Escape to the Movies: Machete

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Brockyman said:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I would like to see what the "racist" Senator is like.

Is he a cartoon-ish villain that hates people only for their skin color
OR
Is the character a "left wing described" racist that wants border security, an end to illegal immigration and the problems it has caused.
(and in case you didn't notice, or are an extreme left-winger THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOO)

The debate on illegal immigration has taken the such a dramatic turn that people who even consider sealing the border, and wanting people to immigrate legally and follow American law are call racists (keep in mind Mexican Immigration Law is 10x worse then the U.S.).

I have nothing against anyone of any skin color. All people are equal in the eyes of the law (and of God if your religious), but that means everyone must be TREATED EQUALLY UNDER THE LAW, therefore if your white, black, hipsanic, Indian, Arab, Asian, or come from Canada, Mexico, the UK, Iraq, China or Japan YOU NEED TO COME IN LEGALLY AND FOLLOW OUR LAWS, and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE.

EXAMPLE: If I ever intend on moving to another country to work, first thing I'm going to do is pick up Rosetta Stone and learn how to communicate and do business in that country. Just because your of Hispanic-origin, doesn't mean you should expect us to bend over backwards to communicate. IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Now, if charities and churches want to offer English classes to help the poor people, that's great.

How in God's name is that view "racist"? If anything its the most "fair and equal" way to do things. Everyone is treated the same under the law.

Now, if the movie didn't have a message (like MovieBob was saying is a bad thing), then it could be pure fun, but if I have to be treated with lines like "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" (which is the biggest bunch of bull crap I've ever heard), then I can't enjoy it.
Freaking quoted for Truth.
I want to see the movie but, if the Senator is the example B "Racist" then it will effect my enjoyment of the movie a bit.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
The best Steven Seagal movie is Executive Decision? Wasn't he barely in tha-

...OHHHHH... I get it. :D

jefequeso

Feb 26, 2009
I completely disagree that movies are better when they have "a point". In fact, I find that movies with some sort of hidden agenda annoy me. A lot.

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
fii,

There now that is off my chest, will wait till the middle of next week, this is labor day weekend, and that means one BBQ and one more care-free day of beer-hammock-rest.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Definitely gonna go see this now, I was on the fence before... Thanks for the great review Bob!

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
you know whats really annoying bob. the movies you review look good you make them sound and look good but the annoying thing is that my town dosint have a cinima well not anymore so i cant see most of these film unless well there is the other way to watch films *shifty eyes* but its not the same i want to see these great films in the cinima but i cant which makes me sad because your reviews make them look so good. anyway good review keep up the good work.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Toy story 3, Inception, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, What are you talking about bad summer? all 3 are safely on my top 10 list of movies!
Oh, and when I saw the fake trailer, I thought they had really cut to commercial because I could easily see it becoming a movie,

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
I've been made fun of by my friends for finding meaning in movies. They say it ruins movies that don't have meaning for me. This, of course, isn't true. I can enjoy a mindless movie if it is entertaining and/or a good story well told; but when a mindless movie *isn't* entertaining and *isn't* a good story well told; I then voice my disapproval of the movie and my friends say I didn't like it because it wasn't "about" something. Does anything like this happen to any of you? (The smart ones of you, specifically)

I was first introduced to Danny Trejo in a video game called "Def Jam: Fight for New York" which was a pandering video game with a cast of just about every rapper from the Def Jam lineup as a playable character including Snoop Dog, Method Man, Redman, Fat Joe, Busta Rhymes, and Ice-T. It was kind of weird to play at first because the culture was so different from my own, but the fight mechanics were good and some of the music was fun to listen to. That, and the fact almost every rapper was playing a characterized version of himself was kind of refreshing. It ended up being a fun game I played often and invited friends over to play as well. Danny Trejo was one of the main bad guys in the first and second act of the story campaign and one of the better playable characters in the multiplayer mode. Needless to say, when I saw Danny Trejo in a movie a few weeks later, I was glad to see him and have been ever since.

I had my doubts about Machete because it was directed by Rodriguez, not Tarantino, and I am apparently one of only ten people in this entire country who liked Death Proof a lot and thought Planet Terror wasn't good. I was afraid Machete would be another movie similar to Planet Terror, but it turns out I liked a lot of Robert Rodriguez's other movies (that I didn't know at the time were directed by him) so I'll give this one a shot.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Fun fact, the movie star (who also been in around 125 films up to this point) was a real Mexican gangster, who spent his jail time working out and turning himself around. When he got out, one of his probation buddies was a producer for a film and saw that Danny was the perfect "scary Mexican bad guy" that film needed.
Yes, Danny Trejo was in prison. He was doing time in San Quentin and after he got out he got his big break in the movie business mostly starting off as a thug in films most recognizable in Desperado as an assassin with throwing knives.

I assume the "not rope" is the chain weapon that you see him using in the review video.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
wrecker77 said:
I'm speechless. The movie with the Minigun motorcycles and weaponized low-riders is a deep political thriller?
It really isn't, unless you're one of those people who see art in vague splashes of paint on an otherwise blank canvas.

What it is, though, is Bob's attempt at sounding smarter than he actually is in order to justify himself into liking this picture, but slamming Expendables - despite both of them being essentially the same, minus the boobs.
And it really isn't that good. It was alright, but...I really think this woulda been better as a (god forbid) mindless action flick instead of throwing such a plot (albeit a good one.) The fleshed out story telling took away from it, at least that's how my friend and I felt. I guess we just prefer mindless action in an action movie...

Oh and that scene where he has the leather trench coat filled with machetes....NOT THERE

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Woohoo. Good to know it's as good as it looked.

Anyone know when the fuck this is coming to UK cinemas?

badumtish

Jun 4, 2010
Now I haven't seen it but I certainly plan on it because Robert Rodriguez is awesome. But is it just me or does it seem like MovieBob really overstates the content of films. Like with Scott Pilgrim when he talked about how deep it was, when really all the message was it hard to get over other peoples baggage. Or district 9 when all there was there was the message that apartheid is bad (oversimplified but you get the idea). Either way this looks awesome.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Canid117 said:
Furrama said:
Intestines? Just a guess.
You've seen the youtube clip haven't you?
Nope. Wasn't aware of this movie's existence until today. I just thought of the nastiest rope like object I could think of.

radicaledward92

Dec 29, 2009
MB202 said:
Again, I feel like MovieBob missed the point of why people really disliked his Expendables review, but moving on from that...

I never would of thought that a movie like Machete, which was basically made as joke, would turn out like the way you described it. I might check it out, if I find someone to watch it with, since I usually don't like to watch movies by myself.
Why because people dont like being told how stupid they are?