Escape to the Movies: Mockingjay, Part 1 - Best One Yet (Although A Little Thin)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
JennAnge said:
Falseprophet said:
RiffRaff said:
Is it just me?
No, because Katniss isn't the Chosen One of a Campellian Hero's Journey. She's a survivor trying to keep herself and her family alive in the face of social forces that want to break her, kill her, own her, or use her to their own ends. This trilogy is more like The Long Walk or All Quiet On the Western Front than Star Wars.

For your purposes, I'd recommend taking a look at books by Tamora Pierce or Patricia C. Wrede. Kristin Cashore's Graceling books and Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series might also be what you're looking for.
Awesome list, thanks! As the mom of a growing daugther, I want to seed her equally growing library with positive role models - as well as sci-fi and fantasy, because if I have to read one more Heartland horsie novel I am going to go French Cuisine on some unlucky equine's ass. But the books I've read through so far make me want to cry...The Wrede novels look particularly interesting because the first set of the Dragon ones seem to be largely boyfriend free. I have nothing against her reading the gooey stuff too, but I'd like at least a few books to pass the literary equivalent of a Bechdel test. If she don't like 'em, that's fine, but at least she'll hopefully realize that being boy-obssessed in your teens is one choice among others rather than a prerequisite of her gender.

OT: Been meaning to watch the Hunger Games series at some point - tried getting into the novels but the writing, oy... With Bob's review in hand, I think I might wait for the final movie to be out so I can watch the series, and particularly the last movies, as an ensemble.
Well, false prophet beat me to the book list, but you can always consider showing her the Miyazaki films. He writes very strong female protagonists, and more importantly, he gets people. I just introduced them to my younger sister.

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
I might give this movie a try. I never saw Catching Fire as the original didn't exactly impress me, which is sad because as the review stated, the themes explored are very important to contemporary society.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
The irony is that, moviebob having just professed excitement for the end of the quadrilogy, the ending of the books was probably one of the weakest parts in the whole thing. Seriously, several major kill-offs and important character developments just happen with no rhyme or reason.

I just wish the author had gone with a 'victory, but the world still has problems' ending as opposed to the whatever we got. Maybe the point was that all the conflict was for nothing, but these books are hardly 'All Quiet on the Eastern Front' and the ending just came off as confused.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Everyone seems to think that this one, while mostly fine, is the weakest film so far, but our good hipster savior Bob has come to the rescue to tell everyone how different he is. Thanks buddy.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
This was the most anticipated and foreseeably frustrating movie I wanted to see this year. I knew, coming in, that I was going to get half a story. So, it wasn't a surprise that was what I got. Still, I liked what I saw. It's a part of a bigger story. It's just unfortunate that the movie doesn't really stand on it's own like the previous two. The worst part is avoiding spoilers for the last half of the book. Until, part 2 is released next year. Damn you! Greedy movie studio!

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
vid87 said:
I would at least like to know how they've apparently scrapped together decent weaponry to fight a high-tech martial state. I mean, did she just blow up an air drone with a bow and arrow? Did it at least have a bomb strapped to it or something?
Imagine what they could've done actual military equipment, such as anti-material rifles or silenced arms, they'd be unstoppable.
Those professionally trained, disciplined and experienced soldiers with far superior equipment wouldn't stand a chance!

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Bob, I like your videos, but honestly the intentional mispronouncing of character's names does not come across as funny. I stopped playing this video 3 minutes in because I was too distracted to listen to what you were actually saying about the film.