Escape to the Movies: Maleficent - An Unusual Fairy Tale of Revenge

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
Maleficent - An Unusual Fairy Tale of Revenge

The retelling of the classic Sleeping Beauty fairy tale has a few plot problems.

Watch Video
 

Ken_J

New member
Jun 4, 2009
891
0
0
So I wonder how long this will take to be a Kingdom Hearts Level.

Also, good to know Jolie still got it.
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,257
0
0
Jolie as Malificent is enough for me to go see it anyway, just to see how mad she can make that character. Good to know that it's memorable, too.

And is this review subtitle a thing now, or is it there through choice? Getting mixed messages through these last few weeks.
 

tdylan

New member
Jun 17, 2011
381
0
0
So...take my 6 year old, Disney Princess obsessed daughter to see this, or not?
 

Burnouts3s3

New member
Jan 20, 2012
746
0
0
I'm surprised at the whole 'sympathetic villain' backlash movies like Maleficent have been getting.

I thought giving dimension to characters, through backstory and perspective change, was the way to give them depth.
 

Uriel_Hayabusa

New member
Apr 7, 2014
418
0
0
Bob's review convinced me to check it out just for the hell of it. This movie sounds like such a crazy idea that I can't help but want to see it with my own eyes.

Oh, and I don't think Jafar would be the ideal candidate for a revisionist retelling; I think it could work for Scar or the villain from Frozen, though. Maybe Gaston as well.
 

Ickabod

New member
May 29, 2008
389
0
0
The thing that gets me about this movie is, Who is it's audience?

It's not for kids or families
It's not for teenagers
It's not for males craving CGI transformers type of action
I doubt it's going to appeal towards women (not being one I couldn't say for sure, but wife has no interest).
It's not an art house type of movie

So I'm really asking, who is this movie made for?
 

V4Viewtiful

New member
Feb 12, 2014
721
0
0
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I'm surprised at the whole 'sympathetic villain' backlash movies like Maleficent have been getting.

I thought giving dimension to characters, through backstory and perspective change, was the way to give them depth.
from what I hear she's only evil because of what a man did, if true I understand the criticism.
 

KazeAizen

New member
Jul 17, 2013
1,129
0
0
I still can't tell if he actually liked it or not. I guess he's recommending it to just so we can go see this kind of madness, and it is madness I saw the film last night at 7. Pretty much all he said is spot on, but I myself, liked it. I'm hoping there is some kind of Director's Cut of this film. I would pay good money to see that.
 

Deathfish15

New member
Nov 7, 2006
579
0
0
Disney's Kill Bill? Bob, you just make me actually want to watch this movie. I love Kill Bill. Oh, and that movie wasn't anything about "rape" at all. It was a betrayal movie with a love story mixed into it. The only part of "rape" was about the male nurse in the first movie that apparently had sex with her and other coma victims (he got what he deserved by having his head smashed in with the door). The rest of the story was that she was originally attacked by Bill and the snakes because if he can't have her, no one can. After that, it was simply revenge against those that did her wrong.
 

walsfeo

New member
Feb 17, 2010
314
0
0
So, with all the spoilers, this is more of a critique than a review? I'm good with that, I don't usually mind being spoiled on stuff.
 

impocalyptic

New member
Oct 31, 2011
84
0
0
I was wondering how the I spit on your grave comparison was gonna play into the story. But holy crap. This sounds so nuts that I just gotta see this.
 

Ferisar

New member
Oct 2, 2010
814
0
0
Ickabod said:
The thing that gets me about this movie is, Who is it's audience?

It's not for kids or families
It's not for teenagers
It's not for males craving CGI transformers type of action
I doubt it's going to appeal towards women (not being one I couldn't say for sure, but wife has no interest).
It's not an art house type of movie

So I'm really asking, who is this movie made for?
For all the people who grew up on disney princess films and grew up, which is every demographic currently out there. Disney really doesn't have to work very hard with movies like these when it comes to audience appeal x)
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
Wow I'm slowed. I didn't realise the wings cut off was a rape subtext which I guess reinforce that I did felt the reinterpret of Sleepy Beauty is kind of like political correction or rather updated with modern society over old fairy tale
Ok so the Prince kiss did not wake her up thinking he is the "true love kiss". It make sense in today views since while he met and is attracted to her, he does not know her alot.
I felt Melficent affection for Aurora was not genuine thanks to that fairy wish "she will be loved by all" which I guess include Maleficent herself.
Yeah the three faries annoyed me in the film since they were pretty much the three stooges and who ideas was it to let them raise the child thinking they are good carer material just cos they got magic?
Overall I did thought the film was alright and had no expectation (it was the only decent film after Godzilla and X-men and I'm not too keen on Edge of Tomorrow) to it as I had pretty much forgotten the actual story.
 

Ickabod

New member
May 29, 2008
389
0
0
Ferisar said:
Ickabod said:
The thing that gets me about this movie is, Who is it's audience?

It's not for kids or families
It's not for teenagers
It's not for males craving CGI transformers type of action
I doubt it's going to appeal towards women (not being one I couldn't say for sure, but wife has no interest).
It's not an art house type of movie

So I'm really asking, who is this movie made for?
For all the people who grew up on disney princess films and grew up, which is every demographic currently out there. Disney really doesn't have to work very hard with movies like these when it comes to audience appeal x)
I hear what you're saying, I just think that it's going to bomb
 

WhiteFangofWhoa

New member
Jan 11, 2008
2,548
0
0
Huh. I thought you'd hate this because as you said, Maleficent is the first and only Disney villain to be played completely straight without any redeeming factor or quirkiness to her. To try and create a framework capable of painting the 'mistress of all evil' as good sounds awkward as all hell.

As for Jafar, it's already halfway done. The Sultan is an incompetent buffoon without a clue how to run a kingdom who inherited it by birthright. I've already read a fairly good fic where Jafar starts out taken on as a palace guard in his youth and murders and backstabs his way up to the top because he feels he would run the kingdom better.
 

vid87

New member
May 17, 2010
737
0
0
"The maniacal love-child of Mae West and Vegeta...on bath salts."

Pure gold.

Also Jafar was already done in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, and while his "sympathetic" version is also pretty messed up -

He is a bastard child and his father the Sultan has him live as a slave before trying to DROWN him, giving him both abandonment issues that drive the entire story and a crippling fear of water preyed upon by the bizarre fear-sensing human Jabberwocky

- and is played delightfully by Naveen Andrews, it ultimately comes off as a cliché, a detraction from his also "awesomely evil just 'cause" legacy, and another sticking point to a show that was, despite one or two bright spots, a trainwreck.