Escape to the Movies: Kingsman: The Secret Service - Can Lightning Strike Again?

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
KazeAizen said:
Mezahmay said:
I couldn't help but notice that there was no video transcript with a star rating at the bottom for this video. It is also the only video in a few months whose subtitle is ambiguous about MovieBob's opinion of the movie. I can't help but feel this is not a coincidence.
That may be because this is his last episode.
Didn't know that at the time. I do now after seeing the thread in Off-Topic Discussion. That's a major bummer.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
pearcinator said:
Man I want to see a movie based on Seven Ancient Wonders novel! America (Representing the Freemasons) AND Europe (Representing the Catholic Church) are villains (who also oppose each other) while the heroes come from a wide-range of smaller nations such as Australia, UK, Middle-East, Canada, Spain, NZ etc. I wonder if there would be a backlash over a film version of that book. America needs to get off their 'throne' and realise that hey, some nations see America as villains (notably Asian countries) and that they shouldn't take movies too seriously, especially highly stylised movies like The Kingsman.
That's Matthew Reilly isn't it? Because I swear that guy writes books like Michael Bay makes movies, though for some reason I find his books hit way, way more than they miss. I'll never forget 'Temple' where the archaeologist disarms the nuclear, world killing bomb. Inside a tank. That's in free-fall.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Really Escapist? You get rid of a guy who makes FOUR different segments, two for videos and two for articles? Criminy, what is UP with the downsizing? Oh well, I'll follow Bob if just because I need somebody to entertain me with movie reviews. He is looking into starting a Patreon, so keep an eye on his blog.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Ferisar said:
The thing is, none of them need to. With other websites and platforms for payments existing out there, they have a whole lot of options for floating on as single entities on the great boat of the internet. It's a damn shame what's happening on this site, but if that's the way it's going, then fuck it. It's not worth losing sleep over.
I appreciate being able to check in on a single site every day or so and see what's new, not to mention having a single forum instead of having to register a dozen different accounts just to discuss episodes or put up with unmoderated, anonymous comment sections that are always 90% trolls. That's what I appreciated about Channel Awesome too.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
as much as bob frequently pissed me off, and as annoyed as i was at his "sometimes i have a boston accent, but not always" voice, i still found myself watching most of his reviews. more than once he pissed me off to the point where i swore i'd never watch again.

that being said, i'd love if all the talent this site has let slip over the years (Jim, Bob, EC, Lisa Foiles...) team up with Yahtzee and go make their own site. i've been a near daily visitor to this site since 2008, and when i wanted to comment on a ZP video, i made an account in 2009. slowly and steadily i feel as though i've seen the soul of this site stripped out.

my biggest pet peeve on this site is the fact that there are spelling and grammar errors on nearly every article any more. i notice them immediately. do contributors not proof-read? do the articles not go to the editor first? and if so, why are they missing these glaring errors?

another problem is over-zealous mods. before here, i was a frequent poster on GameFAQS, and hated how censored and moderated it all was, treating it's users like children. but then i found here, a site where i could talk about bad gameplay features and feel free to say "fuck that shit!" if i so chose. but then the mods came in harder and harder.

first they came for the low content posters, and i did not speak up because i was not a low content poster.
then they came for the trolls, and i did not speak up because i was not a troll.
then they came for me. and there was no one left to speak for me.

The Choke

Nov 5, 2014
This is Bob's last review? But he and Jim were the whole reason I came to this site.

Bummer.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wait, MovieBob got fired! What the hell? I didn't always agree with him but he stood by his convictions and always explained his rationale well, this sucks.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
That's Matthew Reilly isn't it? Because I swear that guy writes books like Michael Bay makes movies, though for some reason I find his books hit way, way more than they miss. I'll never forget 'Temple' where the archaeologist disarms the nuclear, world killing bomb. Inside a tank. That's in free-fall.
Yep! Over-the-top action set-pieces at its finest. He wants to make a movie based on his novels but so far no-one wants to give him the (admittedly hundreds of millions) dollars to do it!

Seven Ancient Wonders (and its sequels) would probably be best as a TV show. However it would likely be more expensive to produce than Game of Thrones. What with all the globe-trotting, epic scale booby-traps and the like. I hope one day there will be a 'Scarecrow' or 'Huntsman' movie/show!

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Well can't say I'm not happy Bob has driven me batty lately with his sometimes ill informed options.

But I shall not forget the Bob of circa 3+ years ago who was the major draws of this website.

Sadly in recent years he's fallen quite hard into a petty little man who's opinion of a film is almost decided before its released. Looks down on his view ship, his peers (other film critics) and is pretty much self righteous in his beliefs.

Can't say I'm sorry he's gone as it'll stop me getting riled up by him as he occasionally says something I'm interested in.

As for the website as a whole I do worry Greg Tito I believe was a massive loss and to loose two 'talents' so shortly after is quite big. On top of LRR finished in December although that's the creators decision well over a year ago. You do wonder where it's going.

Will say one thing there was a feature overload recently so no surprise they are looking at cuts.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Eri said:
You're about done? Why? Because all the SJWs are now gone? There is a reason they are no longer here, and it is because they are anti gaming, and anti equality. Even if they weren't, most of their behavior was deplorable and most of their claims factually false.
....I'm going to assume that this is some sort of parodic statement or joke whose context I am missing, because otherwise that is the most irrelevant and apropos of nothing statement I've seen today.

Anyway, glad you got to go out with some fun, Bob, although I'd assume that, had you known this was coming, you would have done something more personal, maybe talk about Spiderman some more.

Dakkagor

Sep 5, 2011
I hate to say it, but with the forums as horribly toxic as they are currently, and the slow lose of content, I'm wondering why I'm still here.

Oh look! I can get feed dump and Yahtzee on youtube!

Ciao!

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
So Bob's done here. That sucks. Considering the other major loss of talent on the site (Jim), I get the feeling this is more for political reasons than content or even necessarily hits. And...yeah. That's bad.

It's been a good run though. Lots of thoughtful pieces, some good movie recommendations, and a general will to be a positive force in the community. Been watching the show for, oh, half a decade or so. I'd say it's been worth my time. Hope ya land on your feet!

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Where is everyone getting the idea that this is Bob's last episode here?

Did I miss something?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
truckspond said:
Where is everyone getting the idea that this is Bob's last episode here?

Did I miss something?
Yes, you did miss something. He's no longer working for this site.

http://moviebob.blogspot.ca/2015/02/all-good-things.html

Moeez

May 28, 2009
So much cheeky, darkly comic fun. Could be the best action movie of 2015 and only see Mad Max or Furious 7 as the true competition.

Not enough people are mentioning the amazing choreography and cinematography during the action scenes. The whip pans, extreme zooms, rotations all make out for very kinetic and yet still coherent setpieces. Easily some of the best I've seen in a Western movie, besting even John Wick, Kick Ass, Dredd, Crank, and Edgar Wright's action movies. Same choreographer, Brad Allan, as The World's End and who was a member of Jackie Chan's stunt team. Colin Firth really gave his all in this [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152060759&postcount=199]. The early bar fight is just a fraction of how crazy it gets:

TheAlien

Apr 18, 2014
Am I glad Bob is gone? No. But he brought it on himself. Instead of reviewing movies the way he did years ago, he puts everything through his political filter and decides what he's going to say before he watches the movie. Basically, he's gone so far politically left that even the Left doesn't like him because he's making THEM look bad. This review, as well his abysmal review of American Sniper (where he showed his true opinion of anything conservative, let alone American) pretty much cinched the deal. Heck, he even made Paddington Bear into a political thought process. Paddington Bear for god's sake! He was WAY on his way out, he was just so preoccupied with how awesome he thought he was that he didn't think it possible. Bob, it was a good run, but like a bad marriage, it died half-way through.