Escape to the Movies: MovieBob: Oscars 2011

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I have not seen Black Swan yet, but I would love to see that or Inception smother the competition for Best Picture. I also have not seen The King's Speech, so I can only say that it looks like "Oscar Bait" material that simply does not interest me, but I might give it a rent eventually. As for The Social Network, it was without a doubt bloody overrated for what it was. Admittedly, I found it far more entertaining than I ever anticipated, but do consider that my own bar was low enough to shave Hades' beard. After viewing, I cannot say that it will be something I will ever think about watching again, let alone give a second thought. I saw The Social Network not too long ago and already forgot about its existence, and I can safely say that I would nevertheless rather see The King's Speech overtake FaceFilm. The later was decent, but where they get off on advertising claims like the first great film of the decade (or whatever it was) makes me a tad nauseous.

Then again, I really could not care any less about the stuffy opinions of staid movie snobs. I'll spend my time watching movies that I enjoy and want to for whatever reason, not because they are purportedly high-minded or "better." At the end of the day, I see them still as movies for a temporal thrill and the competition is only getting easier considering Hollywood is one and a half steps away from rebooting/sequeling its own self through an alternate dimension, time-slip.

XxRyanxX said:
Gordon_4 said:
I am praying to Raptor Jesus that How to Train Your Dragon upsets Pixar and scores Best Animated Feature, and just to stretch my hope to breaking point, I want it to win best Original Score too.
You know what? I agree with you.. that movie was amazing, very creative, and was highly praised for it's work as well as it's story telling. I believe that Raptor Jesus deserves the Oscar Award, I mean sure Pixar is talented but this movie was something unique, like you hardly find movies like these that benefit everyone. Plus at the end, you don't get that type of outcome ether (Won't spoil it, just see the movie!) So yeah, i'm with you on this one.
Count me in as well; a Dragon upsetting Toy Story. :D

Sorry, but I just don't like Pixar movies, I just don't, okay? But in all seriousness, I thought How to Train your Dragon was very original and a fun, creative divergence for animation.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
The Oscars has become a bizarre backwards drinking game where you take a shot after every award for the movie that should have won but didn't; or after the Oscar was awarded, and the one that should have won it didn't even get nominated.

After last year's farce where the 'Academy' deliberately snubbed Avatar in favor of The Hurt Locker, I've lost pretty much all faith and/or desire to care about what they say or do.

At least the AIAS still has some semblance of self-respect and dignity.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Am I the only one who's sore about the fact that Hailee Steinfeld the young rising star who is far and away the true lead in True Grit is only up for best Supporting Actress instead of Best Actress?

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
Since Stephen Colbert decided not to do a bi-annual "The DaColbert Code" to predict the Oscars, I'll do it right here, doing word association chains based on last year's winners. It may not be as long (or as funny) as Colbert's way of doing it...but who IS, really?

BEST ACTOR
Jeff Bridges won last year for his role in "Crazy Hearts". So:
Jeff Bridges...who was in "Tron"...MCP...GOP...Republicans...Elephants...Largest land mammal...Largest empire...built by Alexander the Great...played by Colin Farrell...Colin Firth wins for "King's Speech"!
(Keeping in character, Colin will make his acceptance speech in the style of Porky Pig.)

BEST ACTRESS
Sandra Bullock finally got some love for her role in "The Blind Side". So:
Sandra Bullock..."The Lake House"...The White House...President...First Lady...Hillary Clinton...a "queen" who became Senator...just like Padme Amidala...played by Natalie Portman...who'll win for "Black Swan"!
(What'd make this perfect would be Natalie celebrating by French-kissing Carrie Fisher.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christoph Waltz won last year for "Inglourious Basterds". So:
Christoph Waltz...Blue Danube Waltz...Blue balls...Powerball...Millions...What "Dark Knight" made...starring Christian Bale...who'll win for "The Fighter"!
(If he DOES win, needless to say,...stay out of his light...)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Mo'Nique...who won for "Precious"...Gollum...Golem...a Pokemon made of rock..."Rock Around the Clock"...Bill Haley and the Comets...Halley's Comet...Hailee Steinfeld wins for "True Grit"!
(With any luck, the pedophiles will NOT be watching the broadcast.)

BEST DIRECTOR
Last year, Kathryn Bigelow became the first-ever female director to win for "The Hurt Locker". So:
Kathryn Bigelow...Deuce Bigelow...Deuce of Hearts...Kingdom Hearts...Disney...Mickey Mouse Club...Fight Club...directed by David Fincher...who will win for "The Social Network"!
(Sadly, no one will hear his speech because everyone "Ignore"d him on Facebook.)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Last year's winner was "Up". So:
"Up"...made by PIXAR...just like "Toy Story 3", which will win.
(Don't bother pretending otherwise, people.)

BEST PICTURE
Last year's winner, in a shocker, was "The Hurt Locker". So:
"Hurt Locker"...Foot Locker...Football...Soccer...World Cup...Stanley Cup...Stanley Kubrick...directed "2001"...was sequeled as "2010"...August 28, 2010...which was the "Restoring Honor Rally"...held on the 47th anniversary of Martin Luther "King's Speech"...which will win Best Picture!
(Hopefully, the acceptance won't be as long as a king's speech REALLY is...or we may not get to sleep before midnight!)

nk19

Apr 6, 2010
Thank you, just thank you for mentioning daft punk. They should have been in there.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
I am praying to Raptor Jesus that How to Train Your Dragon upsets Pixar and scores Best Animated Feature, and just to stretch my hope to breaking point, I want it to win best Original Score too.
Yeah, hey Bob? Since I'm rooting for Dreamworks, I kind of flipped you off at the Musical score mention.

So.... Yeah. The one time I disagree with you. Take it to heart.

Amyler

Nov 17, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
my favorite piece from the score was Battling the Green Death, personally. I think it's the only other best animated to have any sort of chance, but I think we'll see it come in with best score. I hope so, at least.

meatpc

Mar 15, 2010
Oh no, you didn't.
You didn't just imply that Daft Punks's bore-me-to-death score for Tron was better than any of Hans Zimmer's work, let alone Inception.
It must be all in my head.

Technicka

Jul 7, 2010
meatpc said:
Oh no, you didn't.
You didn't just imply that Daft Punks's bore-me-to-death score for Tron was better than any of Hans Zimmer's work, let alone Inception.
It must be all in my head.
Zimmer, is great, and always does solid work. But he's done better in the past. If he wins for Inception...I see it one of those, "Sorry we snubbed you in the past, here you go" sort of deals. Like when Denzel got his Academy for Training Day, and not all those infinitely better movies that he did before. I hate the idea of "owed" honours. As such, I also don't want Firth to win on account of that either. Best Actor needs to be a tough choice, because there were some amazing performances that came out in 2010. Sure, he's one of them, but it shouldn't be a done deal.

And say what you will, Daft Punk's score was one of the saving graces of an otherwise by-the-numbers action yarn (the other being the aesthetics of the movie - which deserves some award, even over Inception imho). And isn't complimenting, and enhancing, the movie one of the things a score should do?

Matthew Wilson

Apr 27, 2010
I'd like to see Social Network win best picture if not for some love going to Fincher - he deserves it - but for everyone interested in films thinking back to when it was announched they were making a movie about Facebook and everyone thinking it was a crap idea.

Also I am 120% behind Portman winning because I fucking loved Black Swan and Aronofsky should win something either for his direction, his moustache or the best use of 'knocked up' at an awards show. Watch the video if you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5Tn9TWSJM

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
But...but... King's Speech had Beethoven's 7th, and anything that reminds me of The Fall is great!

But yeah, I don't think it should win either :/ too many good movies in the category.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
It doesnt even seem like its going to be worth watching. Social Network and King's Speech are a shoe in for every category.

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
I'm suprised that you didn't mention Restrepo for best documentary.

It was very interesting IMO, way beyond the point of just the footage of the actual war. Then again it was released really early in the year so some people may have already forgotten about it.