Escape to the Movies: Killing Them Softly

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
You know, I really wanted to like Assassination of Jesse James. I read alot about the James/Younger gang, the whole thing. I love the story and the history there. I love slow, introspective films. I even somewhat liked the source material.

I hated the film. It's gorgeous, the performances are excellent, but it feels like a pretentious version of a greatest hits album of Jesse James as played by a midnight anchor on your local PBS affiliate.

llamaquest101

Nov 18, 2009
I thought he called it killing me softly as a joke at first, because this nearly bored me to death. I watched Silent Hill 3D and awful though it was, it was far more watchable than this.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I was looking forward to this. I like gritty small time criminal stories. Also, I'd like to point out that I absolutely hate Boston accent. It sounds like talking to a child with a mouthful of chocolate or something.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
No matter when or where I hear about this movie, I can't help but think of that song. You know the one I mean.

Danarok

Oct 19, 2008
I assume he was doing a Boston accent (I'n guessing here as a non-american) due to the setting location of the film he was reviewing. I must say though, his usual accent is much easier on the ears and overall far less distracting.

TheSuperBrando

Dec 7, 2012
MovieBob, the only thing worse than your accent is when you switch between your accent and actual English.

I love your videos though.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
For those weird people that seem to like accents...
I'm Dutch (meaning I live in The Netherlands) and you seriously do NOT want to hear the accent that seems to accompany the average Dutch person when they speak English.
I think you could compare that with a Swedish person trying to do a Boston accent with a overinflated tongue after having received a lobotomy and being completely devoid of all human emotion.
It's that bad...

I found a video... this made me want to kill myself... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3l6JTA31U

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Can't wait for the Star Trek review! I mean, all the new teaser trailer had were EXPLOSIONS and WOMEN SCREAMING and EXPLOSIONS and PEOPLE JUMPING and EXPLOSIONS and SHERLOCK HOLMES THREATENING VENGEANCE and EXPLOSIONS. And some more EXPLOSIONS. So I know his review will be entertaining. :D
What, was this film sponsored by the Torque Corporation?

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Had to stop this one. Can't stand the accent. Not sure if it's a problem with the recording, but it's just awful to hear it creep in and out.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
bibblles said:
I actually went to this one and I gotta say, bob is really playing down the political drama in this film. It was so prominent that I was the only one of my friends who didn't wind up angry. I came out of the theater laughing my ass off because of how clever the whole setup was. while my friends were all grumbling about how they had to see more political stuff after the election.
Really? [BEGIN ANGRY OLD MAN RANT] Dangit, can't we have a simple criminal heist flick with guns and tough guys without cramming politics into it? What was the movie saying, all politicians and stockbrokers are criminals? Ooh, edgy! [END ANGRY OLD MAN RANT]
But really, Bob, I liked how you let out the Bawston accent again to poke fun at your hometown. It can't really be that much of a hive of scum and villainy, can it? It's not in my list of cities fitting that description. It was nice when I went there.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Can't watch it. If we let them get away with a title just because the majority people who'd spend money on it happen to be young enough to not know the song it came from they wont stop. I don't want to watch a drug movie called "Bite the Dust".

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Very good review and yet another film that probably would have gone over my head.

Also, return of the Boston accent!

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
JenSeven said:
I'm Dutch (meaning I live in The Netherlands) and you seriously do NOT want to hear the accent that seems to accompany the average Dutch person when they speak English.
I think you could compare that with a Swedish person trying to do a Boston accent with a overinflated tongue after having received a lobotomy and being completely devoid of all human emotion.
It's that bad...

I found a video... this made me want to kill myself... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3l6JTA31U
Haha awesome, I love accents.
I actually was in the Netherlands with my girlfriend for a few weeks so I got used to it, but its been a while :p
That's such a hard accent.
I wish I had a video of a really bad Hebrew accented English, but I wasn't too lucky searching youtube.
I really have a hard time keeping a straight face when I hear my family speak english.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
I waited for the point Bob would state outright what the "political point" would be... But it didn't come, so I did what I could on my own...

Pretty much, the film might be saying that the financial crisis, and any matters regarding money on large scale going bust is usually the result of widespread incompetence. So...

...What would be the best solution at that point? Stepping back and letting the greedy, and temporarily successful but dumb get what was coming to them? Or Find some way to solve the problem of incompetence by fixing the education system?

Who knows? For all I care, it doesn't matter. Giants rise because they are lucky and fall because they were careless. But Great men rise thanks to great care and consideration; and fall only when defeated by an even more competent man.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Brad Pitt playing an evil version of another one of his characters... does he have a goatee in this one? Yes? excellent.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
maxben said:
JenSeven said:
It's that bad...

Haha awesome, I love accents.
I actually was in the Netherlands with my girlfriend for a few weeks so I got used to it, but its been a while :p
That's such a hard accent.
I wish I had a video of a really bad Hebrew accented English, but I wasn't too lucky searching youtube.
I really have a hard time keeping a straight face when I hear my family speak english.
Wait...
"That's such a hard accent."
You mean a hard accent, as in to copy?
Why would you do such a terrible thing? The average Dutch accent when speaking English is simply dreadful. I would not advice anyone to perform such an atrocity on the English language.
Sure the actual Dutch language is quite hard with several sounds that do not exist in the English language or sound completely different, but to use that when actually speaking the English language can be compared to torture of the ear drums.