Escape to the Movies: John Wick - Keanu Kicks Ass, Takes Names

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Jman1236 said:
Seeing as I'm a dog lover, and my dog of 10 years pass away back in may I couldn't watch the trailers after they killed the dog, but it's good to hear it's a good movie.

Also, wait isn't Scarlet Witch an X-men character? I thought she was Magneto's daughter, don't fox have the rights to those characters still?
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are uniquely co-owned currently. They can be used by both Fox and Disney.

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/04/why-is-quicksilver-in-two-movies-x-men.html#.VElIufldWSo

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Wait... the bad guys "beat up his dog"?

That has to be the most weird revenge movie justification in quite some time. It is so preposterous it could pass as a parody of the genre...

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Evonisia said:
Given that the episode was filled with filler, I get the impression that the film is just good but in a boring way. Not much to say about it, but given that it is an action film I don't expect anything else from it, and I might check it out when I get the chance.
If those action clips didn't sell you on it, I don't think there's much else to say to convince you.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the fight choreography reminds me of eastern style gun flicks. Those long takes are wonderful :D

Jump cuts are bad :p

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I dunno, so the movie is getting rave reviews, but I'm still inclined to give it a pass given how completely turned-off I am from the trailer. Nothing but trite and cliche, mixed with the cardinal sin of killing an animal as a cheap and lazy tactic to get the audience emotionally invested, and then pours it on all the thicker by giving the dog a sappy origin story. All the glaring reviews this movie seems to be getting, and I just can't convince myself that it's worth seeing. And don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of person who needs to reference doesthedogdie.com before needing to see a movie, nor does it bother me all that much when animals get killed in movies. I just found it to be a lazy and predictable (given how much the trailer played-up the puppy) method of pulling at the audience's heart strings. It's also hard to really believe the motives of the villain when he seems like the kind of guy who's rich enough to have an entire garage-full of muscle cars. I get that he doesn't realize who he's fucking with (until it's too late), but it just seems like going to carsoup.com would have gotten this guy the same results with less hassle.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was worried when the first 1.5 minutes was about the Avengers 2 trailer, but it's good to hear John Wick is a good, fun, action-in-your-face movie. Just like the kind I grew up with. I just might go see it Saturday.

As for Avengers 2, I just hope Elizabeth Olsen has more range there than in Godzilla. Still looking forward to it.

captcha: worship nothing
Guys, I think the captcha generator's becoming self-aware.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I think it's funny we're assuming Olsen won't wear a suit. My guess is that comes from the first act when they break out of the facility they are in (spoiler) at the end of Cap 2.

I also am calling slight of hand on Marvel's part. They are making it look like more of the same, I don't think it will be. It's really easy to show things horridly out of context in a trailer... really that's all a trailer is. But I think come May, we'll realize just how different this movie was from what this trailer made it out to be.

OT - John Wick eh? Those fight scenes almost have me sold. Maybe Gone Girl will have to wait another week before it enters my eyes.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Of all the places I'd expect to see an Archie TV series crop up, I would not have guessed FOX. This could be a sign that they're planning to launch a more family-friendly block of animated programming (possibly also including that Flintstones reboot that still hasn't happened yet), or maybe they really are gonna give it the full Family Guy treatment and nobody at Archie Comics gives a toss because, hey, money is money I guess.

Bindal said:
So, now I basically got yet another reason to snatch the DVD once it's released. Alright.

And for those curious, what the first reason is:
And yes, it's free! [http://store.steampowered.com/app/330010/]
Huh. This is pretty cool. Why should the only things that get tie-in content in video games be other video games, anyway? Stuff like this is a good way to reinforce the idea that video games are just a medium like any other.

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
Gizmo1990 said:
I would have loved to go see this movie, it looks fun and there is nothing else out right now but I just can't. It makes no sense, I can watch a movie with any kind of body count and not care but I just can't watch a movie where a dog dies. I love dogs and I simply can't watch a movie where they die, it simply bums me out.
Very much agreed, the movie looks good, but I'll have to wait until I'm in a situation where I can fast forward through the scene. Can't watch dogs get hurt, even in a movie.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
You don't know how happy that makes me.

I like Reeves. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person but I think that in certain roles, he's absolutely perfect. I suppose one could say that makes him a bad actor if he can only do a handful of roles but I don't care; love the guy.

I was worried about this film since October seems to be a "let's release the shitty stuff and the horror stuff now before Oscar-Bait time" so I'm really happy this looks exactly what it looks like; a straight-up and good action movie.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
hermes200 said:
Wait... the bad guys "beat up his dog"?

That has to be the most weird revenge movie justification in quite some time. It is so preposterous it could pass as a parody of the genre...
Actually, that's what sold me on the film. I'll admit I'd never even heard of it before the John Wick (free) DLC for Payday 2 came out (yes really, but...

Basically, the whole "They killed his dog thing" is framed as being completely self aware in the trailer. They're shown killing his dog in that super-fast edited trailer way, and then it immediately cuts to a shot of John Wick standing over his dog's fresh grave and saying "They've taken everything from me". It is then explained that the dog was a last gift from his dying wife, but that aside, it seems like they're fully aware of how silly it is.

Plus I think most dog owners would agree; if you were a badass hitman and someone killed your dog, you totally would hunt them down.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Oooh, a nod to Punisher: War Zone. That's cool!

That said, I'd wish Bob would keep the Marvel slavering to his written articles. So sick of that franchise and what it's doing to the AAA film landscape.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
You guys obviously haven't seen Revenge for Jolly! A dog owner would kill everyone that gets in his way to find out if someone knows what happened to it. Only rather than being a one trick pony (taking one idea and coasting with it), Wick takes it as a self-aware premise that I can actually buy considering John Wick's background, as a starting point for many other awesome ideas/characters/sequences. John Wick seems to be like a amalgamation of some of the best actions movies the past few years woven together perfectly. No similarity to the punisher film movie bob, and be glad for it.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
You know what I like about this movie? That the guy actually misses cuz he's out of practice. That sold me on the entire thing.

Jman1236 said:
Seeing as I'm a dog lover, and my dog of 10 years pass away back in may I couldn't watch the trailers after they killed the dog, but it's good to hear it's a good movie.

Also, wait isn't Scarlet Witch an X-men character? I thought she was Magneto's daughter, don't fox have the rights to those characters still?
If I'm not mistaken, the only unusable part of X-men "core" characters and calling some character "mutant" AFAIK.

Captcha: Since when.

I have to prove nothing to you captcha, go away.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
MatsVS said:

That said, I'd wish Bob would keep the Marvel slavering to his written articles. So sick of that franchise and what it's doing to the AAA film landscape.
MatsVS said:

*sigh*

Ok, I'll bite. What horrible thing has the Marvel done to the "AAA film landscape"?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Oh come on! Seriously, I was expecting today review to be The Book of Life!
I can't wait for that.

OT:

They killed his derg!?

AND IT WAS A BEAGLE!!! I'm not sure if I can make it through the first part of the film to enjoy the rest...

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
I've been waiting for someone to say "like Punisher:War Zone" for some time now.
And I am thrilled it finally happened :D