Escape to the Movies: MovieBob: Oscars 2011

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: DOWN WITH THE ACADEMY AWARDS!!!

I'd trust that CAT's opinions on films before I listen to what the *Oscars* tell me what's worth watching.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Hey Bob, would you ever consider covering 'Paul', the new alien comedy from the Shaun of the Dead team? Can't help but wonder what you'd make of it.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
I'm hoping that Social Network wins picture and Sorkin wins Adapted Screenplay. All the other categories I just don't care about.

AND WHY THE HELL WAS THE TRON SCCORE NOT NOMINATED?!?!?!?

I'm not just copying what Bob said with this. I walked out of Tron 2 saying, "no other movie this year has had a score that felt like a real character in the movie. This is gonna sweep best score" and then it's not even ON THE LIST???

what the hell?

see you after the show.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
Is there a reason you skipped over the Best Supporting categories? Also, if Christian Bale and Hailee Steinfeld don't win those, I might punch my television.

SapphireD910

Dec 24, 2010
So here's my two cents...

Kings Speech wins best picture because that's the direction of the academy. People will say Social Network was robbed and some others will say it should have been Black Swan (haven't seen Social Network, so I'm not going to unfairly back Black Swan). Inception is too much on the edge of sci-fi/fantasy, and as Bob himself has pointed out, those make the academy uneasy, though they couldn't avoid it as a great film and phenomena this year. The only reason I could even see a shake-up is because with the host choices they're obviously trying to appeal to younger people (they realize other than talking about it on boards for a few weeks, deep down most of us really couldn't care less and half of their true audience doesn't stay up for most of the show).

In the case of the Daft Punk snub, which I'm surprised people were surprised, that was some amazing music, there were times in the movie I just took in the music and ignored the extra long chase going on... but the academy is still probably too old to appreciate it. They did give best song for Hustle and Flo that one year though, so why could they recognize that, but not this... I don't know. I'll admit, I didn't even consider Daft Punk as a possible nominee, their music is amazing, but just not something I can see a dusty award show actually showing respect to.

The only snub I see as even worse is Gosling for best actor. WTF?! That made me feel bad when I heard that. I think in years to come he's going to be one of our generations best actors. As it stands I think he already is, it's hard to think of him as being around my age, because he's got a presence that makes him feel beyond his years. I think they snubbed him to secure Firth. This seems to be Firth's make-up year for a previous performance (though he's given a great performance none the less) and the academy doesn't want someone pulling off a slightly better performance or better received performance to ruin their "sorry for not giving it to you before". They may also be taking Gosling's obvious talent and youth for granted... possibly thinking he's got many more performances ahead that'll be nominated and actually win.

Some time before, someone just got an award they didn't deserve, and since the academy has been making it up to people a role or two late. Best actor and director seem the biggest examples where this happens.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
CronoT said:
The Oscars has become a bizarre backwards drinking game where you take a shot after every award for the movie that should have won but didn't; or after the Oscar was awarded, and the one that should have won it didn't even get nominated.
I want to play this drinking game.

And I'm sorry Bob I will lick Hans Zimmer's boots. I play his music on repeat and stare at walls and I love every single second of it.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
AgDr_ODST said:
Am I the only one who's sore about the fact that Hailee Steinfeld the young rising star who is far and away the true lead in True Grit is only up for best Supporting Actress instead of Best Actress?
Agreed she's amazing, but honestly, she atleast has a good chance to win supporting actress, not so much for lead actress, which has really become a judgement on the actress/actor's entire career rather than just that particular performance.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
runnernda said:
Is there a reason you skipped over the Best Supporting categories? Also, if Christian Bale and Hailee Steinfeld don't win those, I might punch my television.
I haven't seen the fighter so I can speak of Bale but I did see True Grit and Im in 1000% agreement she deserves the oscar far more so than the other nominees
Grey_Focks said:
Agreed she's amazing, but honestly, she atleast has a good chance to win supporting actress, not so much for lead actress, which has really become a judgement on the actress/actor's entire career rather than just that particular performance.
hadn't thought of it that way...and now that I have Im inclined to agree....but hey who knows True Grit could do for Hailee what starring in the Professional did for Natalie

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
AgDr_ODST said:
Am I the only one who's sore about the fact that Hailee Steinfeld the young rising star who is far and away the true lead in True Grit is only up for best Supporting Actress instead of Best Actress?
I think it's criminal, she is amazing in that film, and she deserves an oscar for it.
I suppose they thought she'd have a better chance in the supporting category, but that's probably going to go to one of the ladies in the fighter. It's a shame, she deserves at least a nomination in the leading category. She's totally the central character in the film.

On another note, the oscars is something that is heavily campaigned for so it's not just about talent, it's who puts themselves out there as really wanting it.
And even the director of the social network doesn't think it's greatly directed, so he'd best not win that.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
The Oscars are invalid this year, completely so. Probably for the next few years afterwards, as well.

Not one nomination for Daft Punk's score for Tron: Legacy. Not a single one. I'm sorry, I know not everyone liked the movie, but I simply can't get over this. At all. It's a snub of the very highest order.

Oh wait... Hanz Zimmer was nominated for the Inception soundtrack. Well, it's not perfect, but I guess it restores at least enough of my faith in the Oscars that I can take them somewhat seriously. So I take back what I said about them being invalid.

Yes, music is important to me when it comes to my entertainment, how did you guess?

jojoemon

May 20, 2008
Dirty Apple said:
First of all, I probably have an unhealthy love for all things Pixar. They deserve top spot in their industry because they've earned it through consistently excellent releases.

Now, that being said, I'd really like to see some competition pop up that would challenge them to reach new heights. I can't help but feel that a monopoly on a category's wins will only breed complacency. Come on animation studios, give them a run for their money. A tougher race for best Toon oscar is a win/win for all involved.
Megamind was pretty good (in my opinion). It doesn't really stand a chance against Toy Story 3 though. That said, it would have beaten the crap out of Cars.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
AgDr_ODST said:
Absolutely not. I will join you in the party that is disappointed in the Academy for giving Steinfeld the snub in a "Best Actress" nomination.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Duffeknol said:
Disagreed on the best score part. The best score was definitely not Daft Punk's Tron. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED that soundtrack. I bought it on cd first chance I got. But it's not Oscar-worthy. It's a tad bit too cliché for that, and besides a few truly creative tracks, way too much of it is standard Hans Zimmer-esque movie scoring 101.
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross should win it for The Social Network. There's so much creativity in their score, it's nuts. I know Reznor took a lot of his material from his Ghosts albums, but that can be overlooked, since those songs fit the evening mood the entire movie breathes perfectly.
YES! IT WON! HELL YES!

Oct 2, 2010
Glad to see Social Network getting that editing award; when I was thinking about TSN after leaving the theatre, editing came to mind as what probably wow'd me the most about it.

Uh, not so much for score though. It's no surprise whatsoever that HTTYD didn't get it, but I still wish it would have.

Aijou

Nov 9, 2009
Daft Punk not getting a nomination definately still hurts a bit, but Trent Reznor winning was pretty much the next best thing. At the very least this bodes well for the prospect of seeing more major films reach to the modern music industry for it's soundtracks, which, from what I've seen so far (There will be blood, Tron, social network) is a very, very good move.

Gwarr

Mar 24, 2010
If The Social Network wins Best Picture I'll throw up a little . Black swan and Inception deserve to win that category , but if The Kings Speech gets it , I guess I am ok with it.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I didn't think the King's Speech was overrated to the point where it was undeserving of a nomination. It was one of my 10 best movies of the year. I loved it.

But the love was that of a parent's. Out of all my children, I loved it the least.

It definitely was overrated to the point of undeserving to win, I almost felt it was rigged due to the fact that King's Speech score and ending speech was the background music to the montage of best picture nominees. I thought nobody was to know until the envelope was opened.

Favorite films of the year:

1. Toy Story 3
2. Inception or Black Swan (Depending on my mood)
3. Winter's Bone
4. The Fighter
5. Kick Ass
6. The Illusionist
7. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
8. The Town
9. True Grit
10. The King's Speech

(Honorable Mention to Let Me In. It made practically nothing at the Box Office but was one of my favorite movies of the year. Along with Inception it had the best cinematography and score. However, as ignored as it was by the audience and awards, it was a niche movie that was also a remake owes most of what made it work due to the brilliant Let the Right One In which is one of my favorite movies of all time.)

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Seriously, I'm SO glad Reznor won.

I'm getting so sick of literally 90% of all movies turning to Hans Zimmer for their soundtracks. I recently watched two movies back to back (Megamind and Despicable Me). Both of them are quite alike, and both of them had completely interchangeable music. Guess who composed it? Gee, Hans Zimmer. The man writes maybe one good, memorable theme every 5 years, and for the rest creates nothing but completely forgettable background music that no one actually notices. The man has written ONE good soundtrack in his life: the Weather Man. And it's only good because it sounds like Thomas Newman. I honestly couldn't believe he wrote it when I found out that was by Zimmer.

Now, fanboys, feel free to flame me and tell me how 'epic' his score for <insert movie/video game with generic orchestra soundtrack here> was.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Did anyone take a tally of the things MovieBob got wrong? I'm looking right now and, without going back to the video, I see that the Foreign Language Film he predicted to win it didn't actually win it. I wonder if he got anything else wrong, like the category where he thought the movie with the lesbian couple would win I know he got that wrong but what category was it?

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
I wonder what Bob thinks of The Kings Speech sweeping the Oscars after he basically told us it was Oscar bait. Bad film? No, but way too formulaic, average, and a very limited appeal to be a best picture nomination, much less a winner.

My god I was hoping True Grit woudl have and should have won.