Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
How Bob can complain about 'nothing' movies but rave about Splice which was the biggest nothing movie I've seen this year!

Badger01

May 20, 2009
The Smurf Movie: Biggest shameless cash in EVER!
also, if Michael Bay did make an american danger mouse film. he'd be fucking dead

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
*sigh* Hollywood...why? Just why? Why is it remaking or rebooting things has become so fucking important in the movie industry that will take literally ANYTHING? God, the Smurfs? Really? I...Jesus I don't even know what to say to that, it pisses me off too much.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
I'm sixteen and love Romancing the Stone. I need to rewatch it next to some attractive such and such. Not seen it for years.

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
Seriously don't even KID about Dangermouse being in the CIA! I mean the American film industry can go too far you know... Grrrrrr!

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Belgian here. Not looking forward to it at all. It just seems like a cash-in on a dead children's franchise, catering towards the student populace, mainly the girls.

It doesn't interest me at all, the premise of 'cartoon characters end up in the real world' combined with that other overly used trope of 'small guys in a big city'... though I find your point about it not being in Brussels quite a minor thing to rant on so much, a bit exaggerated, but really, you hit the nail on the head with the cameos and product placement.
5 bucks (or euros, they're worth more, harrr) says Gargamel (the villain from the cartoons) won't appear in the movie at all.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Unhappy Crow said:
I remember seeing the Smurfs trailers when I went to see Toy Story 3, and I'm curious to know how the movie will work. Smurfs in New York? Why? Also, how will Gargamel fit in this movie?

Side note: I didn't know the Smurfs were Belgium. And now I know. Thanks, Bob.
I'm very happy that he did his reseach. The Smurfs, or "Les Stroumpfs" was published in a weekly french comic magazine called "Spirou". The magazine itself is still going strong today. I know because I buy an issue from time to time.

Myphon69

Apr 7, 2010
Romancing the Stone is a damn good movie and it's sequel Jewel of the Nile wasn't bad either. Everything else is being blocked out by happy rays of static.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Smurf the smurfing Smurfs. Nobody smurfs about the Smurf movie, it's just a shameless cash-in that no one will go see and will backfire dramatically. The smurfing movie industry does this some times and you just have to smurf it right up the smurf sometimes.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet, I have only ever had one thought on this "...okaaaaaay."

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
I'm 20 and I remember Romancing the Stone, at least partially cuz of my father. And the reason people don't talk about it is because...well it's not all that relevant. Yeah, it's a solid piece of cinema, well made, well written, well paced, etc. All the pieces are there and they all came together well, to create a good movie.

But that's it. It didn't bring anything particularly unique to the table and it didn't try to do anything unique with what it did bring. It's a good movie, but it's not really worth talking about past that.

And side note, if Knight and Day was so...dull to talk about, why'd you review it? Why not...something else?

JRShield

Dec 9, 2009
dex-dex said:
3D versions of the smurfs look kind of creepy, I also did not know they were originally Belgium.
the more you know i guess.
Belgian, Belgium is the country...

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
I'm Canadian, from the only place you can found more French then English. So Belgium, France and a Tiny part of Canada, shared the same kid shows. In fact, it's harder to find a Marvel here then finding a ASTERIX THE GAUL in USA. That said, i watch the Smurfs, effectively call Schtroumpfs (s-tr-oum-f), from age 4 to 16. No joke, those characters that populars. I hate what I saw. This is the "USA IS THE SHIT" syndrome of the cinema. Anything that Hollywood produce has to be located inside the USA or if it a cataclysm, being in other country but have a bunch American as survivor and one guy from the country they are in. I'm sick and tired that hollywood take some stuff and put it in their country. As for i, I'm pissed enough to disrupt the film and even jump on the filmmaker. Can i do anything? No. The only that can is the guy that own the smurf... and he must be rolling in putrid hollywood bills.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The new "Green Hornet" movie seems to be insulting. I do not care for the idea of The Green Hornet being a bumbler where Kato is apparently going to be the real competant one. I mean while Kato was arguably the more dangerous of the two originally, they were both supposed to be competant... and really while I can see Seth Rogan as a bumbing hero this way, I don't think the whole thing works for this franchise.

So much for my visions of them doing such an awesome Green Hornet movie that fans demand another crossover with Batman so we can have them fight (even if the results on TV were disappointing). You, like me, are a sad, sad, nerd like me if you actually have first hand knowlege of what I'm talking about. :p

Otherwise, the Tom Cruise movie is apparently exactly what I expected going by this review, and when it comes to "The Smurfs"... well they seem to be systematically raping everything that was popular in the 1980s, so it was inevitable. This movie means that something else that I liked better is getting a reprieve.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.
Scooby Doo would've worked if they didn't dumb it down as much as they did. (Yes, we're talking about a mystery cartoon for eight year-olds here.)

Transformers I never liked, but I can see it working...

And for the record, no, Britain, or at least this one person in it, would NOT be p--sed if they made Danger Mouse a CIA spy. Now if you're talking Bananaman on the other hand...

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
I'm 18 and I remember Romancing the Stone, my grandfather had it on VHS and I watched it like ten times. I did forget about the whole movie and just remembered it now that 'twas mentioned.
Damn, I need to see this again.