Escape to the Movies: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Chris Pine boldly goes forth to save the world, only this time without a starship.

Watch Video

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wait... you mean Chris Pine had to pretend to be an obnoxious douchbag? I though he just was an obnoxious douchbag.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I liked the first four Jack Ryan movies, but probably The Hunt for Red October is my favorite, this just seems to be the complete opposite of something I would enjoy. Thankfully the trailers that I have seen were enough to tell me that and using an actor like Chris Pine who every movie that they have been that I have seen I haven't really enjoyed gives me more then enough cause to wait for it to air on Netflix.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Yeah, I kinda saw this coming. Why do an action reboot of the Clancyverse with Jack Ryan as the Bourne character, when there's already an example of that type of character in the franchise in John Clark? Also, Without Remorse would've made a much better movie. Although they are supposedly working on an adaptation....

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Yeah, that's what I figured. Why the hell would they reboot Jack Ryan, just give Clancy fans the damn Without Remorse movie that's been in and out of Dev Hell forever.

It would work within the other Clancy movie framework too (aside from Sum of All Fears, which was kind of a moderny reboot compared to the other movies) and it would make for a really kick ass movie, basically "Jason Bourne as the Punisher whilst still doing Jason Bourne stuff." But no, instead we get Chris Pine shitting all over a recently deceased author's main character and fictional universe.

You even made me shout "oh COME ON!" a few times during this video when you showed the image of the Clancy novels and Without Remorse was RIGHT THERE!

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I?m curious if moviebob knows that saxton hale is a parody of unstoppable badass characters.

I thought chris pine was oke as kirk in the star trek reboot, despite that this movie doesn?t sound very interesting.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Darklord008 said:
Yeah, I kinda saw this coming. Why do an action reboot of the Clancyverse with Jack Ryan as the Bourne character, when there's already an example of that type of character in the franchise in John Clark? Also, Without Remorse would've made a much better movie. Although they are supposedly working on an adaptation....
THANK YOU. Seriously, that would make a great movie, especially if they kept it period correct instead of trying to update it and shove in a War on Terror subplot instead of the original. Also, you'd think it would be a given, it doesn't even need to be made "darker and edgier" as it's already pretty damned dark and edgy. Shame the adaptation has been in and out of Dev hell for like a decade.

I'm sure they'd still find a way to ruin it. Like, I don't know, Cast Mark Wahlberg as John Kelly, set it in Modern Day Chigaco or NY instead of 70's Baltimore, change the Drug to Meth (y'know, because Breaking Bad happened), find a way to make the CIA or other govt agency the main villain, and... okay, I'm just going to stop there, I already threw up into my mouth a little just describing that.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Yeah I was never going to see this film anyway so the fact that it's not actually any good doesn't change anything for me. There's a lot of good stuff out at the cinemas right now and this isn't one of them.

Also, I really wish Keira Knightley was in better movies. I'd pretend it's for some noble reason but it's not, I just think she's really pretty.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Come on, Bob, don't do this to me. You imply something so gobsmackingly stupid happens in a bad movie and part of me wants to see the movie just to confirm it really is that dumb.

I'm given to understand that Jack Ryan was roused from his sleep in London by prescient knowledge of what was happening in New York on September 11, 2001. Setting aside the paranormal aspects of that, does the movie offer any explanation of why he was sleeping at around 3 in the afternoon on a Tuesday? Or did they forget that the Earth is round and has time zones and show the sun just coming up in London at approximately 10AM in New York?

Can anyone who's seen this movie confirm or deny this?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I think a video on why the NES version of King Kong Lives never saw the light of day would have been a lot more interesting than what came out this weekend. Between this and The Nut Job, you're better off watching something else, folks. Maybe go find Hunt for Red October or Clear and Present Danger or Patriot Games on Netflix and see what an actual Jack Ryan movie looks like.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Bittersteel said:
tangoprime said:
Yeah, that's what I figured. Why the hell would they reboot Jack Ryan, just give Clancy fans the damn Without Remorse movie that's been in and out of Dev Hell forever.

It would work within the other Clancy movie framework too (aside from Sum of All Fears, which was kind of a moderny reboot compared to the other movies) and it would make for a really kick ass movie, basically "Jason Bourne as the Punisher whilst still doing Jason Bourne stuff." But no, instead we get Chris Pine shitting all over a recently deceased author's main character and fictional universe.

You even made me shout "oh COME ON!" a few times during this video when you showed the image of the Clancy novels and Without Remorse was RIGHT THERE!
THis we need! I have just got done with The sum of all fears, and I can't say how pissed off I'm at the film of it. They changed the terrorist from Muslims and communist terrorist (RAF) to extrem rightwings Nazis wannabes that want to created a fourth reich or some shit like that (I have seen the film yet, but I think that I will not like it). They missed the point of the damn book! ARRRGHGHGHGH! Anyway, the new Jack Ryan look all right enough.
Just did some digging, looks like Paramount decided to do this Jack Ryan movie and then do a spinoff Without Remorse movie set in this new universe... likely meaning they'll do the modern setting bullshit, as Costner is already signed to play Harper in both movies. While this pisses me off in that it'll follow this piece of crap film, at least there's actually new news about Without Remorse, although I think the modern update will strip the story of it's character just like the Sum of All Fears movie did.

http://collider.com/tom-hardy-without-remorse-jack-ryan-kevin-costner/

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Zenron said:
Yeah I was never going to see this film anyway so the fact that it's not actually any good doesn't change anything for me. There's a lot of good stuff out at the cinemas right now and this isn't one of them.

Also, I really wish Keira Knightley was in better movies. I'd pretend it's for some noble reason but it's not, I just think she's really pretty.
She's in rather a lot. You just may have never heard of them. In fact, some of the best films being made nowadays never make it to wide release as the business model of the movie theater is changing radically.

Some I've seen on Netflix that are very low key, Last Night, A Dangerous Method.

Never Let Me Go sounds fascinating but I'm not sure I can handle it emotionally. Argh. I'll put it in the queue.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Johnny Depp as Doctor Strange?

Okay, I can picture that, sure. I dunno if he has the gravitas for Strange's more srs bsns moments, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt at least.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I vaguely remember seeing one ad for this. Didn't even know this was a Tom Clancy Mary Sue character.

This review has only made me care even less.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
you want to do a Clancy action movie with the war on terror? was I the only one who read rainbow six?(it was a book before the game and it was kick ass) I mean seriously that and teeth of the tiger would be perfect to fit this role and people would love them but no we get these idiots fucking up one of my favorite fictional characters so bad that I cant be mad at bob for dissing his book form........god dam it I hate Hollywood some times.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Nobody walks away from a helicopter crash like that. Nobody.

Except Toreno.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Sanunes said:
I liked the first four Jack Ryan movies, but probably The Hunt for Red October is my favorite, this just seems to be the complete opposite of something I would enjoy.
Darklord008 said:
Oh absolutely. Sum of All Fears was forgettable for me, but the other three are fantastic movies, and Without Remorse is the best novel I read in my teenage years.

Everyone listen up!

If you have never seen these movies, go see them!
The Hunt for Red October [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/]
Patriot Games [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105112/]
Clear and Present Danger [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109444/]

If you're a book-reading type of person, I recommend those three far above most of the rest of his work.

Then, in Clear and Present Danger, Willem Dafoe plays a character named John Clark. The book Without Remorse is a prequel that covers Clark's backstory, and it's almost universally held as Tom Clancy's best work. Even if you don't normally read on a regular basis, go read Without Remorse.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Clancy. ::sigh::

Clancy was great when he still felt relevant, back in the mid 1980s through the early 1990s. Back when there was still an actual Cold War and the potential (however remote) for a true superpowers war. Red Storm Rising was some great Clancy war-imagination at work. The Hunt for Red October was interesting and contextually relevant. It wasn't until Clancy went off of the Cold War into things like Clear and Present Danger that he started to feel less ... interesting, despite that being a pretty good book overall. I gave up around Executive Decision.

I just don't think that Clancy really transitioned out of the Cold War era particularly well. When we start invoking his name for things like H.A.W.X. (which was, admittedly, an amusing game), it just starts to feel like generic name-branding, which, frankly, it was.

Now we feel the need to reboot Ryan? What? I wasn't even aware of this until this video and I can't be more... well... if my eyes rolled anymore, I'd probably give myself vertigo.