Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Vinchucca

Nov 9, 2009
Yes I'm Belgian and watch your show (love it btw!). Am I bothered by this? Not really, didn't much care for the cartoons either and really didn't expect any film-producing company to have any respect for the cartoon's setting or story. It's just a quick cash-in to me. Also I do remember Romancing the Stone and it's sequel (Jewel of the Nile I think it was called?). First encouter I had so to speak with Danny Devito which turned out to be an actor I simply cannot hate despite the fact he more than deserves it sometimes for movies like Junior.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I want to see a street sharks (was that it?) film, because the cartoon was awful and so would the film.

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
SomeUnregPunk said:
dinoballz said:
Yes, I am from Belgium. But here right now are far bigger concerns, like getting a proper government (haven't exactly had one in years).
Personally, I watched that Smurfs cartoon when I was 5, couldn't care less what happens to it.
A film like this is doomed to fail, epicly.

Incidentally, and a nice cross-over between that other movie, Belgium is one of the few countries that is actively trying to halt Scientology, that is trying to be active here because the European Government is seated in Brussels.
Are you one of the european countries that took religion status away from Scientology?

and ..about the smurf thing... I may be wrong but from what I remember.. the smurfs were about some little blue men that some old dude wanted to catch and eat. He wanted to eat them so bad that he created a female smurf in the attempt to lead the males to him. ... o_O
No, Scientology never got it in the first place.
There are also criminal investigations going on about the organisation, read it on the wiki.

Funny story, a few days after this, I walked through Antwerp and saw a stand in the Main Street, people getting consultations and a table of L. Ron Hubbard books were there, but the name Scientology was nowhere to be seen! They're doing it without the name now :p

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
I did not know the Smurfs were Belgian. You learn something new everyday. I agree, how is putting them in New York a good idea. Maybe Gargamel is Donald Trump or something.....

hellswarmglow

Mar 12, 2010
Knight and Day looks exactly like a Cameron Diaz movie Tom Cruise accidentally found himself in, and I actually completely forgot about the Smurfs until this review. Now I'm simultaneously furious at both movies and curious as to how they plan to tie in Gargamel. Is he now a business tycoon of some sort? This way he can still keep Azrael the cat, though it would make him too close to The Claw from Inspector Gadget.

PS- Romancing the Stone was an amazing movie, and I am 25. The sequel was a bit "eh" though.

Evilproduct

Oct 25, 2009
Okay, i would like to see Knight & Day. it does look funny, even though it does have...Cameron Diaz...*shiver*

Smurfs? *Vomit*

That being said, MovieBob, yeah you. We've had our differences (Twilight mostly) but i would just like to say thank you for the recommendation of Magnolia in the end credits of this video. I just recently tracked down a copy of it and watched it and i would like to thank you sincerely for the recommendation. I never even heard of it before you mentioned it and now it is one of my favorite movies of all time. Thank you MovieBob.

MasterKirov

Nov 8, 2009
dex-dex said:
the more you know i guess.
And knowing is half the battle ^.^

But seriously Bob, if I could make a recommendation for a film that may interest you - Immersion might be more up your street.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
As a fellow film guy I approve of this review! Not that you wanted or needed my approval. And I hope the Belgians are pissed too!

Michster

Sep 16, 2009
Well Bob, I'm Belgian and yes I can't believed they actually put my childhood-heroes in Manhattan!
No really....wtf?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
What a dull movie. It was good, I guess, but nowhere near great. It did its job, but not particularly well. Some jokes were funny but most weren't. Average, standard, dull, another: words that describe this flick well.

I am liking Cameron Diaz less and less with each of her movies. I hope she does something very different very soon, like what Mo'nique did in Precious. Otherwise she is just going to fade away...

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
The Smurfs did make one positive contribution to society: the kiddies watching it were unwittingly exposed to a treasure trove of classical music. Seriously, if you have any musical acumen at all, go back and listen to the soundtrack behind the episodes. You'll hear Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Mendelssohn, Grieg, Mussorgsky... it's ridiculous how much classical music is in the show.

But yeah, dropping fantasy characters in Manhattan didn't work the first time either, when it was called Enchanted.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
BTW, about Lettuce... To me, lettuce tastes like leaves. ...That's the best description I can come up with.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
I am personally embarassed for everyone whenever I see the Smurfs trailer. Just... agh.

He makes a good point about taking a series that is based on a foriegn series and remaking it. IT's the saem reason I'm a little distressed that they're making a Robotech movie. It's something that has been retooled (in many cases, absolutely bastardized) for American audience... and then you're going to remake that.

It's just like reprocessing processed food, it just doesn't sit right with me.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I can only guess that the makers of the smurf film are deliberately trying to make it as bad as possible.

GODoftheRIGOVERSE

Jul 25, 2009
Well I am done If anybody wants me i'll be dropping a boom boom on Hollywood join meh if you want because i Just heard WB is doing a LIVE ACTION YOGI BEAR MOVIE X<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK8QNsW9Z5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H91rPIq2mN4

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Yeah, I'm Belgian. I don't really care what happens to the Smurfs 'cause well... to many people money is very pretty. They don't care if their beloved franchise gets destroyed.