Escape to the Movies: Killing Them Softly

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Must say, I don't mind the accent but stick to it and don't keep the fading in and out of the damn thing. I'm sure if a character in a movie forgot to use an accent during a particular scene you would be all over that foolishness and poor editing.

Also, I thought you said the movie wasn't based in Boston but rather in New Orleans? Why even use your accent then?

OT: Not a movie I was particularly interested in seeing before except once you pointed out the political spin on it, I might give it a try. Not in theaters though. Until the Hobbit comes out I'm no longer adventuring to the movies but rather sticking to my own home and Netflix account.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
bibblles said:
I actually went to this one and I gotta say, bob is really playing down the political drama in this film. It was so prominent that I was the only one of my friends who didn't wind up angry. I came out of the theater laughing my ass off because of how clever the whole setup was. while my friends were all grumbling about how they had to see more political stuff after the election.
Really? [BEGIN ANGRY OLD MAN RANT] Dangit, can't we have a simple criminal heist flick with guns and tough guys without cramming politics into it? What was the movie saying, all politicians and stockbrokers are criminals? Ooh, edgy! [END ANGRY OLD MAN RANT]
But really, Bob, I liked how you let out the Bawston accent again to poke fun at your hometown. It can't really be that much of a hive of scum and villainy, can it? It's not in my list of cities fitting that description. It was nice when I went there.
Really, did this only come out in the states a week or 2 ago? I saw this in Australia in the cinema about 2 1/2 months ago.

Anyways - I found the film to be more of an economic study and introspection more than a political one, but the two are very intertwined and i guess it's just how you look at it. Maybe being in Australia i just had a more outside view on it. But, i really enjoyed it. And even if look at as a political analogy, it really wasn't so much saying "all politicians and stockbrokers are criminals", as just drawing parallels between the economies of the two ends of the world and the problems faced by them. That's how i took it anyways, like i said, maybe just an outsider's view.

Anyways. Good film. Not the best, but i described it to my friends as an extremely interesting film.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
I'll tell you the reason no body watched that film Bob.

The name...... it's got to be the most uncomfortably long film name in the history of film names.

The Assassination of Jesse James would have sufficed.
It might have 'sufficed' for audiences but it was important to the film. Most underrated film of the decade, that one.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Woodsey said:
Abandon4093 said:
I'll tell you the reason no body watched that film Bob.

The name...... it's got to be the most uncomfortably long film name in the history of film names.

The Assassination of Jesse James would have sufficed.
It might have 'sufficed' for audiences but it was important to the film. Most underrated film of the decade, that one.
Why do we need to know he was a coward in the title?

Surely the films characterisation of him would have been enough. Or is it supposed to be some sort of on the nose rip at propaganda?

I'm honestly asking because I haven't seen the film. I just know the title seems needlessly long and awkward. And yes, that will put audiences off.
Because it's important for the irony of it to linger over the film. It's similarly important that it's also called The Assassination of Jesse James and not just Jesse James, or something else entirely. It's also arguably more a film about Ford than it is about James, but obviously the entire thing pivots on the assassination.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
TheSchaef said:
I am looking forward to Into Darkness about as much as I imagine Bob is not.
He's not excited about something with Benedict Cumberpatch in it?

It's...Sherlock <.<...

themerrygambit

Mar 1, 2010
Bob... I love your reviews but you gotta stop forcing the Boston accent. I just started watching your reviews again after an 8 month hiatus and half the time you sound normal while the other half the time you sound like you're trying to imitate Micky Ward from the fighter. You move to Southie or somethin? lol

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
theultimateend said:
It's a paradox he'll have to resolve but he will surprise me with a glowing review, unless the movie is just so freaking good that it surprises him first.

Historically, Bob has not looked kindly on modern reworkings that eschew certain elements of beloved franchises to make them more actiony and explosiony. While I think the previous movie just barely predates this series, he has referenced it numerous times since, and pretty much always as a negative comparison. See also: Transformers. He was slightly kinder to Sherlock Holmes but almost entirely on the strength of Downey and Law's expert acting.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
TheSchaef said:
theultimateend said:
It's a paradox he'll have to resolve but he will surprise me with a glowing review, unless the movie is just so freaking good that it surprises him first.

Historically, Bob has not looked kindly on modern reworkings that eschew certain elements of beloved franchises to make them more actiony and explosiony. While I think the previous movie just barely predates this series, he has referenced it numerous times since, and pretty much always as a negative comparison. See also: Transformers. He was slightly kinder to Sherlock Holmes but almost entirely on the strength of Downey and Law's expert acting.
I liked that movie but I was referencing the literal Sherlock BBC series where Benedict Cumberpatch is Sherlock.

It's one of the best pieces of television I've seen in my entire life.

Possibly on an entirely different echelon than most film. But I might be overstating how much I adore it...but probably not.

As for Transformers, I'm not exactly a professional and the vast amount of money they made suggests I'm wrong, but I felt the actual cinematography of the film was pretty bad. Michael Bay is kind of like Jazz to me, I don't understand how anyone likes it, but I just accept that other people have different tastes than me and respect their decisions.

I'm a fan of action and explosions though >.>... When done properly they make me feel good. The Avengers being a great example recently. Or First Class, the anchor scene had me with my jaw dropped the entire time. Something genuinely clever about it.

Anywho, BENEDICT! He's like Michael Fassbender, any film with either of them in it I'll see. Sadly that meant I mistakenly walked into Prometheus, but if you edit out all of the film but his parts its still a fantastic performance.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
No, I know you were talking about Benedict, I was just saying that any love he may have for the actor will have to offset his distaste for action-packed reboots.

And I know what you mean about a good actor elevating even a bad film. Planet of the Apes was... well it just wasn't very good. But Paul Giamatti can still steal every scene he's in, and Tim Roth was just freaking amazing.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Why is it that I've been watching MovieBob for a year or two now, and all of a sudden he can't control his overblown (and I think played up) Baaahstin accent?