Escape to the Movies: Machete

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
Zeeky_Santos said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Sick to death of these people screaming 'you missed the point about why we hated your expendables review'. He gets the point and the fact that you are arguing against it is somewhat oxymoronic. He called you idiots for liking that film because in his professional* opinion, the film had nothing resembling plot or fun, it was pure idiocy and thus those who argue their rights to like it are idiots.

*professional: someone who is paid to do something as a profession. Just so you don't go around spouting 'what ever, MB isn't professional after that'.

OT: Good review, I quite enjoy politically driven films, whether they be drama, comedy or even sci-fi. This, this action premise, this sounds fucking amazing. I must see it.
Someone calling his reader/viewership idiots and then trying to take the high road by reminding that he is a professional is a fine turn down the douchebag lane that Yahtzee already took.
Your argumentation has continued unrelentingly for the past 2 week. At this stage I do not expect you to understand movie bob's perspective on this.

This conversation is over. You are not baiting me into any further argument. You will receive no further reply. You have not won.
LOL yeah way to not comment. Don't hate on other people for wanting the last word when you and Bob keep trying to have the last word. Expendables was Entertainment. Thats what a Movie is. Thats what people pay for. No one gors tot he movie to Not be entertained. To pretend it's otherwise is either dishonest or confused.

idiot445

Aug 19, 2008
The line about Executive Decision being Seagal's best movie made me laugh really hard. Everyone forgets he's even in that, but I can't agree more that it's his best film.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
As a Mexican-American, I applaud Robert Rodriguez not only for his work as a visionary director but one who fully embraces his roots as a fellow Mexican American (Tejano, technically...but hey, unlike the rest of the gits here in So-Cal, I have no ill-will towards the Great State. Funimation, Id Software, Retro Studios, all in one state? Awesome.)

Someone had to make a statement on behalf of not only Latinos, but on behalf of those of us who realize that it's not the immigrants but the politics that's the problem. And Rodriguez as an established member of the community, is one of the better members to make a statement.

Viva Rodriguez!

Solusumbra

Apr 23, 2010
do they at least concede that its reasonable to expect people immigrating to this country to learn english? i mean, its not really that big a thing, its really not racist at all, and i would really respect them for that.

after all, just because we have a rep as the "land of opportunity", or whatever, doesnt mean we shouldnt hold our immigrants to the same standard every other country does.

other than that, theres not much about the immigration debate that could piss me off. i even agree with a fair bit of it. my main two staples are "no illegal" and "speak english". once thats established, come on over.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to see what the "racist" Senator is like.

Is he a cartoon-ish villain that hates people only for their skin color
OR
Is the character a "left wing described" racist that wants border security, an end to illegal immigration and the problems it has caused.
(and in case you didn't notice, or are an extreme left-winger THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOO)

The debate on illegal immigration has taken the such a dramatic turn that people who even consider sealing the border, and wanting people to immigrate legally and follow American law are call racists (keep in mind Mexican Immigration Law is 10x worse then the U.S.).

I have nothing against anyone of any skin color. All people are equal in the eyes of the law (and of God if your religious), but that means everyone must be TREATED EQUALLY UNDER THE LAW, therefore if your white, black, hipsanic, Indian, Arab, Asian, or come from Canada, Mexico, the UK, Iraq, China or Japan YOU NEED TO COME IN LEGALLY AND FOLLOW OUR LAWS, and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE.

EXAMPLE: If I ever intend on moving to another country to work, first thing I'm going to do is pick up Rosetta Stone and learn how to communicate and do business in that country. Just because your of Hispanic-origin, doesn't mean you should expect us to bend over backwards to communicate. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Now, if charities and churches want to offer English classes to help the poor people, that's great.

How in God's name is that view "racist"? If anything its the most "fair and equal" way to do things. Everyone is treated the same under the law.

Now, if the movie didn't have a message (like MovieBob was saying is a bad thing), then it could be pure fun, but if I have to be treated with lines like "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" (which is the biggest bunch of bull crap I've ever heard), then I can't enjoy it.

Red Rum

Feb 25, 2008
I heard their making the "Hobo with a Shotgun" trailer into a real film.

If you've never heard of "hobo" it's because it in the Canadian release of Grindhouse.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
By the way: Movebob, it'd be "Roberto de las Peliculas", not "Peliculas de Roberto". Spanish grammar is weird like that.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
PhiMed said:
So, the narrative equivalent of "Let's kill all the white people" somehow makes a movie's ridiculous action sequences more tolerable to you? Obviously our standards differ, Bob.
Funny thing, when you had to shoot T-virus zombies in RE 5 that just happened to be black, it was "Oh my God, Capcom's a bunch of racists" No one cared when it was Americans or Spaniards (ironically enough)

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Sick to death of these people screaming 'you missed the point about why we hated your expendables review'. He gets the point and the fact that you are arguing against it is somewhat oxymoronic. He called you idiots for liking that film because in his professional* opinion, the film had nothing resembling plot or fun, it was pure idiocy and thus those who argue their rights to like it are idiots.

*professional: someone who is paid to do something as a profession. Just so you don't go around spouting 'what ever, MB isn't professional after that'.

OT: Good review, I quite enjoy politically driven films, whether they be drama, comedy or even sci-fi. This, this action premise, this sounds fucking amazing. I must see it.
Someone calling his reader/viewership idiots and then trying to take the high road by reminding that he is a professional is a fine turn down the douchebag lane that Yahtzee already took.
Your argumentation has continued unrelentingly for the past 2 week. At this stage I do not expect you to understand movie bob's perspective on this.

This conversation is over. You are not baiting me into any further argument. You will receive no further reply. You have not won.
Granted I'm just looking at this one post and don't know everything that's been said, but from what I've seen, I had to jump in.

Main thing is, everything is up to personal tastes: I hate a lot of stuff, and I like a lot of stuff. Some of those things you may hate or love too, and somethings we disagree on.

The Expendables wasn't the best movie in the world, it wasn't really that good, but I didn't walk out of the theater regretting the 2 hours of my life and $8 either. If someone enjoyed it, then more power to them, it neither "picks my pocket or breaks my leg" (Thomas Jefferson).

Basically, its not right to assume someone is an "idiot" or a lower organism because they enjoy cheesy action flicks.... there are other criteria more important in discovering the worth of a person.

Mr. Doe

Aug 15, 2009
Well shit. Once again moviebob has pissed in my cornflakes, I was going to see it but now I learn the politics arent just a throwaway thing to get the plot rolling so now Im on the fence again. Moviebob says alot of good stuff but then again he said good stuff about Piranah 3D and wanted more modern stuff from the expendables then it was willing to give and again The Apartheid analogy in District 9 didnt work for me because it was all brought down by a single mech piloted by a dude with a goofy name (for us here in 'Merica at least)and I would like to say that political analogies dont need to be analogies; if you want a movie thats about something make it about that! not about space people that happen upon something that resembles that. nobody ever makes a movie that acutally just comes out and says "This shits wrong!" they always have to waste a perfectly good action/sci-fi moive. (not the case with Machete because Machete is just a joke ripped from a joke and then filled with things to piss off Glenn Beck but shut up Im trying to say something here) I think that we should give Action and Sci-fi a chance to work on their own merits just to see if people are coming for the woosh bang fun or for political/moral/religious Strawmen shooting each other in the face if its the former then why all the polotics? if its the latter then why not fucking make the movies about the actual thing? oh and in respones to Bobs question about "isnt it better if you think about it after?" my answer is "sometimes" its kind of like murder, when it happens to someone else you might hang your head and think "whats the world coming to" but when it happens to your mother (or someone close to you) you take it alot worse, and to make this conversation more difficult Why arent there any Right wing action movies like this? Why isnt Dick Cheyne making a movie called "THE PATRIOTEERS" where he and Bill O'Reily go out and save the world from "The evil (bad guy's name)! with his army of Nuclear Scorpions!" wouldnt it be moronic to hear Cheyne say that? wouldnt it piss you off if that got made and then people all hated whatever they were strawmanning? Im sorry escapistmagazine.com forums but it pisses me off that I had to hear my douchebag classmate talk about how "Military industrialism is the devil and we'd be better off living like the Na'vi" for a while and while were at it the Na'vi lived like cavemen, you know exactly what we have been trying to avoid for like thousands of years, they lived without pants, healthcare, the surplus that allows you to be an unemployed slacker dickweed without dying (only applies to the people who support "Natural living") or the governmental system that prevents sociopaths like Stalin from taking power (and apparently diplomacy considering how quickly they declared "Fuck you with arrows Military strawman!" was their entire foreign policy) and to close a final few questions, is this revenge for the right wing having all the talk shows that arent comedy? is the left wing too juvenile to make something entirely serious? does the right wing have a massive stick up their collective ass?(yes) will someone take my idea of THE PATRIOTEERS and run with it? (most likely not)

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
loophole92 said:
Engaging in subtle digs at The Expendables doesn't equal you shutting your, as of recently, arrogant mouth. I thought you couldn't get any lower after last week but kudos for beating all expectations. Machete looks fun though
Butt hurt much?

Seriously. I hate to pin point you, but Jesus H. Christ people, he said something you all hated, ya'll got mad. It's been a few weeks now, the ship has sailed. I mean, I can understand your outrage, but it's over with now.

Bob is back to normal and everything's smooth now. Can we just move on like adults?

That being said, I enjoyed your video this week Bob. I really wanted to see Machete and I'm glad you gave me a little more insight on it. Thank you for going back to normal.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Just Craig said:
Furrama said:
Intestines? Just a guess.
And trust me, that's not-- by far-- the craziest scene in the movie.
lol that guy now has a mouth on his stomach but I've seen the review cinema snob did on it so I have some intense scenes from that movie

O.T. I've wanted to see this film ever since the grindhouse trailer plus wasn't there supposedly another grindhouse trailer that was suppose to become a real movie

AlexTaldren

Aug 7, 2007
Brockyman said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to see what the "racist" Senator is like.

Is he a cartoon-ish villain that hates people only for their skin color
OR
Is the character a "left wing described" racist that wants border security, an end to illegal immigration and the problems it has caused.
(and in case you didn't notice, or are an extreme left-winger THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOO)

The debate on illegal immigration has taken the such a dramatic turn that people who even consider sealing the border, and wanting people to immigrate legally and follow American law are call racists (keep in mind Mexican Immigration Law is 10x worse then the U.S.).

I have nothing against anyone of any skin color. All people are equal in the eyes of the law (and of God if your religious), but that means everyone must be TREATED EQUALLY UNDER THE LAW, therefore if your white, black, hipsanic, Indian, Arab, Asian, or come from Canada, Mexico, the UK, Iraq, China or Japan YOU NEED TO COME IN LEGALLY AND FOLLOW OUR LAWS, and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE.

EXAMPLE: If I ever intend on moving to another country to work, first thing I'm going to do is pick up Rosetta Stone and learn how to communicate and do business in that country. Just because your of Hispanic-origin, doesn't mean you should expect us to bend over backwards to communicate. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Now, if charities and churches want to offer English classes to help the poor people, that's great.

How in God's name is that view "racist"? If anything its the most "fair and equal" way to do things. Everyone is treated the same under the law.

Now, if the movie didn't have a message (like MovieBob was saying is a bad thing), then it could be pure fun, but if I have to be treated with lines like "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" (which is the biggest bunch of bull crap I've ever heard), then I can't enjoy it.
I feel the exact same way.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
There again, this might be the greatest way of getting an opposing message across, by running it thru a highly entertaining movie. People may not agree with it, but they'd at least have to think about it for a moment, which will be a step in the right direction.

Let's face it, the majority of people don't really listen to politicians and news anchors, but I imagine this is going to be seen by a good few million people.

for me, it just looks like a real fun, roller coaster kinda action movie, and I'm up for it!

pauloalbatross

Nov 10, 2009
Why do we in the UK have to wait until the 26th of November? That's nearly a full 3 months I have to wait for it, by which point I'll probably have forgotten all about it until it's too late. Unfortunately the cinema schedule for the time between now and then isn't exactly filling me with joy.