in a long while.

OT, I'd hoped the flim would be a bit fleshed out, but looks like something that would just piss me off than anything.
I just mean that it would help lead to the possibility, not that it would automatically result in a single Irish country. I mean obviously there are other factors (like the Unionist, Protestants[not trying to generalize] and the a**holes like the Orange Order and their supporters) in North Ireland that would contribute to NI staying a separate government. Now that's not including people on the other side(Republic of Ireland) who probably have other things to worry about at the moment(like the economy) that would be less than happy for this to happen right now. Heck I wouldn't doubt that there are some people that don't want to join at all, because of how it might have a negative affect on Ireland overall.

Jun 11, 2008
Volf99 said:
Glademaster said:
I've thought about this, and I won't be continuing on this subject. I've far too much invested in what happened, what happens and what will happen.

Suffice to say my family were "involved" heavily.
Ok that's fair enough and I respect that but I just think you could have picked a btter year from the list.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Lusty said:
Volf99 said:
Barciad said:
Just to say, for those that don't know too much about her in real life. Imagine if Dick Cheney was a woman.
lol, get serious. That is an incredibly biased/silly comment to make. I was under the impression that she actually did some good for the UK. I'm not saying it was all good, but to compare here to Cheney? No, that's going to far.

As far as some of her policies/views are concerned, in regards to EU there seem to be people like Nigel Farage(who is in the UK Independence Party) that dislike the EU as much as she did.

Here is what I am referring to....

I have yet to hear an elected politician from an Independent American political party say the same things that Cheney said.
Wow. Did you just try defend someone by comparing their views to Nigel Farage?! Let's get some perspective on that guy...

On race relations:

Nigel Farage ... told former UKIP leader Dr Alan Sked ?We will never win the ****** vote. The nig-nogs will never vote for us?, according to Dr Sked.
On terrorism:

In January 2004, MEPs from several parties and countries received letter bombs. The targets included Gary Titley, leader of the Labour group of MEPs, whose assistant was injured in the attack. UKIP issued a press release in which they said that they could ?understand the reasons behind [the attacks]?.In the face of widespread public outcry, the UKIP leadership then issued a statement in which they refused to withdraw their remarks and in fact congratulated their MEP Nigel Farage on making them.

Mr Titley?s letter bomb attack was followed by a deluge of electronic hate-mail from people who endorsed UKIP?s views on terrorism. The party itself denied any involvement.
On professionalism:

UKIP?s founder leader Dr Alan Sked has revealed that Nigel Farage MEP often failed in his duties because he was ?blind drunk?. Dr Sked has added: ?UKIP?s MEPs are a standing joke at Strasbourg, where their attendance record, even by the standards of most MEPs, is relatively poor and where, according to independent research by the European Studies centre at the London School of Economics, the three often vote in different ways on the same issue.?
On his own bloody job:

Nigel Farage MEP has admitted that he had ?no idea how [the European Parliament] worked? when he was elected.
On law:

On 4 September 2000, police and local trading standards officers seized four video copies of a BBC TV documentary, The Enemy Within, when they raided UKIP?s South East branch offices in Redhill. Nigel Farage MEP had been copying and selling them illegally in breach of copyright. Jeffrey Titford MEP later claimed that Farage had done so because he was irritated that the BBC had decided not to screen the documentary in which he featured.

Also in 2000, the European Parliament ordered UKIP to repay £11,500 of expenses. The party had diverted surplus travel expenses to fund the failed court cases of the ?metric martyrs?, market traders who were taken to court for refusing to display metric measurements alongside imperial ones when selling their wares. Nigel Farage MEP has since repeated UKIP?s intention to use parliamentary expenses ?to further the objectives of UKIP back in Britain?.
The BNP links:

Nigel Farage MEP has admitted meeting Dr Mark Deavin (the BNP?s then head of research who had briefly infiltrated UKIP as Research Director and NEC member to pass on information about its work to the BNP until being expelled from UKIP in May 1997) over lunch on 17 June 1997 at the latter?s request, to discuss his defection from UKIP to the BNP.65 Farage was also photographed in June 1997 chatting to the BNP?s Tony ?The Bomber? Lecomber66 (who has served two prison sentences: he was jailed for three years in 1985 for possession of explosives, and for three years in 1991 for stabbing a Jewish schoolteacher).
Think the Cheney comparisons were quite complimentary in comparison...
I was referring exclusively to both her and him not liking the EU. From their, I was pointing out how both people came to a similar conclusion despite the fact that she was a conservative and he was an independent. To my knowledge, I have not heard a independent party elected politician hold any of the same views as Dick Chaney(a republican).

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Lethos said:
Anyway I wasn't alive when Thatcher was in power however I do know that the country was actually pretty shitty before she got into power and she did manage to get our economy back on track. Probably simplifying it a bit, but meh.
You could replace the name "Thatcher" in the above statement with the name "Hitler" and it would still be true, and still only tell a fraction of the story.

Jun 11, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Volf99 said:
Gallium said:
number2301 said:
for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.
He isn't kidding. Scotland too. In light of recent events it is fast becoming apparent that her ultimate legacy will be the break up of the United Kingdom.
Yea, worked out well for southern ireland that din' it.
Ok I'm not agreeing with what he's saying but you're not helping and that is really low on the scale of things you could say. Ireland wanted separation because there was genuine abuse of the country and the indigenous population for years that has only stopped in the last decade or so.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Targie said:
Because providing it costs money. Money that could be saved by not providing it.
This was a -good- decision.

I'm a northerner. I grew up on a council estate, I'm most definitely still working class and there's quite possibly nothing I fear more than the middle-upper class being in positions of authority.

Thatcher is not our equivalent of Dick Cheney or Bin Laden. I'm not going to totally outline my political views here but 30 years on, do children get free milk (at the expense of the government) at schools? And all of them mines, they've opened up again right? No?... Interesting
........seriously? Come on, it seems like a lot of people don't like her. Please tell me it is for more serious reasons than taking away free milk.

As for the mines, I get that it takes jobs away, but (I realize this is an unpopular view) I'm glad they stopped coal mining. I'm not saying this to be a troll, but because I'm worried about the environment and I hate the idea that we still use coal. I don't care if its "clean [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_coal_technology]", solar/wind/hydro/natural gas are better choices. I'm not trying to be a dick about the mining issue, I just think the environment is more important than any countries ability to employ people, even if it affect my own ability to find employment

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Sovvolf said:
I, like many Northerners, had steam, boiling hot steam cannoning from my ears when I even watched the trailers never mind the bloody film. The fact that the film apparently glosses over most the shit she did is nothing short of offensive.

The Artificially Prolonged said:
And incidentially when she does die, we should get the guiness record guys here to witness the worlds biggest congo line to pass over someone's grave.
All the North will be united for one special day and it will be like the end of The Return of The Jedi.
Don't forget the Midlands!

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
BlackStar42 said:
Sovvolf said:
I, like many Northerners, had steam, boiling hot steam cannoning from my ears when I even watched the trailers never mind the bloody film. The fact that the film apparently glosses over most the shit she did is nothing short of offensive.

The Artificially Prolonged said:
And incidentially when she does die, we should get the guiness record guys here to witness the worlds biggest congo line to pass over someone's grave.
All the North will be united for one special day and it will be like the end of The Return of The Jedi.
Don't forget the Midlands!
Okay, the Midlands can come too... The more the merrier I say, we can all gather in a conga singing "Ding dong the witch is dead" while getting drunk, partying, celebrating and digging that hole Frankie wants.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
number2301 said:
Yeah I pretty much knew I wouldn't watch this regardless. Why? A bit of context for Americans, for people from the north of England, Thatcher is our Bin Laden. No exaggeration.
North of England? lol pretty much every working class citizen in the entire of the british isles might be more truth