Escape to the Movies: Lawless

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I agree with you about Michael Shannon Bob. One of the things that I am looking forward to in Man of Steel is his portrayed cif Zod because I thought he was amazing in Revolutionary Road.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Uhm, no Bob, Jersey Shore is the show I use to feel better about other people BY watching it.

Also I haven't heard anything to persuade me to watch this movie beyond a few members of it's cast yet.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Haven't really heard about this movie before now. Guess I'll give it a shot.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Huh, the Shore is cancelled eh? I've got an idea for a new show. It's called "Eastwood Tides" and it's about an 82 year-old respected icon of film-making meandering around his home shouting at his empty couch.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Jersey Shore may be cancelled, but the rest of reality TV is still there. My superiority complex is just fine.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Just to be part of the chorus:

NO NO NO NO NO!

Bret Ratner cannot be allowed to make any more comic book movies. EVER!
It gets worse. Much worse.

McG is also on the shortlist to direct JLA...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Diane Miller said:
The Justice League. Am I the only one who thinks it's too early for this? Not every studio has to follow the path Marvel did in leading up to the Avengers, but it would be nice if DC tried it. They might at least learn to make decent movies about someone besides Batman.
Well they have Superman coming, they would have to remake Batman, make a Wonder Woman movie, make a Martian Manhunter movie, make an Aquaman movie, and make a Flash movie, and pull a Hulk on the Green Lantern in order to follow Marvels path, which will take years to complete. What they could do however is reverse Marvel, make a Justice League movie and then release all of the others as "prequels"
That would take, at least, 2 or 3 years, and too much risk spread into too many productions. Not to mention they would grow anxious about it, and Avengers 2 (not to mention a lot of the proper sequels to each hero) will be out by then.
Also, the prequels idea makes some business sense since it cuts the middleman, but it misses the whole point of why The Avengers movie was so great: because we get to see characters that each had their own adventures make a crossover and still look like the same characters. We didn't even need an origin story because the movie assumed people has seen the other movies and knew the characters and actors. If they don't release movies for most of the characters and they don't make an effort for the audience to associate the actors with the roles, they could just call it Superman & Batman, and their super friends.
In other words, there are worst problems with the prospect of the movie than Brett Ratner being involved. Of course, he is also a mercenary director, so its not a surprise that he is considered here. Expect a lot of executive meddling if this gets green lighted.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Blueruler182 said:
Jersey Shore may be cancelled, but the rest of reality TV is still there. My superiority complex is just fine.
As long as MTV keeps their current course, I can always indulge my superiority complex by pointing and saying "pretty much all this..."

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
It shouldn't be hard to find another show to feel superior about not watching, there are plenty of shitty shows to choose from.
I just don't watch TV at all. Too much Internet to browse, games to play, and oh yeah, work and school to attend to.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
It shouldn't be hard to find another show to feel superior about not watching, there are plenty of shitty shows to choose from.
Well, yes, there are plenty of shitty shows one could easily dislike, but Jersey Shore was kinda special to satisfactory dislike, because in my opinion, it represented what many of us are completely against, like human stupidity and... human stupidity (in a dislikable and non funny way) and we felt great by saying "pfff, you watch that shit?, I don't watch that shit".

Killing_Time

Mar 7, 2009
Lawless looks interesting, but I have no interest in watching it thanks to what seems to be a very unlikable lead cast. Can't stand Shia, disliked every role Hardy's played so far (including Bane which I'm sure I'm probably alone in my opinion) and I Clarke is a B-List actor at best. The only thing that looks good is the role of Guy Pearce, but it just makes it more frustrating when you're rooting for the bad guy and you know he's gonna lose. They could have made this movie a lot better, had there been better casting, but as it stands it's a completely skippable end of summer flick that happens to star Bane in a lead roll.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well, yes, there are plenty of shitty shows one could easily dislike, but Jersey Shore was kinda special to satisfactory dislike, because in my opinion, it represented what many of us are completely against, like human stupidity and... human stupidity (in a dislikable and non funny way) and we felt great by saying "pfff, you watch that shit?, I don't watch that shit".
Oh I knew that and yeah I still say there are plenty of shitty shows you can feel superior for not watching for that reason.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Thanks for the review, Bob. Lawless looks pretty good, but I'm not too much of a fan of hicks, so I'll keep this on my "rent" list.

Also, if there's going to be a Justice League movie, there needs to be a movie about all of the original JLA members, or at least a long enough part in the set up of the League to address them and why they need to be included in the team. Though, I don't feel they'd need a whole movie for the Martian Manhunter or Aquaman; they might get away with how it was done in the 2000's JLA cartoon. That approach might make it easier to introduce some characters and make the story flow easier.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Not sure where he pulled the "close to a decade" comment from as bays first tf film came out in 2007 which was only 6 years ago. Guess it just feels way longer.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
I have to say this. Shia LeBeouf was never a potentially good actor before all that stuff happened. He did Disturbia. That is all (besides a bunch bit parts and Disney crap), and honestly I never got what people even saw in that role. Yet let's give him credit for that. Then he did Transformers (awful), Indiana Jones (beyond awful), Eagle Eye (awful), Transformers again (more awful), Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (made me want to jab knives in my eyes and ears), and now this (which I have not seen, so I can't comment yet). He is to acting what boy bands are to music. Something completely fabricated, with little or no real talent, forced on us by the powers that be and appeals to the lowest common denominator. Maybe that is not his fault and he actually has some talent I have not seen, but I have yet to find an actor that keeps getting big roles that makes me cringe at his "acting" as much as him.

IMO Shia LaBeouf has personified much of what is wrong in Hollywood. Mind you, it's not his fault. Yet he still is the poster boy of the terrible things going on in Hollywood right now.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
My only curiosity is he didn't say anything about Gary Oldman. Was his part just not large enough to talk about, or are we at the point where his portrayals are so constantly outstanding that we don't need to mention it anymore?

I'm okay with both, actually.

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
No one is going to bring up The Proposition? Seriously, anything involving Hillcoat should inevitably begin with a pronouncement of how incredible that movie is.

Viking67

May 24, 2011
Thespian said:
Uhm, no Bob, Jersey Shore is the show I use to feel better about other people BY watching it.
This. Maybe it's just that I hang around with people that aren't complete morons, but for all its supposed popularity I haven't met a single person that watches Jersey Shore for any other reason than to go "Haha! Look at these idiots!"