Escape to the Movies: Musclepocalypse

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Umm... Bob, would it have been too much to ask for you to have given us a brief, 5-second answer to the simple question "Are The Last Stand and Bullet To The Head actually any good, or are they the kind of badly-made shallow garbage as The Expendables?" Just out of interest.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
"We dont know what their place is yet"

Sure we do. Its in the friend zone, left to die, along with anything that exhibits anything even remotely suggesting a difference between men and women in a hyper sensitized politically correct world. THATS why Ahnold isnt relevant any more. You even hint on it but shirk it by explaining you are not an anthropologist.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Interesting point.
When i first heard about Arni's return to movies and his new action hit "The Last Stand" my first thought was:
When an action movie star gets to old for movies, he can become governor and when he's to old to be governor, he can still... go back to movies? Yeah, riiight XD
Also, i just call it "Die very very very very very Hard" now

Well, i thank those guys for their classical movies and for what they've achieved for the action movie genre, but i guess there would be no problem if they would "retire" now either.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
Personally, I have no idea what the hell MovieBob is talking about.

Sly and Arnold's movies aren't bombing because people don't like watching muscle bound action guys, they're bombing because Arnold and Sly are too fucking old to be playing those characters.

Compare, for example, The Rock. He seems to have no problem getting work, and I would be seriously surprised if Fast and Furious 6 doesn't make money in theaters this summer. Or look at the continued success of the WWE. They keep making money just as well as they ever did. Hell, the day comes that Gears of War gets turned into a movie, you can bet that whatever ex-body builder or wrestler gets tapped to play Marcus Fenix will most certainly look more like a brick shithouse than a normal human being.

There'll always be a place for the roided up hero, but frankly there will NEVER be a place for the roided up grandpa.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
I didn't think this video would have much to it but bob usually has something worth listening to.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Since I only recently saw the first Die Hard, I can completely agree with this. I don't really want to see people who're so well-built and powerful that I can't relate to them. That's why I usually don't like anime.
But that's exactly the reason I DO like anime, and tech anime in particular. Apart from the inherent coolness of robots-that-turn-into-stuff that made Voltron and Robotech hit shows in the 80's, there's also the fact that this guy

was the biggest badass in the universe. Even more than his own squadron leader, though granted, that guy crashed just about everything he flew.

Red X said:
Ha cha cha!
Did I really just see a legitimate, relevant Jimmy Durante reference? This may be the biggest mindblow I have experienced since the Orson Welles slow clap became a thing.

William Greeson

Nov 13, 2012
Part of the success of Expendables isn't being talked about and feels important.

Next to the old guard are these new guys. Jason Statham only started getting big after Snatch, a movie showing off that he could be charming and clever. He follows it up with The Transporter and Crank. One being a not great action movie which still showcases a decent action star. The other being a parody of this kind of thing showing he doesn't take himself too seriously. You also have Terry Crews, who is really riding off those crazy Old Spice commercials making fun of superhuman phisiques. These guys sitting next to the old guys made expendables all the more interesting as an event rather than a movie.

With that in mind, it was a passing of the torch kind of thing, and some action fans felt obligated to go.(I didn't, I expected it would suck due to the ability to sell off star power and was proven right by friends who did go.) Hollywood needs to do one of two things to keep it going. Up the bar with fresh talent like Terry Crews, or do movies containing BOTH one of the old guys with one of these new guys.(Yes, I know that last stand has one of the guys from 'Jackass' but that doesn't count, since he's not one of the "new guard" action stars I'm kind of pointing towards.) Either one of these things will sell on premise alone.

But whatevs. I'm not too depressed to see these over the top action pieces fall a little. Hollywood might get creative if it keeps happening.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
So basically, those five other shows Bob has to talk about whatever the fuck he wants on aren't enough, and he has to talk about completely inane bullshit on his movie show about movies instead of actually talking about what movie he saw. "Escape to the Movies"? More like Bob's third orgasm of the day, first one hundred views get one of the messy hand wipes and a cameo as an annoying character (sorry to be redundant there) in the next Game Overthinker episode.

Keith_F

Mar 3, 2010
Or maybe the lesson is don't release a big budget action movie in January. Except that's not a lesson. Because that's been common sense for decades.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
I too would like to see see some demographics by an anthropologist. I have absolutely no idea of the background of this (or really any) franchise's core demographic, but to compare it to my own community: Those were the movies that everyone wanted to see, but nobody really "had the chance." For me, it was because I went to college and am no longer walking distance from a movie theater. All my friends are in a similar situation. While we would probably enjoy the movie the most, theaters IN GENERAL are outdated and inconvenient to people like me. Let me give you an example: Last Saturday, a group of friends and I were bored 3:00 in the morning. "we should watch a movie" one said. Now, do you think it even crossed our minds to find someone to drive us to the movie theater? Of course not. We cycled through Netflix, HBO GO, and ultimately decided to just play Mario Party. Why in the world would we spend $20-$40 for 2 hours when we have everything we could ask for here?

I still plan on watching these movies eventually, but there's a very good chance that when I do, they will have agreed that the movie was a failure and never make another. And I bet I would WANT another movie, but the lag time between money spent and money received is so long that movie makers would have a better return rate buying lottery tickets.

It's always been like this to a degree, producers know this and have been making all the blockbusters in the summer and winter, as that's when most people are on vacation and have the most free time. The problem is that companies have propagated social stigmas in all the places that now would be beneficial. Straight-to-tv/dvd, decreasing theater time, and word-of-mouth promotion has always been seen as an instant flop, but obviously TV shows like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and countless others are getting the love of just about everyone in their demographic. And I believe the majority for that is ease of access. Ask anyone on campus how they liked the last episode of Breaking Bad, and they will likely have an opinion. Ask them about any movie released after The Avengers, and you won't be so lucky.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Anthropology major checking in with two things to say. WOOO PEOPLE KNOW MY FIELD OF STUDY EXISTS, and you may have something there, though that might actually be something more in the realm of sociology and psychology. While it is dealing with humans, at least as I've encountered so far, Anthropology doesn't often deal with post-industrialized cultures, except in the biological sense or in the instances in which they affect industrialized, industrializing and pre-industrial societies. What you're talking about tends to be covered in much more depth, though with much less consideration for other stages of humanity, by the aforementioned other fields.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
piclemaniscool said:
I too would like to see see some demographics by an anthropologist.
Anthropologists don't study demographics. You're thinking of demographers. Anthropologists only touch on demographics in a glancing way when they study culture.