Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

This week Moviebob reviews Knight and Day. Does Tom Cruise regain his Mission Impossible era action movie status or is this just another action romance comedy to let pass by? Also, we take a look at the Smurfs trailer.

Watch Video

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm 22. I'm aware of Romancing the Stone and my parents own it on VHS (it's "their movie", similar to "their song"). I still have never seen it, though I want to. That's far more than I can say for the Smurfs movie.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Oh man, that Smurfs trailer. When I saw it, I was pretty disgusted about it too. How far can you take a franchise in the wrong direction? Well... just ask whoever is making the Smurfs movie, Uwe Boll, and Michael Bay. It's like the unholy trinity.

OBZ

Mar 21, 2010
Bob, I never realized how adept you are at ignoring me. Review "Unthinkable"!! Also, I don't see Tom Cruise as a sub-par actor now. He's the same dude except no one wants to give the great roles anymore because of his performance on Oprah. It's stupid. He's crazy, who cares? Let him act dammit!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
3D versions of the smurfs look kind of creepy, I also did not know they were originally Belgium.
the more you know i guess.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
xyrafhoan said:
Oh man, that Smurfs trailer. When I saw it, I was pretty disgusted about it too. How far can you take a franchise in the wrong direction? Well... just ask whoever is making the Smurfs movie, Uwe Boll, and Michael Bay. It's like the unholy trinity.
I would replace Boll with the guys behind the Alvin and the Chimpmucks movie to make the unholy trinity about making frankstien monsters out of 80's cartoons.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
A US Dangermouse?!

It doesn't exist and it's making my british blood boil :)

pfloriani

Jul 24, 2009
My thoughts on a Green Hornet movie: If they can't resurrect Bruce Lee to play Kato, I can't be bothered to think about it.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.
but soon they will be screwing with 90's cartoons so just let them get through all the 80's cartoons
(but scooby-doo was originally made in the 60's )
They are runing out of ideas so they are taking from the past and just spiting on people's child hood favourites like the teenage mutant ninja turtles that MICHAEL BAY is directing. grrrrrr rage.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
I was actually hoping MovieBob got to do another DVD/Older movie discussion like he did for Heavy Metal, cause nothing interesting came out this week. So yea a Tom Cruise's movie where he is trying to up Mr. and Mrs. Smith cause he has that suppose rivalry with Brad Pitt? and fails?

I hate how the smurfs trailer is showing the fact they will be using the name "smurf" as a every cuss word fill in. We did that in college for about 3 minutes before it got annoying (we also add a few "Snorks" in there too, anyone remember them besides me?) This is going to be a whole movie of people doing that all the time isn't it?

I am scared for other cartoon shows I grew up with....

But Still a fun video MovieBob

not caring for Green Hornet, I rather wait for the other green superhero.... Green Arrow!!

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
My parent love romance of the stone for some reason

Also your prononciation was pretty good, I think you just mangle the t a bit

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I remember seeing the Smurfs trailers when I went to see Toy Story 3, and I'm curious to know how the movie will work. Smurfs in New York? Why? Also, how will Gargamel fit in this movie?

Side note: I didn't know the Smurfs were Belgium. And now I know. Thanks, Bob.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Yeah, the second I saw that the Smurfs trailer, I nearly vomited all over my computer. I know we haven't seen any "real" footage yet, but if that "SMURF HAPPENS" means anything, it probably indicates that this film will be a heaping pile of smurf...

[small]-Also, being directed by the same guy who directed such classics as the live-action Scooby-Doo movie and Beverly Hills Chihuahua doesn't help much...[/small]

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, I am from Belgium. But here right now are far bigger concerns, like getting a proper government (haven't exactly had one in years).
Personally, I watched that Smurfs cartoon when I was 5, couldn't care less what happens to it.
A film like this is doomed to fail, epicly.

Incidentally, and a nice cross-over between that other movie, Belgium is one of the few countries that is actively trying to halt Scientology, that is trying to be active here because the European Government is seated in Brussels.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
It's really weird that you say no one under 25 remembers Romancing the Stone. I'm 19 and the minute you wrote the words "romantic action-comedy" on your review I immediately thought of Romancing the Stone. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't remember it, but I'm not one of them ;).