Escape to the Movies: Life of Pi

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
I really liked the book, and although it's close to eight years since I read it, I still clearly remember my mind doing a double take so hard that I somersaulted at the "reimagining" at the end.

I don't remember the book being out to convert anyone to anything, just a boy in an increasingly awful situation.

Fuckin' tiger in his boat. Bad place to be.

Katya Topolkaraeva

Dec 9, 2010
I read the Life of Pi a few years ago when it first came out and don't remember Pi being that annoying, but do remember it being a bit "pretentious" in a similar way as Bob describes. I really enjoyed that review btw (have not seen movie) so way to go Bob!

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
snd_dsgnr said:
If one believes the Bible to be a true account, this is simply not accurate.
The Bible. That was written by MAN. That has also had numerous rewrites and edits throughout history.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
So, theism: A strict set of rules where one must pray and worship one's god and follow the strict rules of this being including what you can and can't eat, what you can and can't do, where and when you can and can't do it where the slightest bit of disregard for any of these will lead to eternal damnation and has been the cause of so many wars and deaths.

Atheism: Try not to be too much of a dick.

Yes, Pi, believing sounds like so much fucking fun! Honestly, why do people need such petty reasons and reassurances that their life might be important. You're unimportant on a global scale, as am I. Is it not enough to be important to the people around you?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
04whim said:
So, theism: A strict set of rules where one must pray and worship one's god and follow the strict rules of this being including what you can and can't eat, what you can and can't do, where and when you can and can't do it where the slightest bit of disregard for any of these will lead to eternal damnation and has been the cause of so many wars and deaths.

Atheism: Try not to be too much of a dick.

Yes, Pi, believing sounds like so much fucking fun! Honestly, why do people need such petty reasons and reassurances that their life might be important. You're unimportant on a global scale, as am I. Is it not enough to be important to the people around you?
Y'know, if you read the book or watched the movie (maybe; for all I know, the movie fucked everything up), you'd have an answer.

The answer is that none of what you said is relevant.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
I don't watch movies telling me to be religious due to my own religious views. I won't say what they are on this site for the reason that I feel this isn't the place for it but I will say I won't change my views for some type of " entertainment ".

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Wesley Brannock said:
I don't watch movies telling me to be religious due to my own religious views. I won't say what they are on this site for the reason that I feel this isn't the place for it but I will say I won't change my views for some type of " entertainment ".
It can be worth exposing yourself to different views, if just to test your own convictions or to understand the opposition, so you can fight it. (Which is why I sometimes read racist/anti-gay/religious stuff.)

It's not very entertaining, though, if it's smug or just preaching.

But even if a character holds some views, it doesn't mean the work is trying to push those views. More I think about this, the more its message seem anti-religious to me.
At the very least, it's the observation that people prefer a comfortable lie to a gruel truth, which I can agree with.

pearcinator said:
Also, Atheists are going to go to town on this...they get more riled up on this stuff than they should. Atheists take the bible more literally than Christians do (well definitely more than I do and I am a Christian). To me the Bible is just a collection of stories about morals (good and bad and all that shit).
But the problem is that a lot of Christians do take their holy book literally. Or claim to. Usually they kinda cherrypick things to support their views and haven't even read the whole book.

I try not to assume all Christians are the same, though.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Ignoring the whole religion debate going on here - the film sounds a lot like Amelie. I like Amelie. While that kind of sugary whimsism can get a bit sickening, I can be a nice in small doses. Me and my girlfriend are going to the cimema for her birthday, I think this sort of film could be cool to see with her.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
While I kind of agree with the assessment as a whole, I couldn't help but feeling that MovieBob got into a bit of a personal vendetta over the purported message of the story. Allow me to reiterate: fanatic atheists are just as bad as fanatic other-religious-people.

There's also the other problem: THE STORY DOES NOT RECOMMEND RELIGION!

Ultimately, you could also turn the morale around: i.e. "People tend to turn away from reality because religion if more convenient" - where does the reading a recommendation for religion into it part come in? The original book was very ambiguous over what it actually WANTED you to think, and so, for all I have heard, is the film.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, it's all good and well to live a Life of Lie, so long as there's no practical difference to one of truth, and nobody gets harmed, oppressed, or discriminated because of it.

Guess that latter part of the analogy doesn't in the least carry over to religion.

ItemCrisis

Sep 17, 2012
The same reason MovieBob doesn't like this movie is the very same reason I put down the book it is based on two years ago.

Mar 26, 2008
Now this was a review with the spoiler section done right! Although the silent images of flashing pies did make me hungry while I waited for the text to tell me to unmute.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
MovieBob is doing a huge disservice to the movie. The religious message isn't heavy handed at all. The quirkiness complaint was down right retarded. I don't know about you but if I was on ship and their was a huge thunder storm outside, I would want to see it. It also helps the movie because it creates a lighthearted tone that gradually gets torn apart as the movie goes on. I'm not a religious person and I was able to appreciate the movie, I don't know whats going on with Bob, but people should disregard this review or approach it with extreme skepticism, as I've noticed he seems to use these reviews as an excuse to vent.

It reminds me of his Rango review where he said it wasn't worth seeing, later that year it gets the Oscar for best animated picture. :/
Okay MovieBob...