Escape to the Movies: Life of Pi

atomicmrpelly

Apr 23, 2009
I am slightly miffed by Bob's review of this one, I mean yeah Pi is slightly annoying and not brilliantly acted but it's hardly as bad as he makes out and not exactly unique for this film. And yeah the preachy message is weird, but it's mentioned off hand at the start and end and that's it... I don't feel like the movie makers are trying to convert anybody!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Eh...

I don't really agree with what you say about Pi and the whole anti atheism thing. Yeah, it does talk about believing in God, but as an agnostic, I never felt it was trying to force it down my throat.

As for Pi himself? Yeah, he's quirky, and I kinda did question why he was running around on the boat in the middle of a storm, but considering that the whole ship was going to sink anyway, I can forgive him for that.

Personally, I thought the movie was fantastic. I can definitely see why a lot of people enjoyed it so much.

lastoflancas

Aug 17, 2009
HalloHerrNoob said:
Being an atheist myself I loved the movie...never felt like it was having such a clear message as Bob tries to get out of it.
Maybe he didnt really understood the ending.
Thank you. As a theist myself, I give you my respect *tipping my hat to you*.

IMO, the movie and the book tried to make the answer ambiguous for the reader and the viewer to find out. Maybe the author/director was being not so direct for a reason: there is always a room for a personal/reasonable explanation for such phenomenal feats. As for what the reader/viewer believes in the end is up to them, not the narrator or whatever the book/movie has to offer. The ending, for me, was neither for theism or atheism. It was, rather, an agnostic piece. Always questioning and providing evidence for and against, but never siding for one or the other. Whether you wanted to believe more beautiful, not-so-realistic version, or true and gritty realistic version is up to reader/viewer.