Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm seventeen, and I remember watching Romancing the Stone. Best part is when they get high in the plane in the jungle.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Tom Cruise's performance in Magnolia was amazing. Most of the actor's performances were. The Deux Ex Machinia at the end of Magnolia, however, took what may have been the best movie I ever saw and made it one of the worst movies I've ever seen ever.

What's that bit Yatzee said, "don't expect a good story to stay good."

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Wonderful a smurf movie does that mean i will be treated to the lalalala song on tv soon oh joy.

And to whoever said something about making Animaniacs a movie SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH quiet dont give them ideas.

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
It's getting somewhat irritating how highly you seem to regard yourself due to being a film critic. It's just a job, you know, like any other.

And daybreakers was neither good nor special. Subjectivity hurts, eh?

RestamSalucard

Feb 26, 2010
(Insert name hear) said:
I knew that the Smurfs were not from America... I must say though, there is a darker evil out there, waiting to strike.....

Yogi Bear!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Bear_(film)

Also Justin Timberlake as Boo Boo.
No, they would cast Shia LaBitch.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
As a Belgian and as someones who has known comics like The Smurfs and TinTin for as long as I can remember, and thus has grown up with them, I find myself divided on what to think about this Smurfs movie. On one hand I feel somewhat appalled at a part of my childhood being massacred, on the other hand all the crappy nostalgia-cash-ins have jaded me to the point my expectations of The Smurfs actually being good AND faithful to its source material have become nonexistent.

Also, I was completely unaware about the movie's existence until now. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere in Belgium either and a quick google search for it didn't turn out a lot of Belgian pages.
RebelRising said:
If it's any comfort, hopefully Tintin will be set in either native Belgium or England. They both work because, honestly, the comics were really vague about where the gang lived.
The original versions in Dutch/French of Tintin comics specifically mention Tintin being from Brussels. Captain Haddock's castle Marlinspike Hall is called Moulinsart in the original, which is a reference to Sart-Moulin, a village near Brussels. There are other clues too, though some might not be noticeable to someone who isn't from Belgium. Maybe that aspect was changed for translations, but I'm pretty sure Tintin comics take place in Belgium (except those that specifically mention taking place in another country of course).

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Breathe Bob, breathe.

And hey at least you didn't have to review that OTHER movie with Ashton Kutcher and whatshername from Grey's Anatomy. Cause you know, that one looked terrible instead of just meh. But it probably would've given you more to talk about.

Also, the Smurfs? That just looks...wrong...

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
jcm0791 said:
MaraJade03 said:
not caring for Green Hornet, I rather wait for the other green superhero.... Green Arrow!!
Or the Green Lantern....
or green meeni

also why does everything have to be set in Newyork what about some place else? as long as its not

-California *no offense been done*
-New York
-Miami

places It could be
-Chicago
-Alaska
-Texas
-any other place that hasn't been mentioned

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
If you thought Night and Day was too boring to properly review and Jonah Hexx was terrible in a fascinating way then why didn't you just review Jonah Hexx?

(Insert name hear)

Jan 22, 2009
RestamSalucard said:
(Insert name hear) said:
I knew that the Smurfs were not from America... I must say though, there is a darker evil out there, waiting to strike.....

Yogi Bear!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Bear_(film)

Also Justin Timberlake as Boo Boo.
No, they would cast Shia LaBitch.
I wish. (Read the article)

mobsterlobster

Sep 13, 2009
If Hollywood so much as touches Danger Mouse, I'll personally nuke the damn place. It's a good job I'm not Belgian.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Romancing the Stone - Nope never heard about it

Knight and Day - Didn't have any plan to see it in the first place - particularly not now.

Smurfs - Always hated them, particularly due to the children's CD that my younger cousins have sometimes listened to when I'm on visit.

Siffit

Apr 4, 2009
Again with the Daybreakers movie. Watch it again, Bob. Seriously! Even though its different... IT SUCKS.

TazTheTerrible

Feb 20, 2010
Belgian here. Yes, yes we are pissed off. I mean, putting the smurfs (yes you said it wrong, but we forgive you because you at least looked it up) in a modern setting is bad enough, but fucking New York of all places? That falls under hanging offense.

Mind you the modern day setting alone does that. Fuck that movie.

nitat

Apr 10, 2010
dinoballz said:
Yes, I am from Belgium. But here right now are far bigger concerns, like getting a proper government (haven't exactly had one in years).
Personally, I watched that Smurfs cartoon when I was 5, couldn't care less what happens to it.
A film like this is doomed to fail, epicly.
I got ninja'd....

Meh, save me the trouble of typing it.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Why bother with movies like this that you KNOW are going to be crap? Review some indie film or something instead!

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Krunkcity3000 said:
About Seth as the Green Hornet. Who cares? The only memorable thing about the show was Bruce Lee.
They could make a Green Hornet movie without Green Hornet, just Kato, and nobody would notice.