Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I, too, felt disgusted when I saw the Smurfs trailer in front of Toy Story 3. I actually face-palmed after the trailer. What a dumb idea.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
It's called "Romancing the Stone"? Uh, I've watched it as a kid, but it was named (or translated) something like "Hunt for the Emerald". Or maybe that's another movie.

The Smurfs look awful. And THANK YOU, MBOB, I now finally understand why they aren't called "smurfs" in my country.

EDIT: Oh, and about Knight and Day, I realized how the film would be just by looking at the promotional images - there's TWO identical screencaps of Cruise aiming a gun off-camera intensely and Diaz cowering behind him and making a cute-scared-vulnerable-damsel-in-distress face. Isn't that a bit... 1995? You know, slightly misogynistic action-thriller from the bad Bond era?

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Romancing the Stone is apparently my mum's favourite movie. I still haven't seen it though, because our University media library bizarrely doesn't have it.

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
Big thanks for using the rankin-bass version of the hobbit picture. I was raised on that movie and it was awesome despite its many detractors who I will debate or fight to the death with if I encounter them.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
It's called "Romancing the Stone"? Uh, I've watched it as a kid, but it was named (or translated) something like "Hunt for the Emerald". Or maybe that's another movie.
Better then "Love, Emerald, and Crocodile".

Sprizmo

May 11, 2010
wildcard9 said:
Seth Green as a vigilante...I had to look up the Hornet to be honest...he was a bit obscure for me...

I don't like it. Unless Green can pull a Jack Black in the King Kong Remake and be more crazy than funny, it might work...But I honestly think Green is wrong for the material. You need stoic and serious with a little bit of humor, not the other way around.
Seth Rogen is the Hornet. Seth Rogen.

And Bob, I was disgusted with the smurfs trailer as well. This kind of movie could have been endearing if done by Anderson and his crew who pulled off the Fantastic Mr. Fox, but this is completely on the other end of the spectrum. My god... Hollywood needs to be trimmed of the fat.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Maybe maybe MAYBE! the trailer is just showing the smurfs in the New York as a kind of relatable demo in the same way that Stitch didn't actually crossover to other disney movies and the Raving Rabbids didn't do... those things they did in those promo spots.

Either way, I'm not gonna see it.

Jaynwyler! We lov your books!

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Danger Mouse would kick ass, if the BBC can get the budget together then I'd love to see it.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Hah if you thought this was bad look at the other animated films coming out. Another cats and dogs that will be almost guaranteed mediocre. Some lame action-hero about owls, owls of all the things to make a super cool action hero of its not owls. Then there's alpha and omega which looks like its going to be a corn fest combined with an obvious story. AND on top of all of this they are doing a repunzle movie called tangled or something like that. Really this is probably the worst string of animated films i have seen in a long time.

Antacid

Apr 10, 2010
I think MovieBob will somehow manage to forget his outrage at the Americanisation of all things Belgian when Speilburg's Tintin movie is released. Just sayin'.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
wait, WHAT? The Smurfs in NEW YORK? They have got to be kidding.

Yes, I am Belgian and disgusted.
And I myself am not even such a huge fan of the Smurfs (actually I liked watching The Gumi Bears more as well). But seriously now, what the hell.

Please, please, PLEASE don't let them mess up the Tintin movie (..or Kuifje, as we call him in the Flanders 8D )

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I'm 15 and I have seen Romancing the Stone, i was probably 12 or 11 when i saw it. :S
Also taking one or more cartoon figures and transport them to new york has to be one of the most unoriginal idea's ever?

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Great reviews, you went thought a lot in that vid!

I remember Romancing the Stone, but only because it inspired films like Indiana Jones and games like Broken Sword. It may have been a good movie, but when rip-offs do it better you tend to forget about the original. It's the opposite trend of Transformers, where things get progressively worse.

Btw, now that you've mentioned the whole 'Danger Mouse being a Texan CIA operative' you really think they WON'T make it? Don't say things like that if someone is listening!!! :p

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Poor poor Bob.
Yes we would be pissed at an american Danger Mouse.

And looking at the film lineup for the next few months, we really need to setup a beer fund for Bob, so he can get through them a little eaiser.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Seth Rogen, eh? Well, I'm glad Green Hornet isn't very important to me.
I share your offense about The Smurfs, though. Never cared much for them, but the colossal stupidity of this "updating" or whatever is really grating my cheese. I foresee some kind of hip-hop musical number.
Also, I nominate this video for the prestigious "Most Gratuitous Use Of The Word 'Belgium' In A Review" award.