Escape to the Movies: Need for Speed - More Boring Than Nascar

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Need for Speed - More Boring Than Nascar

MovieBob thinks that if Need for Speed is indicative of the kind of films Electronic Arts wants to make, we're in for a lot of bad movies.

Watch Video

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Wow. It was so bad that you went ahead and put the summary in the title of the episode. Or is including a summary in the title similar to the video game reviews going to be a standard moving forwards?

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
You know it's bad when Bob's description makes it sound more fun than it is.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Ohhhh, that's who Aaron Paul is. I knew I recognized him from somewhere, but, not really being into Breaking Bad or a lot of TV in general, I couldn't place him. All I knew was that the movie was filled with people I didn't know (Michael Keaton not being part of the posters I saw), and that it was based off of a racing game that has been, more or less, at least part of the inspiration for a bunch of undoubtedly better racing movies. This was never on my list anyway, but now I'm definitely going to scratch it off.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Between this and Zero Punctuations 'Thief' episode I guess we're moving into the typical review format for the videos (i.e putting in a description, usually a pun).

It's awful when action films are boring, seeing as action is the (on paper) easiest genre to make the polar opposite with.

Daniel Lowery

Nov 3, 2010
If EA is making films, then next time, you'll have to pre-order your ticket for the next film before it has been started and then pay more for such extra scenes as the ending.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Daniel Lowery said:
If EA is making films, then next time, you'll have to pre-order your ticket for the next film before it has been started and then pay more for such extra scenes as the ending.
I'm shocked it took 5 posts for someone to make this joke.

Don't get me wrong, it made me smile. I just can't believe it wasn't post number one under the starter. :)

Also, can someone catch me up on the Mario/Yoshi thing from the credits?

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
To think they actually considered Aaron Paul for Eddie in the Dark Tower movie(s).

Good review Bob!

Baron Tanks

Mar 3, 2013
After having watched the review, I'm going to do the only sensible thing: watch Torque, cause I need to find out more about this.

OT: That this movie sucks surprises me hardly, seeing how it's greenlit by EA, shares a name with a game that should not inspire confidence when it comes to translating it in a movie. Heck, even if it was a little better, it won't compare favourably to the Fast and Furious franchise, because it's a small miracle they got that much leverage out of a similarly meager presence. The only thing that disappoints me is that Aaron Paul sucked as bad as he did, I was hoping the guy would be able to impress a little more :(

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
So the Need for Speed movie is about as good as the Fast & Furious: Showdown game eh?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
synobal said:
WTF was that torque clip, it was so retarded I was left wanting more.
Well if I recall correctly that was only one of like 3 WTF moments in the film with a silly stunt effect another was driving down a road while kissing a girl while swerving in and out of traffic with his eyes closed followed by his friend pulling up claiming he invented it.

Also in that random part of the underpass there are 2 freshly painted signs for Pepsi and Mt. Dew behind the good and bad biker girls from the click in there starting positions. If you ever see it you can play a guessing game on which one you'll see for the last time after the knife bike fight.

Man, the story for NfS sounds worse than I thought it would.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I'm not sure I agree with you about Aaron Paul. He hasn't really been in a lot of things but I did like him in the film Smashed(which is a pretty good movie by the way). I think the cards are still on the table for this guy. He has some cool films coming up though(like the Ridley Scott, Moses film) so I guess we'll know for sure soon.

I was never really expecting this to be good or even interesting anyway so it doesn't bother me if Aaron Paul is bad in it. He's gotta make cash from somewhere to fund him being awesome on twitter.

Credits slide: It's been nearly a week and I'm still laughing at The Flash thing. Man that looks like it would chafe.

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
SIM? Really Bob?

Any PC racer with all of the assists turned on is more of a SIM than that series. I loved some of the NFS games from the PS2/Xbox/GC era but come on just like I enjoy Ace Combat but come on...

That said, good review. I was surprised to see that it is centered around supercars. Who was this movie aiming for?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I don?t really get the point of calling this movie need for speed, ea should adapt a game that actually has a story like mass effect.

Is the yoshi island thing a spoiler? because If not im really currious what bob means.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Movie must have been boring if Bob couldn't make the review interesting.

Thanks for suffering through this crap so I don't have to do so.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Well... yeah, Bob, it's Need For Speed, no one expected it to be GOOD. Although I'll admit I'm surprised if Aaron Paul really was part of the problem. Also, "genetically engineered to die and provide heroic motivation." I want that on a T-Shirt.