Escape to the Movies: Knight and Day ... also Smurfs

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I thought the 3D smurfs looked kind of adorable.

But the movie is still going to be like pissing lighter fluid to put out a napalm hot-foot to watch, I reckon...

Also, I too remember Romancing the Stone.

BlackKraken

Apr 4, 2009
The smurfs thing annoys me for the same old reason a lot of movies do, its in New York.

Listen hear Hollywood, THERE ARE MORE PLACES IN THE WORLD THAN NEW YORK OR LOS ANGELES.

There are locations approximately a trillion times better than New York, why not use them for once?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I always thought the smurfs came from France but Belgium fits too since it has Flemish speaking and French speaking parts

destiaer

Jun 26, 2010
I am terrified at where the Smurf movie is going...hopefully that new Mortal Kombat Rebirth might get picked up by a company soon, since the Smurfs are getting the hollywood treatment. Seriously, have you guys seen this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4WKGweLeeY&feature=related

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
18 years old and I know Romancing the Stone. I know the sequel better though think the name was Romancing the Nile

Spaghettihoes

Jun 27, 2010
Grrrr I tell you. I'm from Belgium and yes this movie pisses me off. Not that I really loved the smurfs when I was young. But it's just that America seems to have this urge to colonize Everything. Leave our smurfs in peace will you? Or we will send our full army! All five men! And our catapult!

And by the way: stroumpf, which is pronounced [stroempf]and is the French word for smurf, actually means sock in englisch.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Smurfs,Green Hornet, really? So many old thinking coming back to life. It's like zombies and peoples reactions. First confusion and general curiosity, but quickly spiraling to fear and fleeing to the hills (often times too late).

Belgium

Jun 27, 2010
Why no belgian will give a fuck,

It's hard to explain things from a belgian prespective because there's no frame of reference. Belgium has no real international identity, not even a stereotype. Sure whe're sandwiched between Thea drinking defenders, efficient beer inhaling dominators, cheese eating surrender monkeys and potsmoking surrender monkeys, but we have no real importance beyond our borders. Brussels being the EU capital is mostly geographical.
Why? Because belgium is very layed back and unambitous. America's stereotype to us is like a 5 year old screaming for attention.

So go ahead, rape some cultural heritage for a quick buck you silly ammericans, hell that's all you seem to do anymore anyway.

Also, this film is (clearly) for an american audience, americans identify with new-york so it's a logical choice as scenery. Having those CGI retards running around in Brussels would be the real insult, and whe're proud of a stone, full monty 5 year old, constantly pissing, so the bar isn't set high.

sincerely, BELGIUM

striker121

Apr 28, 2010
Haha, 16 here and Romancing the Stones is still one of my favorite movies! Always thought it came out in 2000 or so, but guess I was wrong. Great movie though.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
JRShield said:
dex-dex said:
3D versions of the smurfs look kind of creepy, I also did not know they were originally Belgium.
the more you know i guess.
Belgian, Belgium is the country...
Well then, thanks for the correction.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
dinoballz said:
Yes, I am from Belgium. But here right now are far bigger concerns, like getting a proper government (haven't exactly had one in years).
Personally, I watched that Smurfs cartoon when I was 5, couldn't care less what happens to it.
A film like this is doomed to fail, epicly.

Incidentally, and a nice cross-over between that other movie, Belgium is one of the few countries that is actively trying to halt Scientology, that is trying to be active here because the European Government is seated in Brussels.
Are you one of the european countries that took religion status away from Scientology?

and ..about the smurf thing... I may be wrong but from what I remember.. the smurfs were about some little blue men that some old dude wanted to catch and eat. He wanted to eat them so bad that he created a female smurf in the attempt to lead the males to him. ... o_O

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Haha, another Belgian here. I read the smurfs religiously when I was a kid so fuck yeah, it does piss me off. I know it´s not as cool to have had papa smurf, tintin and lucly luke as childhood heroes when everyone else was reading Batman, but hey. At least I was a calm kid.

NinjaTigerXIII

Apr 21, 2010
Why in the hell would they want to make a Smurf's movie in New York? That's like making a Dragon Ball Movie where Goku is in high school.......wait a minute....

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I'm 16 and I've seen both Romancing the Stone and Jewell of the Nile.

And I thought the smurfs were french...

AeroEngine

Jun 28, 2010
Pissed of Belgian here :p

No but really, nobody around here gives a fuck about the smurfs.
Go ahead hollywood, make the worst movie ever, you won't destroy my childhood fantasies