LordLoudmouth

Dec 29, 2009
this proves 3 things:
1. Rodriques is multitask miracle
2. All that is from Rodrigues must kick ass
3. He says "itll be done" its will be done

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
I wonder if Hobo with a Shotgun will get the same treatment. Part of me hopes it does, part of me hopes it doesn't.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This should be redeeming after disappointment of The Expendables (I'm not sucking up to Bob, I was just underwhelmed).

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
this is a good sign
maybe that "Feast" movie (also a trailer from grindhouse) will come out too

then maybe Kung Pow 2

CronoT

May 15, 2010
As far as moviebob mentioning Bill O' Reilly and The View as possible sources of "RAAAAWWWR!!! Hulk Smash!" reactions come Monday morning, most of the people who would like and/or go see this movie probably only watch those shows solely as a means of Drinking Games.

Guy A: "O' Reilly just said something completely unsubstantiated and totally out of context!"

Guy B: "That's 5 shots of beer! Man, he's on a roll tonight."

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I was going to go see this whether or not Bob liked it.

But the whole thing about the brain either on or off thing... I prefer it either on or off.

There's no real plot to them but I have enjoyed Crank, Crank 2 & Shoot 'Em Up for all basically being brain off movies.

On the other hand I've also enjoyed Daybreakers, District 9, & The Wrestler for being brain on movies.

"And the 3rd ones messed with the lights"

Such as Smoking Aces which was a brain off movie until they got to the plot twist at the end. Sending assassins to kill a guy & take his heart without telling them why only to need it for a heart transplant... yeesh... my brain turned on. The lack of information the assassins got had any of them destroyed the heart in the process there would have been no point in sending them. The movie could've been better had the assassins knew yet didn't blurt it out during the movie.

Opposite of that I went to see Splice with my brain on. Thinking it could be possibly the kind of pro science movie that Richard Dawkins would approve of. Only for the movie to be anti-science & turn itself into a LMN movie... In other words the kind of movie I would have never gone to see.

As for brain on movies Bob pointed out I thought Robo Cop 3 sucked (2 was okay), never cared for Godzilla, & every sequel to Rambo was meh.

But if I had to choose between brain always off or on during a movie I'm going with off. My brain being on is more reserved for Vlogs such as richarddawkinsdotnet & AronRa on youtube. Because the most important thing to me about brain on topics is that they don't have to have special effects, fight scenes, etc to make them good topics. That said I suppose if I had to choose between a party about science or a discussion about science going on at the same time I'd choose the discussion. Because in that case I don't see the point in pussyfooting around a serious issue.

Finally I am most likely going to watch machete with my brain off. I don't have to think about Fox & Friends being right because I know they're wrong. Viva La Long Haired Dudes & Violence!

snow

Jan 14, 2010
This is the kind of review that I like to see, thank you for going back to what made Escape to the Movies enjoyable for me. Very informative, especially since I haven't heard of this movie before, I am now considering going to see it.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I have been looking forward to this movie ever since I heard they were making it! I loved Grindhouse, and Rodriguez' movies appeal to me. My only complaint is that it has no specified release date in Norway yet, which easily means 2-3 months of waiting. Sadface.

standokan

May 28, 2009
I saw the fake trailer and it was awesome, this is one of those movies which ll do good a dvd.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
MovieBob said:
Fun fact, the movie star (who also been in around 125 films up to this point) was a real Mexican gangster, who spent his jail time working out and turning himself around. When he got out, one of his probation buddies was a producer for a film and saw that Danny was the perfect "scary Mexican bad guy" that film needed.
Equally fun fact, that probabtion buddy was convicted bank robber Eddie Bunker who went on to play Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Huzzah a positive review! I was getting worried about the summer since Toy Story 3 looked like being the only must see.

Also, no bleeped swearing, double huzzah!

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
Bla I am not going to go see a movie that flues racewar idea or the idea of another nation invading Texas because its there idea of an right to be here.

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
Your last line reminded me of the ending of Wargames [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo].

In reply to your post I have two things to mention, since you were the one to bring the Expendables history into this thread. One is that I think you are ignoring people that genuinely respected MB's opinion to say that he didn't like the film and were (rightfully) outraged by his comments about the audience. Some people may not agree, but at least we can voice our opinions on the interwebs.

Two is that while MB is a "professional" in the sense that you defined. There are multiple definitions for the word. People were not saying the word professional and implying that he didn't have a job. But rather that he is bound to "exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace." [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional]

In conclusion, I feel that there is no clear winner of the Expendables thread and thus the only victory is not to discuss it at all.

/Expendables Thread

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Angron said:
'pirahna is good, it had blood and boobs in 3D'

'movies are better when they have a point'
But The Expendables is bad because it did better than my favourite'

Sure Bob, you make good points regularly and I would even know that this or Splice existed if it wasn't for you, but there's some big double standards going on.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Please, stop with the exaggerated 'SLOOOWW MOOOOO' voice bit, because it sounds ridiculously cheap. I know you do it for emphasis but it's painful to listen to!

Yay for no bleeped swearing as the poster above me said, definite positive there

The movie... Well, i'm sure the movie is fun, but it doesn't strike me as being my cup of tea. It looks just as brainless as the title (and trailer) suggests, and while it might be politically charged and well made and all the other points you covered, it can't shake that grindhouse feel and i can't help but associate that with a mindless gorefest of debauchery and an excuse to kill people in often over the top and hilarious ways.

I would argue that while (from what i could gather) the movie seems to be dissenting white supremacy(?) over (possibly illegal? i don't know much about the film) immigrants, it feels like there's a slight tinge of racism from those same minorities towards whites. "All whites are evil and we will kill them in gory ways and use violent weapons! We will make them our metaphorical *****!". I don't know enough of the plot to know if it's really portrayed in this way but it just seems to me from the video that it's an excuse for a bunch of minorities to get together and kick the shit out of white folk, even if they are supremacists. And it's discomforting. But then i suppose that's what movies like this are made for, to make you feel out of your comfort zone a bit.

I'm not saying any of the characters in the film don't have it coming, and i'm certaining not sympathising with 'white supremacy' in any way; i'm just saying that from a broader political spectrum we've gone from "the poor immigrants; we should understand their position" to "now immigrants have power and are becoming the more dominant peoples through means of violence" which feels just as one sided as what the movie is criticising. It stimulates the idea of a race-war over ideologies and in today's multicultural society where tensions are already high from sensationalist news stories and angry politicians this doesn't help things. As a white person, i feel somewhat threatened by the what the movie is suggesting. It certainly doesn't seem to promote cultural diversity. It promotes cultural supremacy