Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
On Seth Rogen:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously. I hate Seth Rogen, ever since he first burst onto the scene.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I would be annoyed by the Americans, but why should I be surprised? I mean, America does that with everything. I'm going to use the example of another Tom Cruise film, War of the Worlds. It was created by the British and the story takes place in London, but when the movie adaptation came, it all came over to America.

You can't exactly blame them though, they'll probably get a lot more money if they set it in new york, as in the movie stated above. Considering their primary objective is not to make something interesting, but to create something that sells, then I don't see any reason for them to go beyond the norm.

Feb 13, 2008
[HEADING=1]Attention Hollywood[/HEADING]

You even THINK about touching Cosgrove Hall and I'll burn down your cinemas one by one until I'm spinning around in a pile of bloodied exec. corpses.

And then I'll get mad.

That being said, Green Hornet might be ok.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
Cautiously optimistic about the Green Hornet. It looks like they're borrowing some elements from the Iron Man films and going for a more comical approach, which could result in something like Mystery Men, or something like The Spirit if they're not careful.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, this is what you do with picturesque cartoons about peaceful little blue munchkins that life at one with nature; set it in New York.

Who do they have coming up with these movie ideas?...Awesom-O?

Jackel86

May 3, 2008
#1: Magnolia is an absolutely fantastic movie, and the acting is top-notch from everybody in it.

#2: Seth Rogen as Green Hornet... I'm not a fan of Seth Rogen in particular. He's alright, but the trailer has me (as Tycho would say) "cautiously optimistic."

DarthNicky2

Jun 17, 2010
I'm 14 and aware of Romancin the Stone, but anyway... The Smurfs looks life crap! The only reason why I wanted to see it was because Quentin Tarantino played Brainy Smurf, but they took him out of the project. Now The Smurfs has turned into lettuce.

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
As a Belgian-Australian, I'm pretty mad that they took the Smurfs and put them in New York, considering they lived in a completely different world. Considering everyone accepts Shrek being in a mythical fantasy land of makebelieve, couldn't they do the same for the CGI Smurfs?

Next they'll have Asterix roaming around Los Angeles and talking to his Chief viking on Skype.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
I'm getting pissed at these full page ads and 30 second goddamn slim jim pieces of crap.
Spite and day...hah..

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
bob could have made an episode ybout why certain movies are released at certain dates (not releasing could movies right now being related to the world cup).
Oh and its "belgian" as an adjective

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
While you briefly touched on this during the credits of a previous episode, I know many here would love to see a rant over Michael Bay's take on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... now this is going to be a vent.

Or at least we'll have to wait until it's made, if you're still reviewing by then naturally.

william12123

Oct 22, 2008
I'm not belgian, but I am a huge fan of franco-belgian comic books (bandes dessinées or BD) and I've got to say that I am pissed. Peyo built a relatively large world, and the smurfs were even originaly introduced in a swords and dragons fantasy called Johan and Pirlouit. Whoever gave american producers control of this creative content is just disrespectful to the quality of Peyo's work.
I guess this is just another instance of 80's nostalgia, that has led to all the recent remakes of old kid's shows. Yuck.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Why would they make a Smurfs movie? I don't remember the Smurfs being anything too spectacular, and like Bob said at least there were dragons and Gargamel wizarding it up to make it interesting. But furthermore, why New York City? Did we suddenly get transported to the Marvel Universe where the only signifigant American cities are New York City, Los Angeles and Washington D.C.? I mean, there are other large cities besides the Big Apple, L.A. and W-D-C. I'll spare you the details, suffice it to say one of five things movies can do to make me hate them is take place solely in New York City.

Anyway, Seth Rogan as the new Green Hornet. I don't know anything about the old Green Hornet, and I don't know that much about Rogan, so I'll just say I'm open to the interpretation, but Rogan, you better not fuck this up.

(The five things that make me hate a movie: Too Much Exposition, Michael Bay, New York City, Desecrating Something I Like (video game movies, example) and Talking Down To The Viewers.)

Fluga

Jan 10, 2008
TBH, I was hoping Bob would have done Grown Ups because I really don't care about Knight and Day at all.

Oh yeah, Rogen as the Green Hornet? Awesome.

As for the Smurfs...ehhhhhhhhhh yeah.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
ProtoChimp said:
WTF is the green hornet? Also
[HEADING=1]FUCKING SMURF'D! ARE YOU MOTHER FUCKING KIDDING ME![/HEADING] They are making another one of those God-fucking-awful movies where they put a fantasy character(s) in reality, which would be fine if they weren't kids things permanantly set in another reality and only leave them for the sake of a bad live action film, like the mario movie and the various other shit that I can't remember since I blocked those hideous movies out by playing hours upon hours of Prototype. This is a movie that was practically made FOR THE NOSTALGIA CRITIC!

FUUUUUCK YOU MOVIE...
agreed ...I'm not looking forward to yet another americanization of a piece of my childhood (plus I'm almost sure ALL the French voices (it's from the Francophone side of Belgium) won't sound even CLOSE to what I remember(my mother tongue is French btw))

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I almost thought you were going to make a Day & Night reference, aka a reference to the brilliant animated short before Toy Story 3. Whatever.

When I first saw the Smurfs trailer, I thought "Oh GOD is THIS going to be stupid!" And It looks like I'm right. But after hearing that they're actually from Belgium? That really DOES just makes things worse!

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Well I'm 19 and I remember Romance in the Stone... I watched as a kid. Also I watched Smurfs a lot as a child... Never really that into it but well, passed the time while I was getting ready for School. However having seen the trailer... Some one will die... YOU DESTROYED MY NOSTALGIA MOTHER FUCKER!!!.

Sorry about that. This most be what it's like for Moviebob when watching Transformers. See I never really got all that much into transformers as a child... Watched it every now and again but I didn't have cable as a child. Transformers wasn't shown on standard British T.V all that often. So Transformers wasn't a large part of my child hood and my nostalgia wasn't destroyed by Michael Bay because I was never into it to begin with. The however... I used to watch every morning... I didn't love the program and it wasn't on my best list. However I still have fond memories of it and it was a big part of my childhood. Then some big media exec looking to grab money out of the success of the Chipmunk movies decides to film it live action in New York. What a Prick.

The worst part about all of this is that... I... Have... To... Watch it. My Niece will want to go see it, her Father will be too busy to take her... Then I have to do it and sit through this shit. I had to do this with both Alvin movies which felt like Bamboo torture. Made my Niece happy but I wanted to kill the theatre... KIDS!!!.

Yes Bob if they decide to make Danger Mouse into an American CIA agent... I will go fucking nuts. Danger Mouse is a British detective voiced by David Jason... Please keep it that way you evil media execs. Speaking of which, Horrid Henry is going to be made into a movie. I dread this is also going to be Americanised. We can't have anything sacred can we. Anything we produce or create has to be Americanised.

Also on the subject of Knight and Day... There's a remarkably similar movie out named Killers... I would recommend staying away from it if I was you. That's if you've not had to suffer that horrid tripe.

pfloriani

Jul 24, 2009
Zenron said:
I would be annoyed by the Americans, but why should I be surprised? I mean, America does that with everything. I'm going to use the example of another Tom Cruise film, War of the Worlds. It was created by the British and the story takes place in London, but when the movie adaptation came, it all came over to America.
To be fair, the U.S. hijacked that one a long time ago [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_%28radio%29].