Escape to the Movies: MovieBob: Oscars 2011

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Primus1985 said:
I wonder what Bob thinks of The Kings Speech sweeping the Oscars after he basically told us it was Oscar bait.
Bland, safe, utterly uninspired piffle from the Weinstein Bros. nearly sweeps the top spots, the most interesting of the nominees (Inception in this case) takes a boatload of technical awards but nothing "serious." It's like the late-90s all over again ;)

RARbuddha

Jun 7, 2010
I guess with the system in place "as is", the new, hip, happenin stuff will never get proper recognition by the older establishment (i.e. Oscar). It would be nonsensical (from the older gen POV) to elect the newest generation of actor/writer/director to be a part of the committee (and god forbid a majority).

By this formula (past bx = future bx) we can expect a cookie-cutter Inception or Social Network to win in about 30 years.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
MovieBob said:
Primus1985 said:
I wonder what Bob thinks of The Kings Speech sweeping the Oscars after he basically told us it was Oscar bait.
Bland, safe, utterly uninspired piffle from the Weinstein Bros. nearly sweeps the top spots, the most interesting of the nominees (Inception in this case) takes a boatload of technical awards but nothing "serious." It's like the late-90s all over again ;)
Wow the man himself :)

Ahh the late 90's just when i thought I blocked that out it comes rear back. Unfortuitly in this case its at the cost of several other quality titles.

I damn near expected Jeff Bridges to win best actor for True Grit, and had hoped True Grit or Inception would win Best picture, but alas as expected nothing truely original and great wins unless its a techniqual award *heavy sigh*

I am extremly glad Natalie Portman won for best actress but am supremely dissopinted Haliee Stienfield didnt win for True Grit. Melissa Leo turned in a solid performance dont get me wrong but Haliee did a heck of a job with the role, played the hell out of it. I mean for being so young she turned in a performance that was well beyond her years and very deserving of the award.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
The awards were as safe and predictable as could be, and I think that Bob appositely described the situation at hand.

I am rather glad that The Social Network did not receive the momentousness approval that the movie advertisements claimed in the Oscar awards. It had many crucial elements in place and I found, for what it was as a movie revolving all around dialogue to still be rather good. It's just that in the end, I look back on it like it as I would towards making brussels sprouts mildly interesting instead of something I would downright pass on. I'm split though because in my gut seeing The King's Speech take the best picture just seems so boring. Excuse my apathy towards The King's Speech (I'm sure it is quite good), but the premise just can't draw forth an inkling of excitement to see the film.

Last year just seemed so much more interesting with Avatar being a major departure from the norm and actually showing a strong standing. I'm not a big fan of the film, but I still enjoyed it greatly (but the trilogy thing has me very skeptical).

The increase in nominees leaves me feeling like it was more of a courtesy for ostensible movie/genre diversity instead of a solid lineup of many "Oscar Bait," "Artsy," "Progressive," ad nauseum films. But I suppose it is the aforementioned Oscar-favored movie types that lead me to not give a hoot about The Academy. They can excuse me as I continue to enjoy Inception, The Town, Red, Fantastic Mr. Fox, probably a few Jason Stantham flicks for good measure, ect.

honeybakedham

Sep 29, 2009
I agree Daft Punk was seriously overlooked. I'm not a fan, but their score for TRON: Legacy was fitting, exciting, and unfortunately better than the movie it supports... but more than anything, though, it's just cool... and that might make it one of the five best scores... but Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's score was just plain better... or better enough to deserve the prize.

As music in service of the movie, the score needs to really carry emotional gravitas... and Reznor and Ross crafted a score that supported the complex drama under which it is laid, and managed to do so with what I think is the most innovative musical score I've heard for a film in years.

It's worth saying too... Daft Punk didn't have the good fortune to score a movie that had any drama in need of carrying.

But seriously, why would you, Movie Bob, think Daft Punk is slighted by not winning. It isn't like John Williams got another statue. The founder and leader of NINE INCH NAILS getting an Oscar isn't sufficiently edgy enough? I think the Punk's score was nomination worthy, for sure... but I think the right score won in the end.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
bahumat42 said:
urgh
just looked through the list of winners thinking "wrong,wrong,wrong"
my faith is shaken .
Except the overhyped The Kings Speech, I agree with most of them.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
The fact that 'Daft Punk the movie: Featuring Tron' Didn't get even nominated for best score is a sodding joke, still at least Trent Reznors epic score won.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
I'm ecstatic that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won best original score. It held me from the moment I heard it, and brought so much to the film, that it was the only one that stood out for me. Sorry to say Daft Punk's didn't do as much for me as it has for so many others.

I'm shocked that TSN's won to be honest, as it's far too modern for the normally fairly reserved academy.

I was hoping that David Fincher would win too. While the King's Speech was excellent, in terms of direction I think the Social Network just nudged ahead

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Do many people take the Oscars seriously though?

Out of all the winners, the fact they've now won an Oscar, still doesnt make me want to go see the movies.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
honeybakedham said:
I agree Daft Punk was seriously overlooked. I'm not a fan, but their score for TRON: Legacy was fitting, exciting, and unfortunately better than the movie it supports... but more than anything, though, it's just cool... and that might make it one of the five best scores... but Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's score was just plain better... or better enough to deserve the prize.

As music in service of the movie, the score needs to really carry emotional gravitas... and Reznor and Ross crafted a score that supported the complex drama under which it is laid, and managed to do so with what I think is the most innovative musical score I've heard for a film in years.

It's worth saying too... Daft Punk didn't have the good fortune to score a movie that had any drama in need of carrying.

But seriously, why would you, Movie Bob, think Daft Punk is slighted by not winning. It isn't like John Williams got another statue. The founder and leader of NINE INCH NAILS getting an Oscar isn't sufficiently edgy enough? I think the Punk's score was nomination worthy, for sure... but I think the right score won in the end.
This is basically what I posted earlier. I think you and me share a passion <3

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Best soundtrack is totally How to Train Your Dragon. Inception's close, though.
Also, nice cat there.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I am really glad Ms. Portman won last night.

And boy MovieBob, you know the right bate to go fishing with. You went and caught yourself 4 of those Oscars.

Flutterbrave

Dec 10, 2009
The big shock for me was seeing Hooper win best director. Literally, not one scene in that movie did anything crazy or unexpected or even particularly interesting. Hooper just stuck a bunch of really good actors in front of some cameras, handed them the script, then probably headed off to get a drink. Fincher did a lot more with his cast. To seriously compare the two films, they're both ultimately action-free flicks full of people talking and not much else. The difference was that I nearly burst my bladder watching social network, what with the massive drinks you get at cinemas and not wanting to miss any of what was happening. With the King's Speech, I was damn near falling asleep.

As for the other awards, well, props to Inception for actually getting the same number of awards as the King's speech, if in slightly less important categories. It was a shame about Hailee Steinfeld losing out on the supporting actress, but I somehow still haven't seen The Fighter so I'll admit to not being in any position to call this one.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
The awards were as safe and predictable as could be, and I think that Bob appositely described the situation at hand.

I am rather glad that The Social Network did not receive the momentousness approval that the movie advertisements claimed in the Oscar awards. It had many crucial elements in place and I found, for what it was as a movie revolving all around dialogue to still be rather good. It's just that in the end, I look back on it like it as I would towards making brussels sprouts mildly interesting instead of something I would downright pass on. I'm split though because in my gut seeing The King's Speech take the best picture just seems so boring. Excuse my apathy towards The King's Speech (I'm sure it is quite good), but the premise just can't draw forth an inkling of excitement to see the film.

Last year just seemed so much more interesting with Avatar being a major departure from the norm and actually showing a strong standing. I'm not a big fan of the film, but I still enjoyed it greatly (but the trilogy thing has me very skeptical).

The increase in nominees leaves me feeling like it was more of a courtesy for ostensible movie/genre diversity instead of a solid lineup of many "Oscar Bait," "Artsy," "Progressive," ad nauseum films. But I suppose it is the aforementioned Oscar-favored movie types that lead me to not give a hoot about The Academy. They can excuse me as I continue to enjoy Inception, The Town, Red, Fantastic Mr. Fox, probably a few Jason Stantham flicks for good measure, ect.
Major Departure from the norm

pick one.

Though I feel the same about the Social Network and the King's Speech, in that I don't think I could get myself up to see them again.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
If Daft Punk had been a nominee I may have actually watched the Oscars - I'm not a fan of theirs but the chance to see them up on stage accepting an award would have been worth all of the tedium that proceeded it.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
The category I cared about the most was the Foreign Movie and I hoped Bob was right and Biutiful won but it didn't. Damn you picture I haven't seen for beating another picture I haven't seen but that i support because it was made by mexicans and it had Bardem in it.