Escape to the Movies: Machete

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
For those who don't know what the "non-rope" is, just read his latest "Intermission" article.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
hoboofdeath42 said:
anyone else notice the "Spy Kids" connection? Doesn't Danny Trejo play a guy codenamed Machette, and the priest guy play 'uncle Felix'?
Trejo as "Machete" was also in Desperado, except Antonio Banderas killed him rather easily. This version of Machete seems Way more badass.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Ok so I do like movies better when they are about something. Although Bob it seems that you tend to lose your shit over anything that is "relevant", so Im gonna take this review with a grain of salt.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
(grumble) Hollywood aggrivates me. Yeah, I bet this is fun, and I'll probably see it anyways, but I know I'm gonna be doing
alot.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
So this is a real movie? Saw the trailer way back, but didn't think they'd really make a movie out of it. And it is also good? My mind is blown.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
So, the narrative equivalent of "Let's kill all the white people" somehow makes a movie's ridiculous action sequences more tolerable to you? Obviously our standards differ, Bob.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
It sounds awesome, I can't believe this movie is actually finally being made. That it really will come to be, should be incredible.
... in the next three months or so it takes for it to reach Australian cinemas but still, I look forward to it regardless.

Still, considering he spent so much time stating how much he loved the dumb fun of Piranha in the last video you'd think he'd at least mention it in this review in the context of how sad it is that certain action movies don't feel the need to have a brain. Like you know just a clarifying 'sometimes this is okay when it's made to be fun' statement or something because otherwise it kind of looks like he is disregarding his original stance on the movie.
Still, I liked Piranha 3D and agree with his assessment so I'm not too bothered by it.

Still I disagree with his assessment of 'fairly poor summer*' because sure we got Killers and Marmaduke but we also got Toy Story 3, Inception, Scott Pilgrim, Splice, Predators and Piranha 3D. It seems like a pretty fun lineup of movies overall.

Still, this movie does look amazing and I certainly want to give it a watch.

*I live in Australia, it is actually the winter season over here.

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
I've noticed this sort of trend with any critic's final review.

Drug Use - Check
Graphic violence - Check
Reference of current political turmoil - Check

And last but not least, Nudity - Check.

Critics [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/machete/] HAVE love this one, since it hits all of their points. In place of the nudity, they also could have used a Depressing plot.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I'd like to check this out. I'm a big fan of Rodriguez's work, and this looks like it'll be his crowning achievement.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Soylent Bacon said:
Wolf Devastator said:
Soylent Bacon said:
If you're too impatient to wait to see what the "rope" is, just watch the red band trailer on Youtube. WARNING: It also contains nudity, on top of the gore.
If it does, how is it on Youtube? Just curious.

Also the movie sounds interesting enough to watch :)
It's an official video with a red band warning at the beginning. I guess that's good enough for it to not be taken down.

Actually, now that I searched it again, there are more red band trailers uploaded unofficially that just have the gore.
I saw that one on Gametrailers or IGN, I can't remember. But some YouTube videos make you log in with your account to get around those kind of restrictions as well. Doesn't really matter, since YouTube doesn't care about violence, only sex, nudity and copyright infringement. Someone uploaded the extremely bloody Japanese horror movie Suicide Club over two years ago, and it's still there.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
IronyIsGood said:
Not a rope huh?
I'm guessing it's a fire hose. I used to wonder if they could support the weight of a person.
you are dead wrong my friend =]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, if the political message in this movie amounts to nothing more than the usual "republicans are bad", it's probably going to be just as engaging as Avatar.

Still, Robert Rodriguez is a very good director so it'll atleast be a good action flick. But I am getting a little tired of all these over the top funky action movies.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
'pirahna is good, it had blood and boobs in 3D'

'movies are better when they have a point'

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
wrecker77 said:
I'm speechless. The movie with the Minigun motorcycles and weaponized low-riders is a deep political thriller?
It really isn't, unless you're one of those people who see art in vague splashes of paint on an otherwise blank canvas.

What it is, though, is Bob's attempt at sounding smarter than he actually is in order to justify himself into liking this picture, but slamming Expendables - despite both of them being essentially the same, minus the boobs.
Cant you just get over it ?