Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Belgians are like Canadians, they won't be pissed.

Although mildly annoyed would do. I'm not Belgian, but I think the Smurfs are hardly national heritage there.

EDIT: Oh wait, disregard that and read the previous post. From about the word PISSED.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
AvsJoe said:
I'm 22. I'm aware of Romancing the Stone and my parents own it on VHS (it's "their movie", similar to "their song"). I still have never seen it, though I want to. That's far more than I can say for the Smurfs movie.
YOU AGAIN
stop stalking the threads and comments pages im about to view
RtS? the only place i know it from is that family guy episode

turn "watch knight and day" into "night and day watch"
much better

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
I got worked over how in Constantine there was barely any real trace of John Constantine, as he was played by a no accent, no emotion actor, Keanu Reeves. Now, Keanu is cool with me, but if that much got me pissed at him and the movie, then this smurfs thing will be horrible. Movies hat feed off pop culture references always end up bad.

heartkys13

May 21, 2009
For those that are interested The Green Hornet does have a trailer up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btZIK3Obpg

the movie basically just looks like seth pretending to be batman, with a random asian guy who seems to do everything, while still being the seth rogan from pineapple express =\
so yeah

Roscoe_A

Aug 6, 2009
Don't worry Bob I knew about Romancing The Stone since I was 10 and I'm only 19. That movie has not gone unnoticed.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Two more movies I could probably care less about. Good to hear Bob agreeing with my sentiments!

I'd like to see a review on Karate Kid, but it's probably been out too long for Bob to do a review on it.

flightofeternity

Dinosaur hunter
Apr 19, 2010
The moment I learned that Seth Rogen would star I immediately paused the clip and thought, well it looks like this is going the mindless fun of Iron Man as opposed to the Serious take of the Dark Knight.

I'm still arguing with myself over whether or not superhero movies should remain being fun filled pg-13 movies or take the much more serious R rated approach like Watchmen or the Dark Knight did. While the dark and edgy route has worked masterfully before I don't think it will work with every hero or character. For example one of the reasons people say Robin wont appear in Batman 3 is because as a character he won't work in that type of style (I highly doubt this, people also thought it wouldn't work for Batman either)
But can you really imagine the next Spiderman reboot starring Spidey fighting an ultra violent Psychopathic Lizard. Whether or not that would be a good idea, I highly doubt that everyone would be content with it.

You're thoughts Bob? ^_^

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I didn't even know they were making a Smurfs movie until now. I also didn't know the Smurfs were originally Belgian.

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
So the moral of the first part of the interview is that movie critics don't actually accurately portray what the general public feels?

In other news, the sky is blue.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i was already prepared not to care about smurfs. like even before the trailer. Like mid 2008 when rumors got leaked i was like "okay this could be good if they do it right. But seeing as gargamel never really planned ahead and smurfs never really had any kind of conflict it will be hard." then i saw the trailer.

How many people did the yahtzee clairvoiance and paused it on the first screen shot of the new york coast and said "smurfs will be magically transporterd to new york with gargamel and will spend the rest of the movie over coming culture shock and and an evil guy who wants to parade them as some sort of exhibit in order to get home." because we all know thats what it will amount to. in fact i'm gonna go out on a limb and say gargamel and the smurfs will work together at the end.

honestly i was looking forward to movie bob really thrashing this but there isn't alot to thrash yet so yeah. at least i learned something.(didn't know the smurfs were belgian)

knight and day, yes lettuce is the perfect term for this.

seth rogan as green hornet... Ryan Reynolds is the green latern... supposedly... to all i say eh.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
heartkys13 said:
For those that are interested The Green Hornet does have a trailer up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btZIK3Obpg
January? January?!?! [HEADING=2]Nooooooo![/HEADING] January is only for the shit studio films! It's the "GARBAGE DAY!" of movies.

Waaah! The Green Hornet is gonna suck!
The Cheezy One said:
AvsJoe said:
I'm 22. I'm aware of Romancing the Stone and my parents own it on VHS (it's "their movie", similar to "their song"). I still have never seen it, though I want to. That's far more than I can say for the Smurfs movie.
YOU AGAIN
stop stalking the threads and comments pages im about to view
But it's fun!

t3hmaniac

Mar 22, 2010
You know what? If they did Americanize "Danger Mouse" Someone is going to go on a rampage in hollywood with a cricket bat and spray scalding hot tea over the main director's face and other sensitive areas of the body.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Dear sweet zombie Jesus the smurf trailer filled me with rage indescribable, and the source of that rage was the hip hop remix of the theme song they play at the end...no wait actually its just the whole damn thing.

I think Disney may have a hand in this monstrosity since they sell the smurf merchandise in Epcot's Germany wing of countries.

I won't lie, I watched my fair share of smurfs growing up and I'm certainly no die-hard fan of it today. I just can't help but be filled with the fury at how blatant an exploitation film this is going to be. (then again I already expected any attempt at a smurfs movie would suck no matter what and just prayed such a thing would never occur)

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
........ ok I dont have Cable so this is the first I've ever heard of the Smurf movie. I'd go into a big nerd rages except I just feel sorry for it.
I personally think the hole "Hollywood is running out of ideas," thats bull shit the only thing that've run out or is cheep ideas.

here's an Idea, if there running out of Ideas then why are they blowing though there reserve's like toilet paper, shouldn't they use they's Ideas sparingly and maybe put in some time with it. Another Idea is to just use the premise, so instead of the Smurfs make a movie like the smurfs but .... and after that then make the smurf's but this time you know what will work.

kirkenseth

Oct 4, 2009
smurfs are part of my childhood as a french speaking resident of this world... both in the shtroumpf comic(ou in french is an english U) and shtroumpf tv show. i was so exited when i heard that all the interesting characters of the comic were comming to the movie like johan and peewit, a knight and his squire, i thought they were staying true to the comics.

but what the hell is going on?!?!? this is a disgrace to peyo and to BD

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Knight and Day: not surprised, really. I like the leads (as actors, anyway. Usually.) but slight variations on that particular premise have been done to death. It may be that the quiet hook of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" was actually that both characters were competent from the get-go. One can only watch so many "OmygoshIcantbelievethisisHAPPENING?!?!?!" reaction-shots before one wants to say, "Look, you're in a frickin' action movie. Get over it already."

Smurfs: but hey, at least the reviews should be amusing. "This movie jumps the smurf." "No one should be bothered to give a smurf." "The geniuses behind this should go take a flying smurf off of a smurf."

Green Hornet: You see what happens when you rag on Batman for being too dark and moody? You see?!

Okay, kidding aside, my big question is if they'll actually let Rogen eventually settle into the role and be competent and interesting. I know GH playing second-banana to his own second-banana is a big part of the franchise, but what I really want to know is if they can make the Hornet himself interesting to watch, rather than just another jokey Rogen dope.

LunarTick

Mar 1, 2010
Gah! I just looked up the trailer. Horrible!
Incidentally, The Smurfs was originally a comic, not a cartoon. Not even a bad one (well, the first books anyway). The comic was a spin-off (in a time spin-off did not yet exist) of "Johan et Pirlouit", wich featured the adventures of a squire and his friend (a dwarven bard). Those comics, man. They were good. With chivalry, sorcerers, magic flutes, the occasional giant, but above all things: adventure.
At first (in the "Johan et Pirlouit" comics), the smurfs were located in a grim, morose and dead land. With ashen grey earth and dead stone trees. Ruled over by an evil man and his fire-breathing dragon. Imagine if they made that into a movie.
I'm not Belgian, but Dutch and those comics were a great part of my youth. So yeah, I'm pretty pissed.

Also, I'm just under 25 and I too have seen Romancing the Stone. A long time ago, though.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
dex-dex said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Sorry about the just so standard movie it is almost an achievement (but wasn't) you had to review, and the fact you had to fill the time with talking about the SMURFS MOVIE.

Are we really that desperate to revive old 80's cartoons into movies that we have to dig out the SMURFS? Really? Wasn't Scooby Doo, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chimpmucks any idication that they aren't a good idea. Wait, nevermind, no matter the stupid reason, those movies somehow made embarressing amounts of money.
but soon they will be screwing with 90's cartoons so just let them get through all the 80's cartoons
(but scooby-doo was originally made in the 60's )
They are runing out of ideas so they are taking from the past and just spiting on people's child hood favourites like the teenage mutant ninja turtles that MICHAEL BAY is directing. grrrrrr rage.
NO! NOT A MICHEL BAY MOVIE ABOUT ANIMANIACS! PLEASE SAY IT ISN'T SO!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I've got to say, I'm giving Smurfs a chance for two reason. The more I see of it the more convinced I am that it is not really a kids movie. They haven't been on TV since us mid-20's folk were kids, there's no reason to sell it to children. They've also been abusing some of the jokes like using "smurf" when a word can't be said. I fully expect to hear the phrase "Shut the smurf up!" at some point, or just something like "Surf the smurf over to the smurf, and make sure you smurf it good."

Reason number two: Johnathan Winters. Johnathan Fucking Winters. I'll be renting this movie just for his cut content/outtakes.

t3hmaniac said:
You know what? If they did Americanize "Danger Mouse" Someone is going to go on a rampage in hollywood with a cricket bat and spray scalding hot tea over the main director's face and other sensitive areas of the body.
Yeah, someone by the name of Edgar Wright