Escape to the Movies: MovieBob: Oscars 2011

Dr Killpatient

Jun 18, 2008
Extragorey said:
Best soundtrack is totally How to Train Your Dragon. Inception's close, though.
Also, nice cat there.
Yes, yes, and YES.

Network winning for the OST was the only WTF moment for me. This movie had music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E87JSduSnVw

And you call THIS music? Jesus Effing Christ. This is what the degenerates in their BMW's listen on Saturday night out on town.

Sure, Zimmer's Inception was a bit repetitive, but what about Powell's glorious and sweeping Dragon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IBlQj2U5kU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJ96LGGP6w

Even Desplat's Speech was pretty okay. Yet, they went with this sad joke.

True Grit got nothing. NOTHING. Didn't see that coming.

Christian Bale - loved the Fighter, loved his performance, only actor/ress I was rooting for, since Portman's win was certain.

And people should stop making animations when there is a Pixar cartoon coming out in the same year - they're wasting their talent and getting zero recognition.

I'm a bit torn over Speech. I really liked the movie, but seeing a royalty who hasn't worked a day in his privileged life cry over a speech impediment was just pushing it too far and getting on my nerve. Bob was absolutely right about this being the Oscar-bait. Still liked it though, and Firth's performance.

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
Overall pretty happy with the winners of the Oscars, nothing unexpected but this was a damn good year for movies. It'll be fun hearing all the ignorant sci-fi geeks cry because 'some boring royal drama' won a good amount of the serious awards, though. Seriously, as someone who holds Inception as one of my all-time favourite movies, there was almost no impactful emotion to it, none of the acting stood out beyond being very good action-movie fare, as a whole it's outstanding but when you pick apart each piece Inception is not a perfect film. The King's Speech however does brilliantly in every regard, yes in spite of being about a 'boring subject'.

The only thing I really disagreed with was the Best Animated Feature being Toy Story 3 as opposed to HTTYD. Honestly, Toy Story 3 was an outstanding end to a great series of my childhood, but when you look at it as a single piece rather than one of three, it doesn't stand up THAT well; almost all of the character development is just assumed and a crapload of the plotpoints are just there for the kids to laugh about (Pretty much the repurposed point to Buzz's character here). HTTYD, as an original piece, genuinely made me upset without needing to harken back to 10-year-old memories, with an incredible soundtrack and characters that thrive in the world despite DreamWork's 'celebrity voice actor' choices. Just feels like the Academy gave it to Toy Story 3 because it was a Pixar film, to be honest.

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
Jesus, stop bashing on TKS! I get that you didn't like it but it was a kick-ass movie and I think you're going a bit too far just calling it out every chance you have! Seriously I think there's some kind of grudge there or something...

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
Why did MovieBob make the same episode twice? I already saw this episode back when he "reviewed" The King's Speech.

bestow

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks so much for the mention about Daft punk movie bob, I've been crying about this for awhile, I think they were just afraid they would do their speech in helmets. Signed up to say this /salute.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
TheGameCritique said:
Also, the controversy over the missing Waiting for Superman is unwarranted. It's been proven to be full of factual inaccuracies and deliberate misrepresentation of the kid's stories. The director wants to prove his thesis that charter schools are so much better and the main thing to blame for poor education is the teacher's union, when in fact character schools across the country succeed and fail in the same proportion as public schools and in almost the same areas, showing that environment and parental involvement are far better indicators of success.
Bowling for Columbine was filled with as many factual inaccuracies as Waiting for Superman, but it won the award for best documentary. I really do not think the factual inaccuracies was the reason that movie got shunned by everyone in Hollywood. The fact is that last year, the academy thought there were better documentaries that Waiting for Superman.

I am in education myself, but I am not in the camp that says this movie being factually inaccurate means it is bad. All documentaries have spin in them, which is not as bad as people think it is. I think the movie's existence is far more dangerous than most realize. What the movie does is provide confirmation bias to those that know public education suck. It also reaffirms their beliefs that taking their kids out of public school was the correct thing to do. And it gave these people another tool in their arsenal to use when they lambaste the public school.

DeepwellBridge

Mar 17, 2011
Completely agree with you there Bob! How could the academy ignore Tron Legacy's heart pounding soundtrack? I understand why the movie didn't make it (though it is a personal favorite of mine) but the score was damn near perfect!

C14N

May 28, 2008
Oh noes, The King's Speech won! It's all because the Academy are old and don't care about us hip kids, not because it was one of the most acclaimed films this year with practically unanimous praise from critics and audiences.

I liked The Social Network better but it's still perfectly fine if they want to give the award to something else. I sort of feel like Fincher missed the director award because they know he will be back again.