Escape to the Movies: John Wick - Keanu Kicks Ass, Takes Names

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Oh, another thing: so the main characters motivation is to take revenge on hoodlums who (among other things) killed his dog? So is this a case of a ''Fridged Dog'' or a ''Dog In The Refridgerator''? I guess this movie's one to avoid for animal lovers!
Not at all. Just saw it. There is real motivation behind it, but I don't want to spoil it. Let's just say you don't mess with a man's family, including his dog.

Also, I freaking love his house in this movie!

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I'm not really impressed by the Avengers AoU teaser trailer. The line at the end of the trailer, where Ultron said: 'There are... no strings on me' was a Razzy certified line. So... bad.

I'm sure that they didn't just killed his dog, they invaded his home and kicked the crap out of him. If that doesn't sound like a reason for a hit man to bring his guns to the yard, then I don't know what is.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
MovieBob said:
John Wick - Keanu Kicks Ass, Takes Names

Never mess with a hitman's dog.

Watch Video
So just regarding that Archie comment at the end... you've never heard of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvMfGDpe7g

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
ThetaReactor said:
The terse fight choreography is actually giving me a big Collateral vibe. It's a nice change from the usual half-assed running and diving shtick.
Yes! Collateral! AKA one of the best action movies ever. ...that could've had a better ending. That movie is very bittersweet for me.

But I'm lookin' forward to this movie. I don't love it when an animal is killed--or any innocent, really--but I'm definitely going to see this. Say what you will about Keanu, but he knows his way around an action scene, and the man's got a heart of gold.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
BarbaricGoose said:
ThetaReactor said:
The terse fight choreography is actually giving me a big Collateral vibe. It's a nice change from the usual half-assed running and diving shtick.
Yes! Collateral! AKA one of the best action movies ever. ...that could've had a better ending. That movie is very bittersweet for me.

But I'm lookin' forward to this movie. I don't love it when an animal is killed--or any innocent, really--but I'm definitely going to see this. Say what you will about Keanu, but he knows his way around an action scene, and the man's got a heart of gold.
I notice a lot of people don't want to see this movie because the dog gets killed. Still it seems genius. Don't have it be a daughter or wife or something. Have it simply be a single man's lone companion. It makes the villains next to irredeemable and because it was something as innocent as a puppy (a wiener dog no less T-T)its the best kind of catharsis to see someone make them all pay for it.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Yojoo said:
I'm disappointed to not hear anything about Alfie Allen's performance. I've always thought that his capability in Game of Thrones was seriously underrated, and I'm really interested to see him in other roles. It would have been nice to hear whether his acting is up to par when surrounded by so many bigger names in a major film release.
He wasn't in much of it, to be honest. Pieces here and there, and his acting was about on par with his GoT acting.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Maybe because I've only seen him in a few movies, I don't think Reeves is a bad actor. I never really got that feeling from him. From what I've seen, his range doesn't seem to be giant or anything, but he's better than other people and does what he does well.

As for the Avengers trailer, well, yeah, it kind of just feels like I'm looking at the first one again. Also, I'm having trouble seeing how this will play into the gems and infinity gauntlet and Thanos storyline. I swear if this turns out to be another Iron Man 2, just ugh.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Oh, another thing: so the main characters motivation is to take revenge on hoodlums who (among other things) killed his dog? So is this a case of a ''Fridged Dog'' or a ''Dog In The Refridgerator''? I guess this movie's one to avoid for animal lovers!
You know, I was going to make a comment about this being so facetious and unlikely. Then I noticed there were people in this thread who (seemingly honestly) said they would not see it for this very reason.

I... I have no words.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Jman1236 said:
Seeing as I'm a dog lover, and my dog of 10 years pass away back in may I couldn't watch the trailers after they killed the dog, but it's good to hear it's a good movie.

Also, wait isn't Scarlet Witch an X-men character? I thought she was Magneto's daughter, don't fox have the rights to those characters still?
Yeah, it's hard to sit there knowing what's going to happen to the dog. Like the review of it by The Cinema Snob said, "It's like they genetically bred the dog for ultimate cuteness." The pooch is onscreen for like 5 minutes, but damn if they aren't a cute as hell 5 minutes. You feel more emotional attachment to that dog than to his wife, and they had comparable screen time. But I enjoyed it immensely. It was a fun Roaring Rampage of Revenge film, with the twist of it being "You killed my dog" not "You killed my wife" or "You kidnapped my child." So I enjoyed it a lot. The bit with the dog, while painful, was brief, and then you are totally on board with John Wick for carving a path of bloody vengeance through the criminal underworld on behalf of that beagle puppy.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yojoo said:
I'm disappointed to not hear anything about Alfie Allen's performance. I've always thought that his capability in Game of Thrones was seriously underrated, and I'm really interested to see him in other roles. It would have been nice to hear whether his acting is up to par when surrounded by so many bigger names in a major film release.
He does well, he's just playing a character very similar to his one on GoT. I'm afraid he's going to be typecast as the "weasely, greasy, asshole guy with a complex about being treated LIKE A MAN! And doing cruel and mean things to show people that HE'S A MAN!" He did really well at what he did in the film, which is to play an obnoxious, weasley, whiney idiot who did something stupid and then tried to run from the ramifications of that choice.

The breakout performance to me was Dean Winters!! You know, the Insurance Mayhem Guy!! He's in this movie and he's hilarious! xD Though after checking his wiki page, he's apparently been in several movies and I just didn't know it. Still, he was an amusing addition to a good star studded cast, having fun playing their roles.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
could love to see this movie, simple, does what it says on the tin. Its just fucking annoying does not come out in the UK till fucking JANUARY 2015......the fuck !?

Korsgaard

Aug 9, 2013
Finally saw this movie based on the review. It was great... how in the hell did it get beaten at the box office by the movie about a board game though?!