Escape to the Movies: Musclepocalypse

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
daibakuha said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Since I only recently saw the first Die Hard, I can completely agree with this. I don't really want to see people who're so well-built and powerful that I can't relate to them. That's why I usually don't like anime.
Depends what decade of anime you're looking at. I would say most anime don't really have this trope, and haven't since those movies were popular. Japan tends to favor the more average looking hero, rather than the muscle-bound doofus.
That's the thing about Japanese culture, the muscle-bound boisterous dude is usually seen as something of a negative stereotype, usually that of an IDIOT. Japan favors humility, stoicism, and loyalty above all else, thus why the typical boisterous character is considered stupid and arrogant. Sure, there are some musclebound anime CLASSICS such as Fist of the North Star, Berserk, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (though Jojo actually starting veering away from that after awhile)

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
they are making a terminator 5 and a new conan movie. good video Bob a lot of your points on the effect CGi has had i think is spot on.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
J Tyran said:
Therumancer said:
Arnie for example got very old, he's not built like he was in his prime anymore, and that kind of shows.
It would suit a third Conan movie though, the later ones when Conan became old and kinda tired.
well anri has been said to have signed up for a new conan movie called "king conan" so his age could facter quite well into the movie

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
wolf thing said:
J Tyran said:
Therumancer said:
Arnie for example got very old, he's not built like he was in his prime anymore, and that kind of shows.
It would suit a third Conan movie though, the later ones when Conan became old and kinda tired.
well anri has been said to have signed up for a new conan movie called "king conan" so his age could facter quite well into the movie
Yeah it should all kinds of awesome, the last "Conan" movie with Jason Momoa had some awesome fight scenes but it just wasn't the same.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Guess we'd better get that guy who has been keeping track of how often Bob brings up The Avengers.

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
I think the more pressing problem with the two movies in question is marketing. I for one have never heard of either movie until now.

Also, they already made a Conan reboot in case you forgot.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Aiddon said:
daibakuha said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Since I only recently saw the first Die Hard, I can completely agree with this. I don't really want to see people who're so well-built and powerful that I can't relate to them. That's why I usually don't like anime.
Depends what decade of anime you're looking at. I would say most anime don't really have this trope, and haven't since those movies were popular. Japan tends to favor the more average looking hero, rather than the muscle-bound doofus.
That's the thing about Japanese culture, the muscle-bound boisterous dude is usually seen as something of a negative stereotype, usually that of an IDIOT. Japan favors humility, stoicism, and loyalty above all else, thus why the typical boisterous character is considered stupid and arrogant. Sure, there are some musclebound anime CLASSICS such as Fist of the North Star, Berserk, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (though Jojo actually starting veering away from that after awhile)
I think Berserk is a special case. As is stuff like Dragon Ball Z. Japan also values hard work, and those characters got big because of hard and diligence.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Also those films became predictble. Watching it is more like of a chore. They do not surprise anymore. Like comics adaptation of super heroes are becoming now. Movie is an idustry of trend like many others. So died the 1980's action hero enters the new one.

PS: have you not talked about this before MovieBob, in another show, here in this site? Or was it the review of The RAID...

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Great piece Bob!

My opinion can be summed up in 2 words: they're old. There's a reason 25 year old bodybuilder Arnold became a 1980s star but his 40 year old bodybuilder friends did not. Young people go to the movies more often than old people and young people don't want to see movies about action stars who are older than their dads - they want to see action stars they can relate to.

The Expendables proves there's enough old guys who want to see a nostalgic action flick that they'll go to the movies once a year but they aren't going to go to the movies all the time. The market is saturated by one film.

Tony Stark in Iron Man is a vibrant professional who is single, flipplant, and generally relateable to the 18 year old guy. Contrast that with "The Last Stand" where the punch line was literally "how do you feel sherrif?" response from Arnold "old". Is there any guess why the 18 year old male goes to see Iron Man but not The Last Stand?

Tiroe

May 21, 2009
I don't think the release dates for these films helped much either. The Expendables 1 and 2 premiere in August,which is when people want to see big, dumb action movies that are just fun. The 2 movies Bob was talking about came out in January and February, which is when people don't have as much time to go to the movies, unless it's something really good (or better marketed)

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
If you're too young to remember eighties popular culture as it happened, then you probably don't care about these guys in the first place.

But if you're old enough to remember eighties popular culture as it happened, then you're probably walking around with the preconceived notion that whatever these guys are making now just could not live up to the high water mark of their respective careers. So why bother?

The acting career of Bruce Willis bears a closer resemblance to that of Clint Eastwood then any of his action-hero contemporaries. They started out making genre flicks but moved on from that to establish themselves as well-rounded actors.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Here is one thing Bob forgot.
In the 80s and 90s there was still a Red scare. The US was not the only superpower in the world so you could have these action heroes fighting Communists.
Today, in the words of Yahtzee "you have got kill-droids and they have rocks, you are the Stormtroopers mascaraing the Ewoks".
So unless there are plans to make movies with these guys now being villains(like Arnold back as the bad Terminator) you can't really have a very very good and believable movie.
Another possible route is the one from Witcher 2 which just plays with the stereotype physique of the main villain and then tells you near the end that he was the true mastermind behind everything on the orders of Nilfguard.If Hollywood wants to make a Witcher movie any of these guys would be perfect for that role.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
This does sound more like a Big Picture, but who cares. On Bruce Willis versus Stallone though, I don't entirely agree. See, Stallone was good in Rocky, but that's because he wrote the script, probably with character actions and emotions already in mind. He knew it inside out before the principal shooting. When he is not directly involved in writing the script, he's ok. Willis on the other hand, is a really talented actor, and while Die Hard jettisoned his career as a good action hero, movies like Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense also proved his worth as a really good actor.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I think its because both movies had REALLY SHIT trailers, they gave you no idea what the movie was about and hence gave you no reason to watch it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I wonder how the new 'Fast and the Furious' will do... poor Vin...

Also, does James Bond fit into all this? I know 'Skyfall' only did okay in the US but in the UK it broke records.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
"Grumble grumble" indeed

Ya know, the first movie I ever saw on premiere day was Cloverfield & I absolutely loved it. It then motivated me to check out more of J.J. Abrams' work... yeah, turns out he only produced Cloverfield... & it shows

Please, please next Star Wars movie, bomb hard enough that they find a new director for the supposed Portal film

(tbh, I don't really know how well Portal would translate to film. The setting & characters are awesome, but a large part of the charm came from the unique gameplay experience. There's a snowball's chance in hell that Chell would still be a silent protagonist. Here's hoping)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:
"Grumble grumble" indeed

Ya know, the first movie I ever saw on premiere day was Cloverfield & I absolutely loved it. It then motivated me to check out more of J.J. Abrams' work... yeah, turns out he only produced Cloverfield... & it shows

Please, please next Star Wars movie, bomb hard enough that they find a new director for the supposed Portal film

(tbh, I don't really know how well Portal would translate to film. The setting & characters are awesome, but a large part of the charm came from the unique gameplay experience. There's a snowball's chance in hell that Chell would still be a silent protagonist. Here's hoping)
You might be able to do Portal as a short film, but not NOT as a feature-length one with an actual plot, characterization, and three-act structure, same with Half-Life.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
...I have to be honest, when I watched this and realized it wasn't a video about an actual movie called Musclepocalypse...I was a little disappointed.