Escape to the Movies: Machete

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
370999 said:
So now you've got people who've lived here "illegally" for several generations - who've started families and lived lives and who have children who are natural-born citizens - and a lot of them are starting to ask *Gasp!!* that they be treated like PEOPLE by a government that has benefited from their presence by ignoring it's own laws, and NOW suddenly it's a HUGE problem ;)

It's more complicated on either side, of course, but that's largely where the "anger" at the heart of this particular movie is coming from.
I was very much on the pro Arizonna side in the recent debate on it's new laws but I see no reasonw hy the US can't have a clause that if you live in the US territory for say, ten years and you can show that you could have work, then you should be allowed to be classified as a US citizen.

This isn't about favoring anyone over anyone else. You are wasting your money trying to keep anyone out. And by not "showing compassion" you put thousands of people into the status of criminal. This means that they cannot work regular jobs and have to be paid under the table. That way, you get paid less than minimum wage and your boss blackmails you into working for free. Plus, you don't pay taxes because you don't have a social security number. This screws up the police and public schools because there's less taxable income. Because you can't make any money worth a damn, your kids get hungry. Then your kids start stealing so they aren't as hungry. This is how slums are born White people would do this just as easily when put into a similar situation and they did, like when the Irish and Italian immigrants got treated like garbage. This is how the mafia was born.
This is more of an argument to stop illegal immigration then it is to have unlimited immigration.

The age of unlimited freedom of movement is sadly gone. Sucks I know but no Soverign State is a charity. The Us is perhaps one of the more better states in terms of ethics and such but it is still a nations Tate and as such it's ultimate interest is maximize it's power to better serve it's citizens.
(Sorry to double post). My issue with the idea of legalizing citizens who have been here for an period of time is that it encourages a squatting mentality. Secondly, there's a reason why there is such a thing as illegal immigration, and no, it isn't because all politicians who support border patrol are a bunch of right-wing racist bigots, though I'm sure a infinitesimal minority falls into that group.

It's because illegal immigration does put a strain on society as a whole. For one, it does not allow individuals to be screened before coming into this country, and while I will openly admit that it's ludicrous to think that all illegal immigrants are criminal scum, the fact of the matter is, some are. Without an immigration system in place, we have no idea of knowing what type of person is coming into our country, and call me dirt, but I would have no qualms to saying no to someone who, in the past, has shown no qualms with continuously breaking the laws of his own country.

An argument against the "squatters privileges", as I'll put it now, is that there isn't enough merit, in my mind, to support it. I do not think that the illegal immigration law is unconstitutional enough, at least with some severe skewing of the intentions of the document, to say that it should not be followed. I am also outright sick of the argument of "If we don't do it, no one will", in reference to the undesirable manual labor tasks. News flash, I've personally seen and known people of several ethnicities who have picked up these tasks you labeled "undesirable".

Secondly, the idea that they'd pay taxes if we just make them legal. By what logic do you think they would? To be honest, this is the nature of the beast, but I have not heard many voiced opinions from this group of individuals stating this. The chance of them not doing so isn't so minuscule that it's beyond consideration. This may be hard to believe, but some individuals might actually enjoy their undocumented..Actually lets not mince words, illegal status because it allows them to fly under the radar on such things.

Sorry for rambling, despite this if I will go see the movie, and might actually enjoy it. Even if I disagree with its message, I will still support the movie if anyone attempts to censor it (which is conceivable). I might not agree with the message, but I still support free speech.

RedheadedKate

Jul 12, 2010
Danny Trejo has been in a lot of things that you wouldn't expect him to be in. I don't think I'll see this (unfortunately, I have a freakishly weak stomach, even for fake gore), but I really hope Mr. Trejo starts getting more credit for his talent.

May 17, 2010
Squeaksx said:
(Sorry to double post). My issue with the idea of legalizing citizens who have been here for an period of time is that it encourages a squatting mentality. Secondly, there's a reason why there is such a thing as illegal immigration, and no, it isn't because all politicians who support border patrol are a bunch of right-wing racist bigots, though I'm sure a infinitesimal minority falls into that group.

It's because illegal immigration does put a strain on society as a whole. For one, it does not allow individuals to be screened before coming into this country, and while I will openly admit that it's ludicrous to think that all illegal immigrants are criminal scum, the fact of the matter is, some are. Without an immigration system in place, we have no idea of knowing what type of person is coming into our country, and call me dirt, but I would have no qualms to saying no to someone who, in the past, has shown no qualms with continuously breaking the laws of his own country.

An argument against the "squatters privileges", as I'll put it now, is that there isn't enough merit, in my mind, to support it. I do not think that the illegal immigration law is unconstitutional enough, at least with some severe skewing of the intentions of the document, to say that it should not be followed. I am also outright sick of the argument of "If we don't do it, no one will", in reference to the undesirable manual labor tasks. News flash, I've personally seen and known people of several ethnicities who have picked up these tasks you labeled "undesirable".

Secondly, the idea that they'd pay taxes if we just make them legal. By what logic do you think they would? To be honest, this is the nature of the beast, but I have not heard many voiced opinions from this group of individuals stating this. The chance of them not doing so isn't so minuscule that it's beyond consideration. This may be hard to believe, but some individuals might actually enjoy their undocumented..Actually lets not mince words, illegal status because it allows them to fly under the radar on such things.

Sorry for rambling, despite this if I will go see the movie, and might actually enjoy it. Even if I disagree with its message, I will still support the movie if anyone attempts to censor it (which is conceivable). I might not agree with the message, but I still support free speech.
I am very sympathetic to your position and yes I do strongly believe in enforcing immigration control.

The main reason I am for legalising citizens is that I am deeply uncomfortable with the diea of deporting people who have resides in a country for a sustaned period of time and have bcome to intergrate and assimilate into the local culture.

Mainly I feel so on humanitarian grounds so I understand you criticism.

I do think if thet aren't willing to pay taxes then they should be deported with haste.

Kudos to you however for managing to not sound patronisng in your reply to myself.

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
Swifteye said:
lead sharp said:
As this is the latest film reviewed and I'm not sure where to post this but I would be genuinely interested in bobs take on this...

http://redlettermedia.com/

The Star Trek review.
He reviewed that movie. It's in the archives wouldn't hurt to look ya know. But i'll save ya the five minutes. He was against it.

Actually I know he reviewed Start Trek and didn't like it, my point was that Plinket's review is clearly a positive one and frankly put forward in a very clever (and yes, unique style) and well thought out way, as opposed to 'It's good because it has tons of action and boobs in it.'

I would pay money to see those two have a debate over this.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
lead sharp said:
Swifteye said:
lead sharp said:
As this is the latest film reviewed and I'm not sure where to post this but I would be genuinely interested in bobs take on this...

http://redlettermedia.com/

The Star Trek review.
He reviewed that movie. It's in the archives wouldn't hurt to look ya know. But i'll save ya the five minutes. He was against it.

Actually I know he reviewed Start Trek and didn't like it, my point was that Plinket's review is clearly a positive one and frankly put forward in a very clever (and yes, unique style) and well thought out way, as opposed to 'It's good because it has tons of action and boobs in it.'

I would pay money to see those two have a debate over this.

Heeeey your unto something with that idea dude. Plinkett and movie bob. That could be pretty funny.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
370999 said:
Squeaksx said:

I am very sympathetic to your position and yes I do strongly believe in enforcing immigration control.

The main reason I am for legalising citizens is that I am deeply uncomfortable with the diea of deporting people who have resides in a country for a sustaned period of time and have bcome to intergrate and assimilate into the local culture.

Mainly I feel so on humanitarian grounds so I understand you criticism.

I do think if thet aren't willing to pay taxes then they should be deported with haste.

Kudos to you however for managing to not sound patronisng in your reply to myself.
Trust me, you made valid points. Though you could also return the humanitarian angle onto the people who decided to risk the trauma of deportation onto their children or other family members and still immigrate here illegally. While many would hate to consider this, there can be a situation where it could be the selfishness of the individual coming here illegally that is to blame. Not at all times, or even the majority, but enough to merit a mentioning.

calder

Aug 16, 2010
finally moviebob doesn't just piss me off by trying to insult awesome movies in a failed attempt to be yahtzee. but ten bucks says he fucks it up next week. also i don't think it was suposed to be so much ironic as it was just plain fucking awesome. I love it how danny trejo fucks every women in that movie.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
I must say I wanted to be really made about this review. Being of mixed descent myself I get frustrated when arguments become about lights vs. darks and this review made it certainly sound like the movie goes that direction. But then I remembered a couple things that will quell my rage for now.

1. MovieBob hates Twilight in all its forms which is probably enough for us to be BFFs no matter what else is said.
2. MovieBob is still mad about The Expendables beating out Scott Pilgrim at the box office. I am also upset that the bright new total video game geek out movie didn't get the recognition it deserves.

Keeping this in mind I think MovieBob deserves our patience and understanding instead of our hate and scorn. So for what its worth I might give Machete a chance.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Wow I really need to see this. Looks really good. What a cast...

rokudan

Dec 20, 2008
Trust me, you made valid points. Though you could also return the humanitarian angle onto the people who decided to risk the trauma of deportation onto their children or other family members and still immigrate here illegally. While many would hate to consider this, there can be a situation where it could be the selfishness of the individual coming here illegally that is to blame. Not at all times, or even the majority, but enough to merit a mentioning.
Except who is being inhumain. Its the government of Mexico that treats their people so bad that they want to leave.

Do the math. Instead of someone with the last name Rodriguez telling the tale of noble, sympathetic Hispanics victimized by white American southern rednecks ? all of whom are portrayed as murderous racists, what if we had a white filmmaker telling the tale of noble and sympathetic Texas border ranchers victimized by marauding, racist, gold-toothed unwashed Mexicans out to steal their land? Oh, and we would close our story with a stand-up-and-cheer race war where Texas ranchers unite to violently mow down evil Mexicans.

Besides, check out the laws that you have to follow if you want to immigrate TO Mexico:

1. If you migrate to this county, you must speak the native language

2. You have to be a professional or an investor. No unskilled workers
allowed.

3. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no
special ballots for elections, all government business will be
conducted in our language.

4. Foreigners will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they
are here.

5 Foreigners will NEVER be able to hold political office.

6. Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no
food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs.

7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount
equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.

8. If foreigners do come and want to buy land that will be okay, BUT
options will be restricted. You are not allowed waterfront property.
That is reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.

9. Foreigners may not protest; no demonstrations, no waving a foreign
flag, no political organizing, no badmouthing our president or his
policies, if you do you will be sent home.

10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be hunted down
and sent straight to jail.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
when I saw the fake trailer on the Grindhouse DVD I thought "HOLY F*CKING SH*T THIS SH*T IS AWESOME.. too bad its fake" when I heard a commercial for it on the radio my brain exploded from happines

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
So a political movie about racism is refreshing?

Is it about rights for illegal or legal immigrants?

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
rokudan said:
Except who is being inhumain. Its the government of Mexico that treats their people so bad that they want to leave.

Do the math. Instead of someone with the last name Rodriguez telling the tale of noble, sympathetic Hispanics victimized by white American southern rednecks ? all of whom are portrayed as murderous racists, what if we had a white filmmaker telling the tale of noble and sympathetic Texas border ranchers victimized by marauding, racist, gold-toothed unwashed Mexicans out to steal their land? Oh, and we would close our story with a stand-up-and-cheer race war where Texas ranchers unite to violently mow down evil Mexicans.

Besides, check out the laws that you have to follow if you want to immigrate TO Mexico:

1. If you migrate to this county, you must speak the native language

2. You have to be a professional or an investor. No unskilled workers
allowed.

3. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools, no
special ballots for elections, all government business will be
conducted in our language.

4. Foreigners will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they
are here.

5 Foreigners will NEVER be able to hold political office.

6. Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no
food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs.

7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount
equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.

8. If foreigners do come and want to buy land that will be okay, BUT
options will be restricted. You are not allowed waterfront property.
That is reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.

9. Foreigners may not protest; no demonstrations, no waving a foreign
flag, no political organizing, no badmouthing our president or his
policies, if you do you will be sent home.

10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be hunted down
and sent straight to jail.
Not to mention Mexico has a massive fence on their southern border.
Why the hell do we need to listen to Mexico anyway?

Sep 14, 2009
huh. i thought this looked god awful but i may have to check it out...we haven't agreed on a few things in the past tho so im not getting my hopes up...

FarSpace

Mar 21, 2009
Oh man this isn't a fun movie to watch, it is someones opinion about polotics, darn, what a waist.

Political is no good in movies like this, no matter what side it is on it is always still screwed up even if you almost agree and who wants to hear that political bull anyways?

I just don't care about someones political views in entertainment.

plainDJ

Sep 11, 2010
so many you are thinking the rope is a fire hose........its a small intestine, no joke saw the movie.dont believe me see the movie